Opinion Who was your Bulldogs Idol/s when you were growing up?

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My idols were -
The best forward pack in RL history - Langmack, Folkes, Gillespie, Battese, Kelly & Tunks
The best Grand Final Try ever.....Steve Gearin and Greg Brentnall
but the best of the best - Lamb & Turvey.
I watched a Bulldogs game v Manly from 1984 on YouTube the other day.

The forward pack you mentioned were on display ..... one word ... BRUTAL.

Manly had Chris Close and Noel Cleal playing. .... Close was flattened in the first 5 mins ... left the field ... Cleal never touched the ball until the second half .... he was terrified.

Sat on the SCG hill for the Gearin try .... unforgettable .... somehow you could see what was about to unfold .... like time stood still ... the beginning of our golden era.

Lamb and Turvey ... what can you say other than they were a brilliant pairing ... up with the best ever.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baa was my favourite growing up. I became a lifelong supporter in 88 when he knocked out Ellery.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Geoff Robinson
And Steve Mortimer
And to a lesser extent Mick Potter

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hazem El Masri
Didnt have the internet or access to newspaper to keep track of his point scoring. So would watch or listen with pen and paper on hand to keep tally of every try/ goal the great man got.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbo had such a cult status, so many great memories Turvey and Lamb, the Smiths but the forward packs Cement and co…hard to separate.

Expedite

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The great Terry Lamb, even got to have a beer with him at a pre season game against the Sharks in West Wyalong.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baa was my favourite growing up. I became a lifelong supporter in 88 when he knocked out Ellery.
Sadly if Baa and Farrar didn't take out Ellery, we could've lost that day as Ellery was such a big influence for the Tigers. Thank God we won as I couldn't stand it if Ben Elias got to do a lap of honour.

Hounddub

Waterboy
Reaction score
So many over the years, Baa, Turvey, Cement, Peponis, Johns, Pay, Folks, Tunks, Hetherington, Langmack, Smith, Sherwin, any Hughes, any other Mortimer and even more recently Clyde, Bobcat, Hazem, SBW just to name a few.

Impossible the name the definitive idol, too many of them.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
First were Hazem and The General! Had the best signs at the game too. "Follow the Patten" & "he Hazem by the balls"

I remember we'd go to the park with mates who were also Doggies supporters kicking conversions trying to swing the ball like Hazem. Putting up bombs and trying to get to them with urgency like the General.

Then as I got older I began to respect the toughness and physicality of the forwards of that era like Big Willie and Shrek. Bobcat as well, enjoyed watching him go about his business. SBW for the big hits as well until he burned the bridge. SBW was a favourite in primary school for heaps of kids, every kid that was into footy knew he was a beast in defense.