What did you honestly expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reading the posts on here over the last 24 hours and reading how everyone is predicting doom and gloom for the bulldogs in 2008 and beyond, I ask the question: What were your expectations for the bulldogs at the start of the season? As far as I'm concerned 2008 is a re-building year and I'll even go as far to say 2009 will also be seen as a re-building year albeit far more advanced than 2008. I agree re-building = blooding new players and giving them a taste of first grade, but I really can't understand all the negativity on this forum. You can't expect the team to be a top 4 side every year, it's just not possible in modern day rugby league. People need to put things in perspective and stop being so pessimistic.

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My expectation was to make top 8, between 6-8 & to do that you only need to win 50% of your games which we can do Theres still 21 rounds to go, so have some faith, anything above that is a bonus

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't expect us to be contendors this year but I do expect them to play with passion, I expect them to show urgency, I expect them to be competative, I expect a decent showing, I expecting them to show some structure, I expect our halves, sorry Halfback, to grab the game by the balls and show some dominance and not wait for your 6 and 11 to produce something on thr 5th tackle.

Am I expecting too much?

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
I always knew that 2008 and 2009 would be rebuilding phases for the club as we lost a lot of depth in the forwards and with shifty sherwin being released to play in the ESL. With the newly implemented structure as well, my expectations for 2008 were to play with passion for the blue and whites.

dogsrareligion

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Reading the posts on here over the last 24 hours and reading how everyone is predicting doom and gloom for the bulldogs in 2008 and beyond, I ask the question: What were your expectations for the bulldogs at the start of the season? As far as I'm concerned 2008 is a re-building year and I'll even go as far to say 2009 will also be seen as a re-building year albeit far more advanced than 2008. I agree re-building = blooding new players and giving them a taste of first grade, but I really can't understand all the negativity on this forum. You can't expect the team to be a top 4 side every year, it's just not possible in modern day rugby league. People need to put things in perspective and stop being so pessimistic.
Are you serious???

Expectations have to be high my friend otherwise the mediocrity will be the bulldogs middle name. I think you might be talking about reality. Expectations can be high but reality is that they might not achieve those expectations.

If you think its not possible to be a top four side every year then your expectations are very low. If Melbourne pull it off, then it is possible.

Understand peoples emotions, its not negativity.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Canberra/Tigers game yesterday? If Bulldogs played with the passion Canberra played with, we would have won yesterday.

H

Haztrick

I was expecting a top 6 finish, honestly. With the roster we have I think it's possible. But then again, I thought Groom would have been used at half back from the beginning of the year.

Now, I'm not too sure what to expect. Probably struggle to scrape into the 8. It is a bit of a rebuilding year but we still have a damn strong roster.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
I expect them to play for 80 minutes. Thats all. If we don't have the skills to win so be it, we are rebuilding and we've lost a bit of talent across the park.

But at least play for the 80 and get the basics right.

So far we haven't done it in 08.

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Are you serious???

Expectations have to be high my friend otherwise the mediocrity will be the bulldogs middle name. I think you might be talking about reality. Expectations can be high but reality is that they might not achieve those expectations.

If you think its not possible to be a top four side every year then your expectations are very low. If Melbourne pull it off, then it is possible.

Understand peoples emotions, its not negativity.
I am serious, the likes of Melbourne and Brisbane have one distinct advantage over us and the rest of the Sydney clubs... they are ONE team towns, therefore they have a greater spread of the talent and in Melbourne's case a relatively low public profile hence making it attractive for players to stay. We don't have that luxury and will often find it harder to retain playing talent.
You can't expect to have the heart and soul ripped out of your team in the pre-season and then expect to be world beaters the next season.

Naji

CBF
Reaction score
i expect us to stop letting in soft tries from kicks FFS!

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Re-Building year or not mate, its still damn hard to watch the team you love play like absolute pussies :(

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
Re-Building year or not mate, its still damn hard to watch the team you love play like absolute pussies :(
I'm sure you were going for the dogs back in:
  • 1989 - 1993
  • 2000 - 2001
We were sh!thouse in those years, and we're going pretty ordinary now...

This is what tests you as a Dogs supporter... how you can stick with them in good times and bad

dogsrareligion

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am serious, the likes of Melbourne and Brisbane have one distinct advantage over us and the rest of the Sydney clubs... they are ONE team towns, therefore they have a greater spread of the talent and in Melbourne's case a relatively low public profile hence making it attractive for players to stay. We don't have that luxury and will often find it harder to retain playing talent.
You can't expect to have the heart and soul ripped out of your team in the pre-season and then expect to be world beaters the next season.
The reality of the situation is that we are the canterbury bankstown bulldogs. We had a crap off season in the media and we have obtained a new look and new players.

Expectations of a top 8 finish or top 4 finish shouldnt decrease. As long as the players believe in that goal then they will give themself every opportunity to achieve it. They cant be playing the way they're playing and expect us to except "its a rebuilding year". That's bulls%it.

A winning culture comes down to heart, belief, a great coach and some decent skill.

riomhach

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The reality of the situation... like it or not... is that we are in a rebuilding situation. We lost a lot of depth and we need to get it back by blooding a lot of young players who have a lot to learn - including how to play for 80 minutes and to keep the stamina throughout the game.

I think a top 8 position is possible, but there has been a lot of upheavil and bad press. Give the boys a break - we (players and us fans)have had to put up with the WF crap, losing Noad, the resignation of Folkes, the new CEO appointment and soon a new coach... I think the team has done really well to keep it all together.

I want to see heart and passion from the players, and I think we are getting it, but it is highly subjective.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are rebuilding sure, but didn't anyone notice that Anasta and Thurston who would have figured in management's eyes as our long term halves BOTH left...despite this happening in 2004-2005...we are still having problems with our halves.
We have been "rebuilding "our scrumbase combo, with no idea and no result since then.
Roberts has emerged as a first grade player, but we persist with the experiment of Holdworth at half, which didn't work last time we tried it.

Quite frankly the players are not to blame, the c*ckeyed, apathetic & arrogant management of the club is the problem.

Good luck to Moore, hope he proves he has the vision & conviction of his old man, and management supports him in getting who and what he wants regardless of the cost.

A

A_C

Certainly not that high. Always said we would be lucky to make the 8 - in saying that I still go to games and support the team. It is a time for rebuilding and I said this last season. The time has come to endure a couple lean years in order for long term success.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly not that high. Always said we would be lucky to make the 8 - in saying that I still go to games and support the team. It is a time for rebuilding and I said this last season. The time has come to endure a couple lean years in order for long term success.
i agree
this year and next we will not be contending (obviously)
2010 however should see us well placed under our new coach
with alot of deadwood cut adrift and a new generation
of bulldogs primed to prosper. This coupled with some
astute recruitment, this doesnt include buying
nobodys like carl webb, should see us well and truly in the
firing line.
the powers that be have nade it near impossible for long periods of
dominance to be established, mores the pity, and melbourne will
come to realise this in the near future. i like the way the raiders are going about things, they have a young roster who will develop into a very smart outfit if they choose to stay together. this is what we need to
concentrate on

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
We are re-bulding but our roster has talent

Granted our forwards struggle abit against the top teams, but if we give it 110 each week

I think we should finish in the top 6, and be outside contenders

We just need a better halfback and replace a few weak forwards with a few promising ones with size, speed, footwork and offloads IMO

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I completely disagree with that

I can take losing to a handful of top teams, but even then I expect us to be competitive.

Our roster doesnt warrant letting the boys get away with weak performances. If we are capable of beating 80% of the teams, then we are capable of winning 80% of our games. Obviously if you do that your in the top 4, so yeah I disagree with that

:o

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.