News Why Jarome Luai is the games next $1 million man & Bulldogs signing Bronson Xerri officially returns after four-year doping ban ends

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL market watch: Why Jarome Luai is the games next $1 million man | Daily Telegraph
The Bulldogs watched another star name walk out the door on Monday and the sense is that they are stashing their cash for something big. They don’t come much bigger at the moment than Jarome Luai and if the ‘Dogs have any ambitions to climb the ladder, they’ll keep their powder dry until November 1 and load up on the Penrith five-eighth.

Break the bank and bust out on the Panthers playmaker, who added to his stature with his performance against Melbourne on Friday night. Weeks removed from a dislocated shoulder he starred for the Panthers in their win over Melbourne, cutting down Marion Seve in the opening minutes and turning away everything thereafter.

Luai finished the Storm win 12 tackles and remarkably, no misses. He did it all with a dodgy shoulder. Bulldogs bosses Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo – who didn’t really put up a fight to keep English international Luke Thompson and his big salary – no doubt took note.

Jarome Luai is worth at least $1 million a season, and several clubs are in dire need of his services. Picture: NRL Photos
Jarome Luai is worth at least $1 million a season, and several clubs are in dire need of his services. Picture: NRL Photos
All three clubs are in dire need of what Luai has to offer. He may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he is a serial winner.

He summed it up himself on Friday night when this reporter asked him for his thoughts in response to claims that he could have suffered a cataclysmic injury by playing against the Storm.

“Tell the doctor I’m built different brother,” Luai responded.

He certainly is and he is now a million-dollar man, or at least he will be if he decides to test the open market when November 1 arrives. The only question is how far north of that will the offers go and whether he is willing to accept less – and significantly less at that – to stay at Penrith.

It is realistic to suggest Luai could be worth up to $1.2 million or more from rival clubs given the dearth of quality halves available and the size of the salary cap, which is now well north of $11 million.

The Bulldogs are one club who will be monitoring Luai closely if the five-eighth decides to test the open market come November 1. Picture by Damian Shaw
The Bulldogs are one club who will be monitoring Luai closely if the five-eighth decides to test the open market come November 1. Picture by Damian Shaw
The best of the best – Kalyn Ponga and Nathan Cleary – are now testing the $1.5 million barrier. It is hard to argue Luai isn’t in the same bracket after watching the way he bounced back from a shoulder problem to help Penrith into a fourth consecutive grand final.

The Panthers have apparently laid their cards in the table. They will struggle to offer more than $800,000 a season due to their tight salary cap which means over the course of five years, Luai could conceivably earn an extra $2 million if he departs at the end of next season.

He would be difficult to replace given the Panthers winning record soars north of 80 per cent when Luai plays. To put that in perspective, their winning rate with Nathan Cleary in the line-up is just on 70 per cent.

Luai has sensibly put contracts talks on hold until the grand final is out of the way. That will leave Penrith less than a month to convince him to stay or face a bidding war for his services.

Canterbury, the Tigers and the Dragons will be watching closely. There are other playmakers who become available on November 1, led by North Queensland’s Tom Dearden and the Sydney Roosters Luke Keary. Luai is in his prime and ready to cash in.

Nathan Cleary is testing the $1.5m barrier and its hard to argue Luai doesn’t belong in the same bracket. Picture: Getty Images.
Nathan Cleary is testing the $1.5m barrier and its hard to argue Luai doesn’t belong in the same bracket. Picture: Getty Images.
“He would be in the sights of most teams,” former Bulldogs captain James Graham said on Triple M’s Monday Scrum.

“Most teams at recruitment meetings would be having a chat – do we make a play for Jarome. He is so successful, he is so good. Whether you like him or you don’t, you have to love his mindset.

“He is not really phased by people’s opinions of him. The mindset to get back in time for last week’s game was absolutely phenomenal.

“I love that quote tell the doctor I am built differently. Wow – he is and he proved it.”

DOG GONE: THOMPSON HEADING BACK TO THE UK

Luke Thompson’s NRL career is over with the Bulldogs prop heading back to the Super League.

Thompson will return to England after signing a mega deal to join Wigan from 2024. It is understood the deal is for four years.

Thompson had hoped to extend his time in Australia but the offer from Wigan to return home proved too difficult to reject.

Thompson’s stint in Australia was marred by injury at suspension. He played just 42 games after arriving midway through 2020 on a huge deal which made him one of the highest paid props in the game.

Thompson had made his mark playing for St Helens in England but will instead join rivals Wigan.

NRL 2024: Bulldogs signing Bronson Xerri officially returns after four-year doping ban ends | Daily Telegraph
Canterbury centre Bronson Xerri has heralded the end of his ban for drug abuse by thanking the Bulldogs for a second chance and vowing to keep his head down.

Xerri was one of the game’s rising stars when he was rubbed out after returning a positive test to a cocktail of steroids, costing him a multimillion-dollar deal with the Sharks.

He was handed a lifeline by the Bulldogs earlier this year and has been counting down the days until his return. While his ban doesn’t technically end until November, under the WADA guidelines he is free to return to training in the team facility two months before the official date.

Bronson Xerri can officially return to training. Picture: John Grainger
Bronson Xerri can officially return to training. Picture: John Grainger
That day has now arrived, although the Bulldogs are on holidays so he will be forced to be patient to join up with his teammates.

“Today marks the day my (four) year suspension comes to an end,” Xerri wrote on social media.

“It definitely hasn’t been easy, a lot of dark days and regret but life is what you make of it.

“I’ve been taught that If you get knocked down you get up and keep going... and that’s exactly what I did.

“Still a few weeks till I start with @nrl_bulldogs I’ll keep my head down and be greatful (sic) for the this second chance.”

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please throw the book at luai we need him surely he comes with the rest of the panthers connection here and cant wait to see xerri play to

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
There isnt really a dearth of halves, but a dearth of CREATIVE man manager halves.
The game has a fair amount of running 5/8s . Luai, Wighton, Gamble, brooks, Walker etc.

Unless we are trying to make an argument hes a crafty halfback and not a dancer.

His value is 700 large imo.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s a system merchant. I would be staying well clear away from Panther players who are either outside backs/spine players

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
There isnt really a dearth of halves, but a dearth of CREATIVE man manager halves.
The game has a fair amount of running 5/8s . Luai, Wighton, Gamble, brooks, Walker etc.

Unless we are trying to make an argument hes a crafty halfback and not a dancer.

His value is 700 large imo.
Nosheath- Luai in the current market will able to get $1m plus.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
They have said the most they can pay him is $800k
The nrl 360 guys said their offer ‘starts with a 7’ so most ppl assume he is offered 750.
But I have no doubt with a bit of this, and a bit of that, they’ll massage an extra 100 a year and he stays.
He will get offers of a mil but he isn’t a million player.
He’s Ben Roberts but in the best system.
Maybe a slightly more consistent version.