Warriors and the football gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Don't worry - Bill Harrigan will be on NRL.com telling everyone that the referees were 100% right. Funny how even when video replays show that a call was completely wrong he can still say they were right. Um just a question - I hear every week that video refs can't rule on a forward pass.... why?
NRL referees boss Bill Harrigan says Warriors coach Ivan Cleary's protests over the officiating in his side's opening two finals matches will not ensure a new batch of whistleblowers for Saturday night's preliminary final against Melbourne.

Cleary took aim at referees Shayne Hayne and Jared Maxwell after his side was handed a 4-0 penalty count in the first half of Friday night's 22-20 semi-final win over Wests Tigers.

It came after the same two whistleblowers gave Brisbane three unanswered penalties in the Broncos' qualifying final win over the Warriors, prompting Cleary to say on Friday night: "The last two weeks we have had a combined 7-0 penalty count against us in the second half.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"The same two referees too.

"There were definitely some calls there that I think they will be disappointed with when they look back at it."

While he would reserve judgment until Monday's debrief, Harrigan said he was satisfied with the performance of the referees, particularly their rulings on the major plays.

"The controversial things like the changing of the line drop out to the 20 metre tap I'm very comfortable with because we've got precedents that we've been doing for years, and the try I'm very, very comfortable with," Harrigan told AAP, refereeing to Krisnan Inu's match-winning effort which Tigers players and officials believe may have come as a result of a double movement.

Asked whether Cleary's comments would affect which referees did what preliminary finals, Cleary said: "No, I'll sit down with my panel of coaches, the five evaluators, and we all with an evaluation of their performances we sit down and discuss it and work out where they go and who they team up with.

"We don't give any credence to the teams or the coaches or what they've said - we just decide that's the game that he needs to be in and that's where we send them."

Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys refused to be critical of the referees, but admitted he would rather not see big games decided by the blow of a whistle.

"I think everyone in the game understands that the sides are all so evenly matched that nobody, particularly the referees, want their decisions to have such a significant impact on the game," Humphreys told AAP.

"There were at least a couple of Warriors tries that came directly on the back of penalties so, whether we like it or not, it is a feature of the game.

"We all celebrate the closeness of the competition, which is one of our great strengths, but it then just does mean that the refereeing decisions often will have a massive impact on the final results.

"So it's just the way it is.

"I think we have to recognise that and do whatever we can to help support the referees to get as much of it right as we can."

Pink Pikachu

~Kayley~
Reaction score
Watched the replay today n I think i picked up on something that nobody else has yet.

I dont care either way btw, but if u watch & listen closely to the last warriors try, the ref blew his whistle to send it upstairs BEFORE Inu made his 2nd lunge at the line.

He blew the whistle straight after Inu tried to ground it tha first time, then Inu grounded it over the line after the whistle to check with the video ref..

Surely, once the whistle has been blown, the play is over, regardless of whether or not the players had time to react to it.

Legally, wasn't a try.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watched the replay today n I think i picked up on something that nobody else has yet.

I dont care either way btw, but if u watch & listen closely to the last warriors try, the ref blew his whistle to send it upstairs BEFORE Inu made his 2nd lunge at the line.

He blew the whistle straight after Inu tried to ground it tha first time, then Inu grounded it over the line after the whistle to check with the video ref..

Surely, once the whistle has been blown, the play is over, regardless of whether or not the players had time to react to it.

Legally, wasn't a try.
Lmfao, all of Sydney picked on that it was on MMM radio this morning on dead set legends...

They spoke to Hollywood and he confirmed that the whistle was after the second attempt...

Lmao @ nobody picked it

Pink Pikachu

~Kayley~
Reaction score
Lmfao, all of Sydney picked on that it was on MMM radio this morning on dead set legends...

They spoke to Hollywood and he confirmed that the whistle was after the second attempt...

Lmao @ nobody picked it
Sorry if I dont have the time to sit and listen to every radio station and every tv program every second of every day, I will rephrase it to nobody that I HAVE NOTICED have mentioned it, and I dont care what harrigan says, i can see and hear with my own eyes & ears that it was before the second grounding.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NZers are exactly the same, if not worse, when it comes to rugby. Arrogant and think that the rest of the rugby world should bend over for the AB's and when they don't they turn on the All Blacks.

All of a sudden we have the WC here and people are 'so proud to be NZers'. Like you say with England, these people come out of the woodwork with their All Blacks memorabilia and their flags on their cars. The amount of times I hear people say ridiculous crap like 'they should just give us the WC now' or such other rubbish is very high.

I love the All Blacks but some NZers certainly don't deserve them.

I guess I'm a little bias toward England at times as well because I am half English and one thing that ****s me off about NZers and the NZ media is that they give English sports teams 0 respect despite England being more successful at RWC's and light years ahead in both cricket and football.
come on bro, all whites 'undefeated' lol

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's a war dance, it's a challenge. You can take the stance you do, but you are wrong if you think people should not respond to the Haka because it's disrespecting culture. If someone's culture is to say '**** you let's have a fight', is it disrespectful to respond or accept the challenge? No it's not, but because it's in dance form people put some cultural taboo rubbish on it and try to put it on a pedestal.

I don't like anthem booing, but the Haka is a war dance, plain and simple.

Haka is not just a war dance actually.
Haka are performed for various reasons: for amusement, as a hearty welcome to distinguished guests, or to acknowledge great achievements or occasions. So on Friday night I think the Haka was performed for the latter reasons therefore respecting someone's culture wouldn't have gone astray. Don't get me wrong challenge the haka pre kick off from the opposing team but it's different when spectators do it,it's more of a respect to the occasion haka rather than an out right challenge..

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sirpartyman, you've got yourself in mess here. You quoted my post talking about a different event (England fans singing over the Haka at Twickenham), then you've talked about Friday night.

Ka Mate is the haka the All Blacks do and is the one they did on Friday night, that is a challenge, it was written about putting life over death, which can translate to challenging for success in a psorting arena (win = life, loss =death). I am well aware of the variance in Hakas as I know a few myself and have mentioned that in this very same thread, but Ka Mate to me is a challenge.

I said to Pom_81 that if intention is purely to disrespect, then fine, obviously it's disrespectful, but if that's not the intention then there's nothing wrong with challenging the haka. I don't think people should have to simply be quiet because someone is performing the haka.

NZers are too politically correct and certain Maoris find basically anything a white person does offensive, maybe instead of complaining about cultural disrespect, we could look at how the All Blacks have basically turned a cultural thing of our country's people into a marketing tool and hence why people would be more inclined to disrespect it.

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fair enough. All I'm getting at is the Haka before the Warriors game,it wasn't intended as a formal challenge but one of respect to the team & the occasion therefore booing in this instance as Pom81 said was prolly uncalled for.

As for when the All Blacks or the Kiwis do the Haka by all means challenge it. As kiwis I think we respect you more if you step up to the plate(with exception to the Maori fanatics)

Status
Not open for further replies.