Opinion Utility Power

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Mann, Tracey and Currin have really glued in a cohesive Bulldogs team.

So far, it looks like this was a very clever strategy to get talented, hard working, competitive players who are edged out of other squads with too much depth to cost effectively solve our short term problems as we continue to develop our juniors and shed the non performers that had not bought into the coaching direction and standards.

Utility is a circumstantial label for good players that could not be given a permanent position because of the stability of the team at the time. The grey area there is huge, because sometimes it's just a very minor difference between the player chosen and the player that misses out.

I think we have hit a new formulae in recruitment thanks to the vision and network of Gus.

People are bagging Salmon, but he is not really doing much wrong - he plays direct and safe. We need that contribution in the team dynamics too.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think squad depth, competition for spots, and experience is what's made the biggest difference.

I also don't buy into this utility position BS. These guys didn't make it to the NRL based on their utility value.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Salmon has been good so far. He starts the game well with smart runs and a good passing game. He also keeps the defence tight.

Curran is better as us Mann. But both offer a little more size and power off the bench which we clearly lack.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Knight starting. I still think we are short one or two big props. But we are playing the best game with the players we have.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Knight starting. I still think we are short one or two big props. But we are playing the best game with the players we have.
Is that Knight with the died hair? whoever has the blonde die job looked gassed half way through the first half

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Salmon has a lot of skill, but is being under utilised at the moment as the team gels. He is probably following coaching instructions and being held back as the second trial game he was not good. He looked sharp in the first trial.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an interesting way of changing the middle of the field during the game. Mann, Salmon, Curran all play very different games with very different purposes.

Mann plays like another halfback, working left and right hand sides as a link man, and hardening up defence in middle of the park.
Salmon plays more direct, slightly left or right of centre, offering attacking options.
Curran plays straight to the line with a late offload.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I think it all timed well - quality utility players with Critta and Kiks clicking and setting a new standard as leaders, and the entire team buying into the training intensity, the defensive structures and attacking systems. It all appears to have come together to work for a change - after so many years!

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I totally agree. I think recruiting several utility players who were desperate to cement top team selection has been great in a number of ways. It plugs holes with injuries, gives more positions on the field different options and combinations, more ball playing opportunities and supports the inexperienced players to develop.

In the end I think the new recruits are being able to consolidate positions like with Samon being a regular starting lock rather than a utility off the bench that filled in anywhere for the Panthers.

I think Taaffe was unlucky to have Mitchell and Walker in front of him at Souths. By the looks of his NSW Cup form he did well captaining Souths to a GF win. So he may have had his development to the top grade delayed. But I am sure with time and confidence he could turn out a good player.

I like Mann's work ethic, no matter where he plays he is all effort. Theres still a ? over half with Hutch. But he is always pretty solid as a team player. Maybe under CC he can learn some new tricks. But if he keeps playing like against the Titans then he will have the position. Hopefully that will allow Burton some opportunities.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing i will give Knight is that he is batting overs when it comes to his partner. The bloke doesn't look NRL fit

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tracey and Curran aren’t exactly utilities lol. Only Mann has worked out of the ones signed