Where's the mongrel going to come from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, we've won twelve on the trot and there's no way anyone can knock that. Its been a top team effort from Benny to Big Sam.

But the things that really worry me are how we won our last two against the Broncos and Tigers, we had no mongrel in attack or defence.

For the first 20 minutes against the Broncos they treated us like a second tier side in a training run. Then they ran out of commitment. Then we took over and got the win.

The Tigers (although always offside IMO) hit us with aggressive defence and we made small metres most of the match. If the two 50/50 rulings on "The Pritcxhard Affair" and Farah's disallowed try didn't go our way the game could have easily been a Tigers win.

So, re the Broncos, where is our aggression in defence going to come from? And re the Tigers where is the variation in attack and hit it up go forward going to come from?

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I have mentioned it before, the way it looks, it seems that we are saving our plays for the semis and basically we are in self-preservation mode to minimise injuries. We are doing just enough to win but nothing over the top.

Desmond is not going to show his cards 2-3 weeks out of the finals, the mongrel is there, it will be unleashed in 3 weeks time.....

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
I have mentioned it before, the way it looks, it seems that we are saving our plays for the semis and basically we are in self-preservation mode to minimise injuries. We are doing just enough to win but nothing over the top.

Desmond is not going to show his cards 2-3 weeks out of the finals, the mongrel is there, it will be unleashed in 3 weeks time.....
Yes I agree with you DoggFather, Des Hasler already knows that we made it to Finals so keep our plays and secrets for the Finals so when we come to play Finals none of the teams wouldn't know our plays...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Best start of the season was against the Storm. We went on the attack and for the throat straight out of the gates. We haven't done that since though.

I think as others have said, Des isn't showing his hand just yet. He knows the sides potential but is keeping them grounded instead of blowing a team away 60-nil approaching the finals.

Des seems to know how to beat other teams. If they change their game plan, he rectifies that at half time.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score

yeah this. look at the Manly game we'll fire up massive when it counts imo.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I dont understand what u mean by saving our plays???

if we do have new plays, its not a straight forward thing to do on the field during a game...

we would have to be trying them now.... they might not work come game day....

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I dont understand what u mean by saving our plays???

if we do have new plays, its not a straight forward thing to do on the field during a game...

we would have to be trying them now.... they might not work come game day....
Again, saving the plays for the games that matter. Just a quick example, when you go to war, you dont display exactly how many tanks, planes and troops you have before you attack, let the other side find out the hard way.

D

dogfight_4real

Again, saving the plays for the games that matter. Just a quick example, when you go to war, you dont display exactly how many tanks, planes and troops you have before you attack, let the other side find out the hard way.
Shutup *** father ur points r stupid so plz put a cok in it

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, we've won twelve on the trot and there's no way anyone can knock that. Its been a top team effort from Benny to Big Sam.

But the things that really worry me are how we won our last two against the Broncos and Tigers, we had no mongrel in attack or defence.

For the first 20 minutes against the Broncos they treated us like a second tier side in a training run. Then they ran out of commitment. Then we took over and got the win.

The Tigers (although always offside IMO) hit us with aggressive defence and we made small metres most of the match. If the two 50/50 rulings on "The Pritcxhard Affair" and Farah's disallowed try didn't go our way the game could have easily been a Tigers win.

So, re the Broncos, where is our aggression in defence going to come from? And re the Tigers where is the variation in attack and hit it up go forward going to come from?

The mongrel you are looking for is from Romelo. He should be in the team instead of Corey Payne who offers nothing but merely gives away penalties when he comes on

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
In attack : Eastwood is good for 10-15m charges. Pritchard, Tolman, Graham, Kasiano and Payne will lumber and either offload or get a regulation 8-12m.

The young boys Jackson, Taupau and Finucane are good X-factors here.

In defense : We're more efficient ball-locker-up-er-ers ... That being said, they're all capable of a big hit. Look for 'everybody' to make at least one HIT of magnitude, rather than rely on it from one player.

The backs chime in here too. Reynolds likes it. Inu had fun last week.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you saying we are not fit enough and look a bit lethargic?
Train the fat boys harder so they can play 60 minutes if need be, our goal line defence is starting to leak and we need to them to crunch.
It was only a matter of time before we didn't have much to play for and a desperate side broke our line.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
A couple of guys (one being Feastwood) are definitely not fit enough, but I don't think that matters too much. I am happy for us to play it a bit safe until the finals to try and minimise injuries. We seriously can't handle many more.

BudgyBulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
LOL - Nice tip. But I think your point could be used with a better example.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Wait for the finals mate, the Dogs of War will be unleashed.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best start of the season was against the Storm. We went on the attack and for the throat straight out of the gates. We haven't done that since though.

I think as others have said, Des isn't showing his hand just yet. He knows the sides potential but is keeping them grounded instead of blowing a team away 60-nil approaching the finals.

Des seems to know how to beat other teams. If they change their game plan, he rectifies that at half time.
The start against the knights was better..

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
The Broncos fans are still going off , reckon they got a bad call , hey , a win is a win - just like a hj ....... even a bad one is still good lol

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
im not too worried. theyve done the hard yards when they beat manly and melbourne. the team and the coach know theyre more than capable of muscling up when needed.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dont get the point of the discussion really. We have the best defense in the NRL after 24 rounds against all-comers. Tigers and Broncos were both top 8 teams when we played them and trying their guts out to win. I dont buy that its a certainty that Tigers would have won if we didnt get that last try, the fire in their belly they got from that try probably contributed to them scoring again. You make your own luck.

We have been scoring plenty of points the last half of the season (as well as the first half) so not sure what anyone is worried about there. We have a number of fantastic attackers and forwards who play like halves. We also have a fearsome pack with plenty of go forward who go hard the whole 80 minutes. The mongrel will come from Des, but its already there.

Why would we be busting our guts to win like its finals already at the moment anyway, we are 4 points clear at the top and have been for weeks. We beat top 8 teams in 2nd gear. Des has won 2 recent premierships so knows what it takes to win it, and based on what we have seen so far this year, i dont have any doubt Des will get the best out of them when it counts.

Much ado about nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.