Wenger named world's best manager of the past decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Wenger named world's best manager of the past decade

Forget the heroics of José Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson, or the genius of Carlo Ancelotti, Arsène Wenger has been the world’s best manager over the past decade – and it’s official.

The Arsenal boss topped a table complied by the ‘International Football Federation of History & Statistics’ (IFFHS) – an organisation recognised by FIFA.

The 61-year-old, whose team have not won any silverware in six years, earned 156 points while Ferguson was second (148) and Real Madrid’s Mourinho followed in third (135).

The result was calculated by combining the results of the previous 10 years of the organisation’s manager-of-the-year, which in 2010 was won by Spain’s World Cup-winning coach Vicente Del Bosque.

According to the IFFHS it was Wenger’s consistency in the 10-year period that earned him the award.

Their website stated of the man who moved to Arsenal from Japanese club Nagoya Grampus Eight in 1996: 'Although the Frenchman has until now never won the annual vote, he has been among the best-placed coaches every year.

'It is admirable how he has repeatedly moulded young players into an attacking and technically brilliant way of play.'

Arsenal have not won a trophy under Wenger since the 2005 FA Cup, but the early part of the decade brought much success for the Frenchman they call the Professor.

The North London side won the double in 2002, the FA Cup in 2003 and went the whole Premier League season unbeaten as they won the title in 2004 with a team who became known as 'the invincibles’.

In fact, managers who have plied their trade in England have featured highly in the IFFHS list, with seven of the top 10 having bossed a Premier League side.

Only Marcelo Bielsa and Marcello Lippi have not taken charge of an English side.

In addition, and in spite of an atrocious World Cup with England, Fabio Capello sits a healthy fourth (120 points) with three Italian managers featuring in the top 10.

In contrast only three English bosses made the 176-strong list, with under-fire Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson the highest ranked at 92 (12), while Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and the late Sir Bobby Robson complete the English contingent in a joint 127th (7).

Even a mediocre five-year spell as England manager has not damaged Sven-Göran Eriksson’s reputation, as he is placed a lofty 13th (79).

The Leicester City boss has rarely lived up to his success at Lazio in the previous decade and, after leaving England, has had unsuccessful spells in charge of Manchester City, Mexico and the Ivory Coast.

Argentina are the most successful nation on the list with 18 managers, Marcelo Bielsa the highest in seventh (101).

The IIFHS was founded in 1984 and serves to compile statistics and records on football globally, producing rankings for individual players and club teams.

Wenger will be honoured with an award at the World Football Gala at a later date.

IFFHS – Top 10 managers 2001-2010
1. Arsene Wenger France 156

2. Sir Alex Ferguson Scotland 148

3. Jose Mourinho Portugal 135

4. Fabio Capello Italy 120

5. Guus Hiddink Holland 112

6. Carlo Ancelotti Italy 108

7. Luiz Scolari Brazil 101

Marcelo Bielsa Argentina 101

9. Rafael Benitez Spain 97

10. Marcello Lippi Italy 88

how amusing

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is 2-3 months old.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
maybe so, but hasn't been posted here

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Question, why is it so amusing to you?

inb4notrophiesfor5years

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
well what has wenger done in the last 5 yrs? nothing yes he's brought in youth but so has SAF while still winning tropheys and he's only been outside top 2 once in those 10 yrs. they talk about consistancy, and SAF hasn't been?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
consistency?

hasnt alex ferguson finished higher in at least 7 (possibly 8) of the 10 league years?

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
well what has wenger done in the last 5 yrs? nothing yes he's brought in youth but so has SAF while still winning tropheys and he's only been outside top 2 once in those 10 yrs. they talk about consistancy, and SAF hasn't been?
LOL bias red manc didn't even read what was in white. Predictable response.

The competition clearly outlines what the judging is based on, so where is the amusement in that? Trophies are not the ultimate yardstick for management, I'm sure being the balance individual I hope you are, you should know that.

SAF has had far superior funds and less financial difficulty to endure than Wenger, add to the fact Wenger has built an unbeatable team in that time, which is an extremely rare feat as well as moving a club with a massive history into a new stadium whilst maintaining a high level of performance from his team in those 10 years.

Look at managerial performances from Roy Hodgson and David Moyes in recent times to see trophies are not the yardstick for being a good manager.

He also developed a very strong style of football played most notably by the invincibles side and Chelsea and United sides since with strong, pacy, technical players through the middle and pace and finesse in other position.

If you actually put things into perspective and look at the criteria for the award instead of just thinking like every other Manc, then you'd see why it is pretty logical that Wenger wins the award under the awards criteria.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
LOL bias red manc didn't even read what was in white. Predictable response.

The competition clearly outlines what the judging is based on, so where is the amusement in that? Trophies are not the ultimate yardstick for management, I'm sure being the balance individual I hope you are, you should know that.

SAF has had far superior funds and less financial difficulty to endure than Wenger, add to the fact Wenger has built an unbeatable team in that time, which is an extremely rare feat as well as moving a club with a massive history into a new stadium whilst maintaining a high level of performance from his team in those 10 years.

Look at managerial performances from Roy Hodgson and David Moyes in recent times to see trophies are not the yardstick for being a good manager.

He also developed a very strong style of football played most notably by the invincibles side and Chelsea and United sides since with strong, pacy, technical players through the middle and pace and finesse in other position.

If you actually put things into perspective and look at the criteria for the award instead of just thinking like every other Manc, then you'd see why it is pretty logical that Wenger wins the award under the awards criteria.
even if it's based on manager of the yr awards he shouldn't be top. SAF may have the funds, but has he used them? not very much. he invests in young players, bt at the same time keeps the experienced players.

even when we were in rebuilding stages we finished no lower then 3rd once, so i did not just use tropheys as you say, and an even bigger laugh even using hodgeson and moyes as examples on 'tropheys don't indicate how good a manager is'

1 great season doesn't equal to best manager in the decade.

end of the day football IS about tropheys and they do indicate whether or not you are the best manager of anytime.

and btw i wasn't having a go at wenger because he is a great manager but he is not better then SAF over the last 10 yrs

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
even if it's based on manager of the yr awards he shouldn't be top.
LOL and why is that?

SAF may have the funds, but has he used them? not very much. he invests in young players, bt at the same time keeps the experienced players.
Um yes, he has used them.

even when we were in rebuilding stages we finished no lower then 3rd once, so i did not just use tropheys as you say, and an even bigger laugh even using hodgeson and moyes as examples on 'tropheys don't indicate how good a manager is'
And Arsenal haven't finished outside the top four. And actually if you read what I said, I said trophies aren't necessarily the yardstick for being a good manager, because Roy Hodgson and Moyes were superb at times in the past yet they didn't win trophies. Getting Fulham to a Europa League final is far more commendable than winning the league with a superstar squad which both Mourinho and Ferguson have done in the past 10 years.

Good management is not always able to be judged by comparing trophies, in fact, you are a retard if you believe that.

This award is based around combining performances over the past 10 seasons, so in fact Roy and Moyes performances would be pretty recognizable in this sort of award, which in turn backs up what I've said about Wenger.

1 great season doesn't equal to best manager in the decade.
Except Wenger had more than one great season. So that's a nothing point there.

end of the day football IS about tropheys and they do indicate whether or not you are the best manager of anytime.
Yes, all sport is about winning, but good management is not always defined by trophies. The criteria of the award is there to see, if you'd like to debate Wenger's position in each years awarding of MOTY, then be my guest.

and btw i wasn't having a go at wenger because he is a great manager but he is not better then SAF over the last 10 yrs
They are both great managers. My problem is that you found it amusing when the criteria is clearly outlines in the article and the ignoring of important factors.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
so what is the judging based on?
Probably money/results ratio
'The result was calculated by combining the results of the previous 10 years of the organisation’s manager-of-the-year'.

If it were money/results, Wenger would have far more points, considering his net spend during his time at Arsenal.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if it were money/results then jose maurinho should take it out simply for winning the champions league and uefa cup with porto who had a low budget

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
LOL and why is that?

Um yes, he has used them.

And Arsenal haven't finished outside the top four. And actually if you read what I said, I said trophies aren't necessarily the yardstick for being a good manager, because Roy Hodgson and Moyes were superb at times in the past yet they didn't win trophies. Getting Fulham to a Europa League final is far more commendable than winning the league with a superstar squad which both Mourinho and Ferguson have done in the past 10 years.

Good management is not always able to be judged by comparing trophies, in fact, you are a retard if you believe that.

This award is based around combining performances over the past 10 seasons, so in fact Roy and Moyes performances would be pretty recognizable in this sort of award, which in turn backs up what I've said about Wenger.

Except Wenger had more than one great season. So that's a nothing point there.

Yes, all sport is about winning, but good management is not always defined by trophies. The criteria of the award is there to see, if you'd like to debate Wenger's position in each years awarding of MOTY, then be my guest.

They are both great managers. My problem is that you found it amusing when the criteria is clearly outlines in the article and the ignoring of important factors.
I'm sorry bit sickand lightheaded ATM so haunt explained myself properly. I personally think if you are judging the best manager of the last decade it can't be done by just averaging off past Moty awards and when you're talking about the best(not good) you have to take into account the success he has had because when they retire that's what he will be remembered for.

I never said we dont use the money but I wouldn't say he spends big. Most of the players we have bought over the decade were hardly world class when they joined and SAF has nurtured them into the players they are today but at the same time winning trophies , he gets value for his money

And IMO t

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anderson 14m, Ferdinand 30m, Rooney 25m, Berbatov 30m, Carrick 14-18m, Hargreaves 17m, Valencia 16m, Nani 22m.

Doesn't spend big? Come on mate, Ferguson has the funds and he sure uses them.

I think this is an argument that really can't be resolved properly and I am not disrespecting Ferguson, as it's obvious he is a great manager.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Once again I said not often do we spend big(or that's what I meant),besides 16m I wouldn't consider big,hardly madrid/Chelsea/citeh-esk spending

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those two small clubs have blown the market out of proportion unfortunately. :(

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
yeah it's gotten to the point of
"well if <insert player name> is getting so much then we should get so much for <insert player name>"

back on topic i suppose you need a neutrals perspective on these kind of discussions as it's like talking to brick walls on both sides :P

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
im very nuetral and i say ferguson is 2nd to jose maurinho this decade, wenger 3rd

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yeah it's gotten to the point of
"well if <insert player name> is getting so much then we should get so much for <insert player name>"

back on topic i suppose you need a neutrals perspective on these kind of discussions as it's like talking to brick walls on both sides :P
I agree on both things lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.