Will we struggle in 07'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The departure of Asotasi,Myles and Grimaldi will leave a hole in our ranks espeacially in the forwards,we have Hickey the big 21yo for another year but he has big shoes to fill.On the other hand our young backs will be better from a semi final series and are showing promise but will we be as good again in 07?

H

Haztrick

We have the potential to be just as good or better in 2007 IMO..

Our backs are stronger. Emelio has developed into a fine player and we have brought Millard who is already a FG player and was Gasnier's understudy. Cutler went well in all games he played in FG as well and Ben Roberts is an awesome talent who should get a perminent FG spot and that will definitely lift our teams skill and speed.

In the forwards, we have seen the emergence of 2 great talents in Hickey and Kouparitsas. We have also brought Te Maari who we have heard great things about. If we move Mason to #10 and Williams to #11 we can play Hickey and Koups (or Te Maari of McIllwain) off the bench and that will ad some utility value.

Obviously, injuries and suspensions will play apart and if they go great, we shouldnt have much problem.

Anyway, I do believe we can be just as good, if not BETTER in 2007 than we where in 2006. Folkes just needs to sort out some issues (mainly the Hooker position) and we should be right.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have a solid team imo. We will be alright...don't know if we've got what it takes to win the comp. But providing we have minimal injuries, suspensions etc we should be up there.

Sambo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have a solid team imo. We will be alright...don't know if we've got what it takes to win the comp. But providing we have minimal injuries, suspensions etc we should be up there.
Bulldogs 2007 have the talent to take out the Premiership without doubt. The questions asked will be how injuries treat us and of course the bounce of the ball and refs calls and video refs calls etc

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the loss of grimaldi cant be overstated

who wants to pick up the slack and make 40 tackles a game?

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
the loss of grimaldi cant be overstated

who wants to pick up the slack and make 40 tackles a game?
Yep that is a fair point, and I reckon the likes of McIllwain, Armit and Hickey along with Koups will have to grow a little next season like they did this one as we need to have everyone working together as a team if we are going to do well.

The 2007 team is better on paper than the 06 one, we have substantial depth across the field, there are more challengers for every spot and I mean genuine ones and the team seems to be headed for a power game which includes the necessary element of speed and agility, something lacking in 2006.

The biggest question is whether the boys can cover the 2 workhorses lost in Asotasi and Grimaldi... I reckon though you will see Shrek, Chris, Jaza and Sonny if he can remain fit grown stronger and fill that gap together... they will need to do it together as no one is strong enough yet to do that on their own.

I reckon also having Maitua as a solid 13 who is now established will also help with the sides cohesion, and therefore I reckon 2007, as long as the team works as a team should, will be a more successful year for the blue and whites, a grand final appearance is what should be the aim.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The departure of Asotasi,Myles and Grimaldi will leave a hole in our ranks espeacially in the forwards,we have Hickey the big 21yo for another year but he has big shoes to fill.On the other hand our young backs will be better from a semi final series and are showing promise but will we be as good again in 07?
Dogs are definately better for the experience & also starting lineup is stronger or just as strong in 07. 2006 has an eery similarity to 2003 for mine and I defintely think we are a very good chance of making the GF in 2007 mainly because:

1) Our (injury free) starting lineup is stronger of you consider the depth in the backline with added Millard/Bott, and our pack with Shrek, Mason, SBW, Ryan Maitua is just as strong. Throw in Holdsworths (& Roberts') extra experience, our halves combo of Shifty & DJ will be better in 07. Also their is a chance of Ngwini or Roberts possibly providing spark from Hooker or the bench.

2) Our bench is slighty weaker however I think with Armit, Hickey, Koops, Mcilwain, Roberts/Ngwini/Perry/Hughes its still a solid bench with alot to offer!

3) Also the experience & disapointment of 06 can only be a positive.

Only a club like ours will be able to cover the loss of Asotasi (and Myles to a lesser extent) and have a team to seriously challenge for a premiership in 07. BRING IT ON!

:chainsaw:

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony Grimaldi is a huge loss.. theres 40 tackles a game someone else has to make up

asotasi as well he was carving up.. we need hickey to come good

nate myles well he was an awesome reserve grade player half decent first grader.. no where near the calibre of roy and grimaldi IMO

so the forward pack still looks decent... sherwin has to come good.. Utai and Tonga need to stay injury free and we'll be top 4 material

PHELPSY

DEEEEEEBO
Reaction score
Bring on 07!! i dont think we will struggle next year, were guna miss they players who hav gone but our youngsters and new recuits hav potentional!

Anastabation

Reaction score
We are premiership favourites so to anticipate a struggle is a bit silly. The dogs have lost a few players, like we do every year, but as long as injuries aren't too unkind, particularly in the outside backs we will be a force to be reckoned with. This is shaping up similar to 2004, when you think about it. In 03 we were supposedly a stronger side than 2004, we lost a few big names... but alot of young guys really emerged in 2004 including Maitua, Tonga and Asotasi and we went on to win the comp convincingly. Obviously there is no guarentee this will replicate itself but as long as we don't have an injury ridden season similar to 2005 we will be legit.

Sherwin and Tonga are the two major keys in my mind... we need a top shelf outside back and sherwin at his best, frankly we lacked that this year. Sherwin turned up with his boots for the semis and Tonga played well in patches but with a pack as good as ours, we should of shown more outwide.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
im not confident in saying we will finish in the top 2 again, although im confident that we will still be up near there somewhere. (3rd-5th)

Anastabation

Reaction score
im not confident in saying we will finish in the top 2 again, although im confident that we will still be up near there somewhere. (3rd-5th)
Quite frankly there is usually a fine line between 2-5 positions anyway, even if this season wasn't the best example. One thing this year did teach me was that its not necessary to sweat a top 2 finish because having the week off isn't necessarily that good and the top 6 should generally get a second chance anyway, as they only need to rely on 1st and 2nd to beat 7th and 8th.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Difference between 06 and 07 is that next year we will have quality to fill in for injury.

In 06 we had not back up halves or backs. We blooded Roberts who is now a very good player and will apply pressure to the incumbents. And better yet now we have awesome talent in the backs available. We are now able to cover a centre winger or Fullback with quality even if they are out for prolonged periods. E.g. If tonga is injured we have Emilio or Millard to fill the spot. Both very talented players. Last year we would of had to have gone with Cutler or Roberts or Phelps.

The key to 2007 is the quality of the depth. We have lost rep players and that is very difficult to overcome but I think our young players have the ability to stand up and supersede the departed.

Not too long ago Asotasi was the young player that needed to step up and shoulder much more responsibility and work load. In that 2-3 year period he became quote "The most dangerous and damaging Kiwi forward" according to Gordon Tallis. No reason why Hickey, Koupa and co can not be the next Asotasi. Asotasi was in no better position then these current players coming through are in. If anything Asotasi was under much more pressure are the dogs had won a premiership and he was reaplcing the number 10 jersey Steve Price made his own in his last few years at the dogs. Once again a player will have to step up and fill in the shoes left by the best prop in the NRL and fill the number 10 blue and white jersy.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
8.O'Meley
9.Roberts
10.Mason
11.Williams
12.Ryan
13.Maitua

PLUS

Armit
Hickey
Koups

I dont think we will struggle, if anything other teams will struggle against us

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
We have better depth this year if we gat minimal injuries we should make grand final finishing in the top 4 is important sometimes the week off is a detrement folkes needs to work out hooker position & pick on form

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Asotasi will be really sorely missed, but hopefully a move with Willie upfront might even it out a bit. IMO Roy has become MUCH better than Shrek over the last year, O'Meley just isn't as damaging of a runner as Roy. If Willie stays 2nd row, then Armit is a trustworthy replacement, albeit a very safe option.

Hickey is still very much wet behind the ears and needs much more time to become a regular starter.

Myles I never rated this year at all, I am glad he didn't eat up any of our cap.

Grimaldi, while we all love him, we are lucky he hadn't retired last season, let alone this season. Unfortunately injury forced his hand, but we need to look ahead and look for his replacement anyway. He was moved to hooker for a lot of the season, and i think we have better hookers in our midst. His defence will be the biggest loss, so everyone has to step up one or two tackles a game.

I don't think 1st or 2nd is realistic, unless we stay injury free for most of the season (unlikely). So I reckon 3rd - 6th. Which isn't bad, I just hope we don't peak too early like we did this year.

B

Ben Godberts

remember we are not the only team that has lost key players.

broncos lost webkye that will hurt them.
st george lost bailey. that will hurt them

those 2 teams where with us last yr.
name me 1 team that has picked up alot of players and lost none

Status
Not open for further replies.