Opinion What could have been?

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jamal Fogarty, good talker, reasonable skill, similar leadership qualities but physically better and more durable than Adam Reynolds who was understandably risky to avoid because he had heavy training and injuries concerns.
The minute Jamal Fogarty was available I would have snapped at the chance to sign him. He has had a big injury recently but it was unforeseeable and going strong again.

If he remains hungry (no serious finals achievements) by a years time or contract end and Bulldogs are still trying to settle halfback, I'd still go for Fogarty, he still performs fitness tests well from my understanding which is a bonus.

I'm happy to stay patient with the halves we have but I would've wanted Fogarty as the halfback to steer us if we got him couple years back.

Jamal Fogarty would've been great for and with Burton, level headed, solid, crafty, runs plays, it was probably the timing and speed it happened that GC let him go. Like you said, negotiation could have managed something. At least loan out players to the English and French SL. Loan each out a year (usually would cover a portion of wages and therefore deduct from salary cap). It doesn't have to be a permanent transfer, the loan agreement could have an 'option to buy' if player meets some criteria. These deals happen all the time in Europe.
BBO would've gained a lot from someone like Reynolds or Fogarty

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We would be top 8 if the club paid just an extra bit for some of those
Players but the “not paying overs” has kept us near last for a decade
Thats such bullshit. We have paid overs for loads of players over the last 10 years. We have paid them to leave too. We just neglected our strongest asset, our junior base, and completely imbalanced our roster.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What would have happened if we had kept some of the players who are still playing, I understand the financial implications.
Meaney, R.Smith, Cogger, Vaughn, JMK, Klemmer, Elliott, Montoya, DWZ, Finucane, and more.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thats such bullshit. We have paid overs for loads of players over the last 10 years. We have paid them to leave too. We just neglected our strongest asset, our junior base, and completely imbalanced our roster.
we paid overs for centres and wingers, loser front rowers and unproven five eights. Every single one was a pathetic decision. Not a single overpayment for anyone worth it

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We struggled badly with TPJ and Thompson, so they're no loss at all.

I'm glad we missed out on Luai. He's barely worth half of what he'll get at the Tigers..

Johnson would have been great.. Piakura is a talent but we have Kikau and Preston so he wouldn't be able to start with us anyway..

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wait until the positive crew get a hold of you for keeping the club accountable. Enjoy your abuse and spam from the fuckwits that inhabit this joint
Mate, go to the agm and tell them what you think. That would be holding the club accountable. Screaming your tits off on the internet and having a whinge is not.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nico Hynes was a far better option than Matt Burton but Trent Barrett wanted to target his Penrith love child. That was a game changer within itself… Barrett also targeted TPJ, didn’t turn out so good…

Juniors is where the passion for a club rests, we should have this in spades over the next few years thanks to Gus

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nico Hynes was a far better option than Matt Burton but Trent Barrett wanted to target his Penrith love child. That was a game changer within itself… Barrett also targeted TPJ, didn’t turn out so good…

Juniors is where the passion for a club rests, we should have this in spades over the next few years thanks to Gus
Yes, I agree with you on Hymes but you can add so many more to that list, Moses, Tedesco, Adam Reynolds, Brooks, Luai, Corasal, Fogerty, Melony, the list goes on

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you on Hymes but you can add so many more to that list, Moses, Tedesco, Adam Reynolds, Brooks, Luai, Corasal, Fogerty, Melony, the list goes on
Moses and Teddy were Haslers fault because he wanted to do a deal with Kieran Foran (& by deal I mean help out a struggling mate financially by coordinating one of the richest deals at the time for a half and probably getting a cut of it)…. Adam Reynolds I blame no one, he was said to be busted at the time…. Brooks I’m not sure of, Luai wanted too much… We needed to throw the bank at Haas and Tino, we didn’t do that.. Gus doesn’t pay overs, but he’s going to have to soon because this team needs big mobile forwards and leaders