• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Everything causes division. Interracial marriage, same-sex marriage, religious freedoms. Every vote throughout history has caused division. The question shouldn't be about whether it causes division or not. It should be about whether it's a good thing or not.
Hard part about that Hacky is that it is causing disagreement and division even amongst the people it is supposed to be helping. Have spoken to quite a few indigenous Australians about this and they themselves can’t even agree if it is a good thing or not. As a result I am finding it hard to vote yes

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Someone told me that if you have over 1000m2 block of land, part of this vote means that you have to pay an extra tax back to Aboriginals?

IF, this is true, and it could be Chinese whispers, but if it is true, it would appear on face value, that a portion of this is financially driven.
Sounds like bullshit but wouldn't put it past the criminal politicians

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone told me that if you have over 1000m2 block of land, part of this vote means that you have to pay an extra tax back to Aboriginals?

IF, this is true, and it could be Chinese whispers, but if it is true, it would appear on face value, that a portion of this is financially driven.
None of that is true. If it was then I would vote No. But it's not true.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard part about that Hacky is that it is causing disagreement and division even amongst the people it is supposed to be helping. Have spoken to quite a few indigenous Australians about this and they themselves can’t even agree if it is a good thing or not. As a result I am finding it hard to vote yes
True. But that also happens with nearly everything, especially when there's so much propaganda surrounding it. Just think of any policy pushed by Liberals or Labor. You'll find huge amounts of Liberal voters that disagree with many Liberal policies, and the same goes for Labor.

There's always division on every issue. And there's extra division when you have the likes of Sky News and 2GB straight up lying to people about it because it's a Labor policy.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
True. But that also happens with nearly everything, especially when there's so much propaganda surrounding it. Just think of any policy pushed by Liberals or Labor. You'll find huge amounts of Liberal voters that disagree with many Liberal policies, and the same goes for Labor.

There's always division on every issue. And there's extra division when you have the likes of Sky News and 2GB straight up lying to people about it because it's a Labor policy.
And vice versa

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Btw, as a side note. The Voice doesn't give them something others don't have. It's an advisory body. We already have tonnes of advisory bodies, most for non-indigenous. This is just one that represents indigenous.
How many of those other “advisory bodies” are enshrined in the Constitution?
How many of those other “advisory bodies” are solely based on identified race?

Yes, I know there is a Catholic lobby group, and a Church of England and a Jewish lobby. But they are religion based, not racial. Plus there is a big difference between a lobby group and an advisory body enshrined in the constitution.

If I look at the current list of 107 Government Advisory Bodies the only ones that are race based are the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander bodies.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

It took 2 years but even the looney left WA Government realised the impracticality of requiring Aboriginal approval for any land works on property over 1000sqm.

Always a Bulldog

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Yes, I know there is a Catholic lobby group, and a Church of England and a Jewish lobby. But they are religion based, not racial. Plus there is a big difference between a lobby group and an advisory body enshrined in the constitution.

If I look at the current list of 107 Government Advisory Bodies the only ones that are race based are the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander bodies.

Always a Bulldog
How many races in Australia currently have a problem of being grossly mishandled by the Australian government?

How often do you hear the government say, "we have a problem with violent Lebanese in Western Sydney, so Lebanese aren't allowed alcohol any more"?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How many races in Australia currently have a problem of being grossly mishandled by the Australian government?

How often do you hear the government say, "we have a problem with violent Lebanese in Western Sydney, so Lebanese aren't allowed alcohol any more"?
Do they have indigenous crime units in western Sydney?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do they have indigenous crime units in western Sydney?
Not that I'm aware of. Probably 'cause they don't have much indigenous crime in Western Sydney.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So, notwithstanding the merit of it, you admit it is race based then. Ie - racist!

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Thanks for the great post! But for the yes voters - why let these facts get in the way of the debate!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Do you know where the advice to the Government on that came from? The already existing “voices”, The Joint Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs and the National Indigenous Australians Agency and a great many local indigenous leaders.

Always a Bulldog

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So governments target problems where they exist?
They're meant to. That's the whole point of government. To fix the problems. At least, that's what they're meant to do.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So, notwithstanding the merit of it, you admit it is race based then. Ie - racist!
Nope. The issues with race being a social construct aside, it's based on issues that exist between government and Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander communities.

Ignoring an issue because you may be labelled "racist" is a Conservative meme used to attack things they don't like, because Conservatives usually can't tell what is and isn't racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.