Who should be the Bulldogs halves for Round 2?

Who should be the Bulldogs halves for Round 2?

• Drew Hutchison & Matt Burton

Votes: 28 18.7%
  • Toby Sexton & Matt Burton

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Toby Sexton & Drew Hutchison

Votes: 47 31.3%
  • Toby Sexton & Connor Tracey

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Drew Hutchison & Connor Tracey

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Toby Sexton & Blake Taaffe

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Drew Hutchison & Blake Taaffe

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lippo hopoi.
Has gone from right edge in NSW Cup to starting prop in Ron Massey Cup.
And fair enough. That edge (not all his fault) was leaky AF. I thought he was meant to be a middle anyway. So probably a coaching error being selected on the edge.

Perham is still there though, so I guess it must have been all Lippo's fault.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't know what the "settled" backs combo will end up being. I doubt it will be the 1-7 that ran out last week.

I would have gone 7. Sexton to start (various, well-discussed reasons), and built from that but Ciraldo's gone the other way - Hutch.
So, he's seen "something", but his track record of "seeing" hasn't been great to date and no signs, yet, of improving (please get better Cameron - if you can).

I don't think there's a quick fix to this unfortunately. Panic chopping and changing could send us sideways or backwards just as easily as "cracking the code."

So, measured & subtle changes required:

Rounds 1-3: I would give this lineup another 2 games, to see if there is any improvement. That's right, no changes. Painful but necessary.

Rounds 4-5: Crichton or Tracey to #1 (if Taffe doesn't shape up) and the other in the Centre spot. [If Fox does get back quicker, say round 3, bring this move up a week]

Round 6-7: Sexton in for Hutch (if he is still a problem). No changes to Burton's position/role, until we do everything possible to get the right combination around him.

So, into the bye (round 8) our backs look something like: 1. Crichton, 2 Wilson, 3 Kiraz, 4, Tracey, 5 Addo-Carr, 6 Burton, 7 Sexton

By then, junior grades have finished and we are going to have to move some prospects up to Flegg, with flow-on effects to NSW Cup. So, if it's still not working by the 1st Bye, we might need to be considering a more radical overhaul (eg Papalii, O'Neil) from round 10 (when eligible).

Then again. Maybe it all 'clicks' this week or next, and we're entering the bye on 5-6 wins, no need for changes, and we're all talking premiership? :tonguewink:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing will change.

6 Burton
7 Hutch

Cirro will consider yesterday's outing a success so won't change a thing. Unless we get thumped I dont see him dropping the axe before round 10 or so
There were some interviews during preseason where burto said he had to prove he is a 5 8th and had to earn his spot.
I think Cc is giving him a couple of weeks to prove himself.
I can see burto moving to left centre at some stage soon.