What happened with the Dib meeting today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
dib ordered some expensive food but after tasting the lobster he didnt like it that much and tried to get the other ceo's to buy the leftovers off him for cheap

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it isn't - directly. The NRL will give each club around $13m cash next year, but the cap is only an arbitrary value designed to limit the capacity of clubs to pay unaffordable contracts to players. If there wasn't a cap to limit spending then we could just go on buying players at whatever price and go and get the money from the leagues club or sponsors. Overall the club spends around $30m a year on the footy operations, of which the NRL will give us the $13m. Most of the money comes from sponsorship and memberships etc.
Thats not what i read. If the cap is less than
10m, the club will also get less than 13m. If nrl also change their mind about the 3m on top of the players salary, clubs can collect only 11 - 12m.
Assuming you are right abt clubs operating at around 30m, which i think is too high, thats about 3 to 6% short of what is expected. For a lot of companies that can make a big difference.
Thats just what i read + i made a lot of assumptions too.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is something i dont undertand. After parra got caught for cheating the cap last year, they had to let go players and get under the cap in order to play for points. They talked watmough into retirement and loaned morgan out and got under the cap in a relatively quick time. Why do we have to let go so many players? And seems to struggle to do that.
Sure we signed foran and woods but the cap is also increased + we have players coming of contracts as well

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ray Dib sampled Raelene's "Spicy Clam" and promptly threw up all over the floor. Meeting was called off shortly after.

There is something i dont undertand. After parra got caught for cheating the cap last year, they had to let go players and get under the cap in order to play for points. They talked watmough into retirement and loaned morgan out and got under the cap in a relatively quick time. Why do we have to let go so many players? And seems to struggle to do that.
Sure we signed foran and woods but the cap is also increased + we have players coming of contracts as well
Because it's mostly paper talk.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I understand the importance and use of a 'cap', I was just of the impression that the grant money provided by the nrl was to give a club the means to field a first grade team not just x amount of millions a year to do with whatever you want.

What's to stop a club that's in the red from just fielding a reserve grade team each year and holding onto the cash for themselves?
Nothing. Essentially that is what Newcastle have done although the reason for it was because Bennett blew their cap initially. The big question though is who is going to keep their memberships and buy merchandise and who will sponsor a team that is set up to get flogged every week (yes I know the irony of what I'm saying!)

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Two different sets of circumstances. In the Eels case they kept playing last season after being caught. The NRL, allegedly, have warned us in advance that we need to fix it up before March. People are throwing names around because they can not because they all have to go. Even if we had to drop $1m, that would be say the Morris boys or Eastwood/Tolman not all 4 of them.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats not what i read. If the cap is less than
10m, the club will also get less than 13m. If nrl also change their mind about the 3m on top of the players salary, clubs can collect only 11 - 12m.
Assuming you are right abt clubs operating at around 30m, which i think is too high, thats about 3 to 6% short of what is expected. For a lot of companies that can make a big difference.
Thats just what i read + i made a lot of assumptions too.
You are correct. It will be the cap plus 30% - which is why I said around $13m. Until the cap is set the clubs won't know how much they get.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we are making everyone available to give us maximum options but only a few need to go, if we let go of more players then it is what we wanted to do unforced

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Steady on! what do you mean we got caught for cheating?
I for one am sick to death of you dogs fans making up malicious stories about my club.
Enoughs enough FFS!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Steady on! what do you mean we got caught for cheating?
I for one am sick to death of you dogs fans making up malicious stories about my club.
Enoughs enough FFS!
What do you mean "what do you mean"? You guys breached the cap (cheated) just like we did. Difference is that we were hung out to dry so the Rorters could be handed the premiership and your guys were held fairly un-accountable.....

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
What do you mean "what do you mean"? You guys breached the cap (cheated) just like we did. Difference is that we were hung out to dry so the Rorters could be handed the premiership and your guys were held fairly un-accountable.....
@Serpent is taking the piss out of his club his trying to be sarcastic.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, if you were one of the weaker clubs who wouldn't have 10 mil anyway why would you let the dogs get off the hook? If I were them I would say no and get their players cheap and the club to pay some of their salary. Dib and Des got us in this and they need to leave.
There isn't an NRL club in the comp that would raise a finger to help the Bulldogs. Just my opinion but as I see it the other fifteen clubs are just sitting back with a big smirk waiting for the Dogs to stagger away from their own train wreck and be a non competitive outfit until at least 2020.

As far as the "Des & Dib Show" is concerned they got us into the shit but the hole they've dug for themselves is just too deep to get out of without selling off our top ranking players; starting with our Origin reps and working down from there. Financially Hasler will be okay, but Dib... who knows? I know nothing about corporate law but maybe he can br hit with some sort of charge related to breaking Corporate Governance. I hope he gets his financial arse kicked until his nose bleeds.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There isn't an NRL club in the comp that would raise a finger to help the Bulldogs. Just my opinion but as I see it the other fifteen clubs are just sitting back with a big smirk waiting for the Dogs to stagger away from their own train wreck and be a non competitive outfit until at least 2020.

As far as the "Des & Dib Show" is concerned they got us into the shit but the hole they've dug for themselves is just too deep to get out of without selling off our top ranking players; starting with our Origin reps and working down from there. Financially Hasler will be okay, but Dib... who knows? I know nothing about corporate law but maybe he can br hit with some sort of charge related to breaking Corporate Governance. I hope he gets his financial arse kicked until his nose bleeds.
I'm a doggies fan and I think we should be forced to sit with our mistakes for 2018 so yeah why would the other clubs care if it doesn't help themselves. Des will financially be fine but IMO there will always be a question mark against his coaching record for his time at the Dogs. If Des is as anal as it seems that will always haunt him I reckon. We can only hope that Dib loses this year, fingers crossed!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a doggies fan and I think we should be forced to sit with our mistakes for 2018 so yeah why would the other clubs care if it doesn't help themselves. Des will financially be fine but IMO there will always be a question mark against his coaching record for his time at the Dogs. If Des is as anal as it seems that will always haunt him I reckon. We can only hope that Dib loses this year, fingers crossed!
No doubt about it. The best that Des can hope for on his report card is "FAIL".

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Can we have a thread that contains Dib's famous quotes like:

- judge us at the end of the season

- don't jump to conclusions remember 2014

Etc etc

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Seriously though, if you were one of the weaker clubs who wouldn't have 10 mil anyway why would you let the dogs get off the hook? If I were them I would say no and get their players cheap and the club to pay some of their salary. Dib and Des got us in this and they need to leave.
They all get the cap money anyway. The nrl top them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.