Which SPORT is Tougher, Rugby League or American Football? | NRL vs NFL

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It’s an ongoing debate between die hard sports fans – Which sport is tougher, Rugby League or American Football?

Let me know which of the two you think is the toughest in the comments. Cheers!

Footage: Fox League, NRL, Bloke in a Bar, Joe Rogan, NFL

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Measure the force of two front rowers running at full pace directly at each other off the back fence, ala spud and the chief, jimmy and burgess etc not a fucking stationary dummy, No contest rugby league is a way tougher sport. If I had to pick one bloke on the planet to not get tackled by it would be George Tafua.............Fuck that.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1: Rugby due to contested scrums, rucks and maul's, there is however a greater instance of injury making a tackle.
2: League.
3: NFL

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A better question might be "which sport wastes more of the spectators' time"? The footy (what else could we call it?) is 80 minutes, and typically gets padded out to two hours. American football is 60 minutes and typically goes for over three hours. It's no contest, in more than one sense.

I spend a lot of time - maybe too much time - watching Kayo these days, and a lot of what I watch is pretty boring, but I'm not yet bored enough to want to watch the NFL. I'd rather watch Albo addressing the National Press Club (no! I wouldn't! I'm indulging myself in a bit of hyperbole) :laughing: .

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
15-20 years ago would’ve been hands down rugby league, now not so sure it’s become more of a touch footy game.
No shoulder charge, no punch ups you can even get suspended for hitting a player to hard.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
15-20 years ago would’ve been hands down rugby league, now not so sure it’s become more of a touch footy game.
No shoulder charge, no punch ups you can even get suspended for hitting a player to hard.
This. The collision in NFL seems greater

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to define "tougher"....

The modern rugby league game has been watered down in terms of where you can legitimately hit someone.

On that note, it seems the NFL has a greater incidence of high impact collisions, although not as frequent as league. They also enter the field with protection (helmets and padding).

In my opinion simply taking the field knowing you don't have any protection and rely simply on the opposition playing within the rules, and knowing that high impact collisions can happen at any time, makes rugby league by far tougher.

Just the wrestle alone is tough in itself as you can get twisted against the natural movements of your body.

The contest would have to be between league and union which I probably cant split at this time

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
NFL hands down. Don’t get me wrong you have to be tough to play NRL too but NRL you take a hit up and rest. NFL they are hitting each other and hitting each other hard every play, especially the o-line.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rugby League - When players were allowed to shoulder charge into players heads.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
NFL hands down. Don’t get me wrong you have to be tough to play NRL too but NRL you take a hit up and rest. NFL they are hitting each other and hitting each other hard every play, especially the o-line.
And then they take all the players from both teams off the field and replace them with 2 whole new teams of players.

The average number of tackles by a team in an NFL game is less than 70 and in an average NFL game up to 50 players suite up for each game, they may or may not all play as they are allowed unlimited interchanges.

The average number of tackles by a team in an NRL game is more than 300 and in an NRL game only 17/18 players are in uniform.

Individual hits, there is an argument for NFL, but I judge toughness more on repetitive hits and NRL wins that hands down.

Always a Bulldog

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And then they take all the players from both teams off the field and replace them with 2 whole new teams of players.

The average number of tackles by a team in an NFL game is less than 70 and in an average NFL game up to 50 players suite up for each game, they may or may not all play as they are allowed unlimited interchanges.

The average number of tackles by a team in an NRL game is more than 300 and in an NRL game only 17/18 players are in uniform.

Individual hits, there is an argument for NFL, but I judge toughness more on repetitive hits and NRL wins that hands down.

Always a Bulldog
Those stats don’t tell the whole story. Tackles in the NFL are when you hit the guy with the ball. They don’t call the belting each other at the line of scrimmage a tackle so officially yeah they might only do 70 tackles in a game but I guarantee you they are “tackling” each other a lot more than that!!

Also yea they do replace players on every play but there are still players who stay out there for over 90% of plays which would add up

Last edited:

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
A lot of the contact between the O-line and the D-line is pushing/ maneuvering though more than hitting IMO.

NRL hands down for mine.