News Vaughan eyeing new contact

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Even his mate Actros suggested a reduced rate next time around, I don't want him to leave if possible.Making him skipper is a good sign.
to make him skipper means he has the respect of the players, he is suited to the faster game. if he is willing to stay for less then re sign definitely

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't want a massive upgrade though...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks like he his our forward leader. Looks like a good personality to have in the group too. we have missed players like him and JAC to bring spirit in the sheds
He definitely has a good personality and looks like a real club man.
I noticed he ran straight over to the Kennel on full time to engage in our supporters against the fence just chatting and taking photos.
The rest of the boys were still talking shit with the enemy for some time.
Credit to him.
Paul has been putting in every single game so far this year.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
He definitely has a good personality and looks like a real club man.
I noticed he ran straight over to the Kennel on full time to engage in our supporters against the fence just chatting and taking photos.
The rest of the boys were still talking shit with the enemy for some time.
Credit to him.
Paul has been putting in every single game so far this year.
100% his a sickcunt

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definitely hope we keep him for 2 to 3 years.
Big Man, does the damage, works his arse off.
Good on him, probably travels a long way to play for us too.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He just does his job without out being flash. Doesn't give away dumb penalties either like Napa and Elliott.
Doesn’t get 3 Dally M points like Elliott, either.

Nothing against Vaughan, I think he’s been excellent…. But don’t be dissin’ ma boy!

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's just the money he's on. If he was on 400-500k there wouldn't be an issue. That's where most of the "hate" stems from.
I think we keep both, take $$ from Thompson and give them to Vaughan (assuming him and Dufty are on not much this year to earn their credibility back)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My worry in regards to extending Vaughan is we have Mahoney (reportedly 600k), Kikau (reportedly 800k) and Sutton coming next year.

We have to spend 95% of our salary cap so we're sitting on a maximum of 470k in the salary cap free this year which we can use for next year.

We don't have a lot of big names/money coming off contract. Doorey, Dufty, RFM, Hoffman, Katoa, Stimson, Topine, Vaughan and Wakeham. Dufty, RFM, Stimson and Vaughan would be on a decent amount with the others basically on minimum wage (freeing up nothing if they're released).

I would guess looking at that it's going to be tough to extend Vaughan unless we're able to move contracted players on who aren't not in the top 17 (or in it) on decent money and/or we've frontloaded contracts this year.

I also think it's weird (definitely not normal) Mahoney, Kikau and Sutton haven't had official/public announcements (Mahoney and Kikau have been announced in a members email). I'm not sure if that's linked with anything (in regards to salary cap and player retention).

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s assuming we haven’t ‘brought forward’ any existing $$ this year vs just paying overs for some of the squad?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My worry in regards to extending Vaughan is we have Mahoney (reportedly 600k), Kikau (reportedly 800k) and Sutton coming next year.

We have to spend 95% of our salary cap so we're sitting on a maximum of 470k in the salary cap free this year which we can use for next year.

We don't have a lot of big names/money coming off contract. Doorey, Dufty, RFM, Hoffman, Katoa, Stimson, Topine, Vaughan and Wakeham. Dufty, RFM, Stimson and Vaughan would be on a decent amount with the others basically on minimum wage (freeing up nothing if they're released).

I would guess looking at that it's going to be tough to extend Vaughan unless we're able to move contracted players on who aren't not in the top 17 (or in it) on decent money and/or we've frontloaded contracts this year.

I also think it's weird (definitely not normal) Mahoney, Kikau and Sutton haven't had official/public announcements (Mahoney and Kikau have been announced in a members email). I'm not sure if that's linked with anything (in regards to salary cap and player retention).
gus said on twitter he was being respectful to their current clubs in relation to the announcements

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Are you telling me Hethrington, Thommo, TPJ, RFM, Vaughn and Ava are not making metres?
Kikau gives us another attacking threat in the final 3rd. Where metres don't matter anymore. He's also the best decoy in the game meaning players around him will have more opportunity.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be interesting to know how much himself and dufty are after given he is near end of career and no one wanted dufty

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Vaughny is a keeper and so is Thompson in our forwards rotation. Where they fit in and for how much is Gus’s problem.
Yep I agree, hopefully the noise about Thommo has passed..Vaughan as you say is a keeper and Gus can work out the $$$.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Even his mate Actros suggested a reduced rate next time around, I don't want him to leave if possible.Making him skipper is a good sign.
Agree. We fucked over Graham and I don't want us to do the dirty on Thompson. Love a strong English forward and wouldnt like to deter future players from coming to us.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Over 30. Giving you a lifeline. You get one year performance based with incentives to keep you on your toes.