Why a roster overhaul at the Sydney Roosters is bad news for every other club

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2022: Why a roster overhaul at the Sydney Roosters is bad news for every other club
The Roosters were tipped to be among the premiership favourites this season, but it isn’t panning out that way and club chairman Nick Politis might want to shake things up.

Paul CrawleyPaul Crawley
June 10, 2022 - 11:49AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

As we enter the back half of the NRL season, Paul Crawley identifies six key issues set to explode in the coming months, and kicking off this weekend.
ARE ROOSTERS READY FOR A CLEANOUT?

The Roosters have already denied rumours about them being interested in Cameron Munster and Payne Haas.

But the way the season is panning out for a team many tipped as premiership favourites would have to be frustrating the hell out of Nick Politis.

Ever since Boyd Cordner, Jake Friend, Mitch Aubusson, Cooper Cronk and Brett Morris retired, the Roosters have just lost that aura of toughness and leadership that they built their reputation on.

And it seems every time you think their season is back on track, they suffer a relapse like they did last Sunday in Canberra — where some of their defence was just not what you’d come to expect from this club, while aside from Joey Manu the attack was lifeless, and their discipline terrible.

Admittedly, they were without Origin players James Tedesco and Daniel Tupou, as well as Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Victor Radley and Sam Verrills. But even so, look at how Penrith performed without their Origin stars, and that used to be the Roosters.

Which brings me to my point on Politis, who we all know doesn’t suffer mediocrity.

And when he sets out to fix a problem, he usually heads straight to the top shelf, identifying targets like Cronk, Sonny Bill Williams and Brandon Smith, and getting under everyone’s guard.

While there’s still time to turn it around this year, the Roosters are already four points adrift of the top four, with their next three games against the Storm, Eels and Panthers.

Remember, they were lucky to make it through to week two of the finals last year, though it was understandably excused because of a rotten run with injuries.

But if we get to the end of this season and they don’t make their presence felt again, I’m tipping Brandon Smith won’t be the only big change coming.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well that's bullshit, everyone knows all about Politis's wallet size. He doesn't get under anyone's guard, he just buys the guard and tells him to look the other way.

Always a Bulldog
Another Test star confesses - Roosters paid me in brown paper bags
Former Great Britain star Bobbie Goulding claims that on arriving in Sydney he was taken to City Ford and given a car. In the glovebox, a brown paper bag full of cash. And it kept on coming.
May 23 Sydney
RUGBY LEAGUE

The Mole

The Mole
May 23 2020

A THIRD Test star has admitted he received illicit money from the Sydney Roosters in brown paper bags.
Two weeks ago, I wrote a story that Kiwi legends Dane and Kurt Sorensen both confirmed that they moved to the Roosters from Cronulla for undeclared cash in the mid 1980s.

That prompted former Great Britain superstar Bobbie Goulding to call me from England this week to add fuel to one of league’s most talked-about rumours - that the Roosters allegedly paid players down the years in brown paper bags.

“Your story brought back memories of my experience with the Roosters when I came to the club for a short stint in 1991,” Goulding told me.
“I was just a kid and they made me a good offer to come over and play in Oz.
“I arrived at the airport and a couple of the lads picked me up and drove me to (club sponsor) City Ford.
“I’ll never forget it because I’d never had a car before. But it got better. One of the boys said to me ‘look in the glove box’.
“I did so - and there was en envelope with $1000 cash - which was a lot of money in those days.
“I thought it was a bit odd - but I wasn’t going to say no - I was a kid and didn’t know any better.”

For the next two weeks, Goulding claims he met a Roosters staffer and given further bundles of cash in bags.
But things quickly went sour for the Great Britain star.

“I wasn’t in first grade and after that third week, the money stopped coming,” he said.
“I told the club ‘If you don’t pay me next week, I am going home.
“I stayed three more weeks without getting paid, then got an offer from Leeds, and went home.”

Goulding claims the Roosters tried to smear his name after he left.

“They said I trashed my apartment, stole the TV and VCR and didn’t return the car,” he said.
“Look, I’m no angel and did some bad things in the past, usually on the drink.
“But what was I going to do with the TV and video player - take them on the plane?
“And as for the car, I got a mate to take it back.”

Goulding, something of a bad boy in his playing career, claims he is now a changed man.

“I wasn’t an alcoholic because I didn’t drink every day, but when I did drink, I binged and became a dickhead,” he said.
“I’ve been sober for eight years now and would love to get back into the game, hopefully in a coaching role.”

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another Test star confesses - Roosters paid me in brown paper bags
Former Great Britain star Bobbie Goulding claims that on arriving in Sydney he was taken to City Ford and given a car. In the glovebox, a brown paper bag full of cash. And it kept on coming.
May 23 Sydney
RUGBY LEAGUE

The Mole

The Mole
May 23 2020

A THIRD Test star has admitted he received illicit money from the Sydney Roosters in brown paper bags.
Two weeks ago, I wrote a story that Kiwi legends Dane and Kurt Sorensen both confirmed that they moved to the Roosters from Cronulla for undeclared cash in the mid 1980s.

That prompted former Great Britain superstar Bobbie Goulding to call me from England this week to add fuel to one of league’s most talked-about rumours - that the Roosters allegedly paid players down the years in brown paper bags.

“Your story brought back memories of my experience with the Roosters when I came to the club for a short stint in 1991,” Goulding told me.
“I was just a kid and they made me a good offer to come over and play in Oz.
“I arrived at the airport and a couple of the lads picked me up and drove me to (club sponsor) City Ford.
“I’ll never forget it because I’d never had a car before. But it got better. One of the boys said to me ‘look in the glove box’.
“I did so - and there was en envelope with $1000 cash - which was a lot of money in those days.
“I thought it was a bit odd - but I wasn’t going to say no - I was a kid and didn’t know any better.”

For the next two weeks, Goulding claims he met a Roosters staffer and given further bundles of cash in bags.
But things quickly went sour for the Great Britain star.

“I wasn’t in first grade and after that third week, the money stopped coming,” he said.
“I told the club ‘If you don’t pay me next week, I am going home.
“I stayed three more weeks without getting paid, then got an offer from Leeds, and went home.”

Goulding claims the Roosters tried to smear his name after he left.

“They said I trashed my apartment, stole the TV and VCR and didn’t return the car,” he said.
“Look, I’m no angel and did some bad things in the past, usually on the drink.
“But what was I going to do with the TV and video player - take them on the plane?
“And as for the car, I got a mate to take it back.”

Goulding, something of a bad boy in his playing career, claims he is now a changed man.

“I wasn’t an alcoholic because I didn’t drink every day, but when I did drink, I binged and became a dickhead,” he said.
“I’ve been sober for eight years now and would love to get back into the game, hopefully in a coaching role.”

This should be a pinned post at the top of thread.. Great post

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Suck shit they haven’t won more comps really. Shows how hard it is to win an nrl title, and what things need to align throughout the year. All the money in the world doesn’t help sometimes.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Imagine you're a gun front row forward and you want $1M per season but your club will only pay $750,000. You get an offer from a well known Sydney club for $600,000 per season and your wife gets offered a job as a marketing consultant to a prominent Sydney auto dealership @ $400,000. It is pure coincidence that the two offers arrive together and the club know nothing about your wife's job offer. You take the job and live happily ever after.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Imagine you're a gun front row forward and you want $1M per season but your club will only pay $750,000. You get an offer from a well known Sydney club for $600,000 per season and your wife gets offered a job as a marketing consultant to a prominent Sydney auto dealership @ $400,000. It is pure coincidence that the two offers arrive together and the club know nothing about your wife's job offer. You take the job and live happily ever after.
This is the correct answer

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The story loses weight when the word "might" appears in the first paragraph.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a small renewal. Perhaps injuries, suspensions have taken their toll on a poorly led Roosters side.

Zzzzzzz

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Does that maggot Fletcher always have to mention the roosters on matty John show like who gives a fuck why put dumb dumbs on tv cant believe he has not fucked up yet and got axed

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does that maggot Fletcher always have to mention the roosters on matty John show like who gives a fuck why put dumb dumbs on tv cant believe he has not fucked up yet and got axed

With the quality of ex league players that make the jump to those shitty shows, whoever they get will just be a thousand times worse