Opinion Update on Signings

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He resigned with Penrith for 4 year extension
Another one bites the dust…. But hey, so long as they can pick up good middles I’ll be happy. Our pack (mainly) and Burtons inconsistent form are currently our biggest issues.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
The Kennel has to realise their is just nothing out there so when we sign some mids or fringes like Zane Musgrove, Jayden Hunt etc can't go into melt down. We have no choice to sign players like that maybe even on overs. At least Gus seems to be keen on these one to two year deals.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Kennel has to realise their is just nothing out there so when we sign some mids or fringes like Zane Musgrove, Jayden Hunt etc can't go into melt down. We have no choice to sign players like that maybe even on overs. At least Gus seems to be keen on these one to two year deals.
I think his plan is to go for those mid- level signings over 2yrs, front load those guys into 2024 and frees up a war chest for 2 or 3 marquees in 2025 - has to be his plan. We’ll probably also see a play for 2 or 3 promising juniors hoping one blooms by 2025

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
That's the thing. Gus can just offer normal market rates to guys like that, and save some cash. What those players get in return is an opportunity on a shorter contract to maybe nail down a starting role. Even if it's bigger money at another club down the track.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how much cap space do we have for next year?

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Anyone know if J McLean from Cows is under contract,
Big body , averages over 100 m per game and tackless at 97% .....
Would come at half the $$$ of TPJ.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone know if J McLean from Cows is under contract,
Big body , averages over 100 m per game and tackless at 97% .....
Would come at half the $$$ of TPJ.
He'd want a long term deal and pretty decent $ to come here. Cows will want to extend him but won't give him 3+ years.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
He'd want a long term deal and pretty decent $ to come here. Cows will want to extend him but won't give him 3+ years.
Throw decent coin for two years (he is 30) still more impact and upside than Tevita..
Have a shot , not much else out there.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Throw decent coin for two years (he is 30) still more impact and upside than Tevita..
Have a shot , not much else out there.
He'll be turning 33 at the end of next year, 32 end of this year. The money would have to be good because Cow would be looking to extend him for 2 years.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
He'll be turning 33 at the end of next year, 32 end of this year. The money would have to be good because Cow would be looking to extend him for 2 years.
So he is , my bad.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think his plan is to go for those mid- level signings over 2yrs, front load those guys into 2024 and frees up a war chest for 2 or 3 marquees in 2025 - has to be his plan. We’ll probably also see a play for 2 or 3 promising juniors hoping one blooms by 2025
Correct. I’d also look at the three old boys in Woods, Tapou and that guy from the Cowboys that aren’t signed for next year. If they want to around again we could do worse. One year cheap contracts. Even if you only get 20-30 mins out of them.
The fact is our middle has been decimated and the pickings are slim.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at the bench impact the 2 Sharks props have brought to the game tonight…. That Big Bald beast scored a try and hasn’t stop getting involved… whilst Royce Hunt has been a beast so far and also scored a try

why can’t our f’ucking bench have some sort of positive impact… just once?

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royce Hunt and Flegler would of been a good combo but Flegler signed for dolphins for next year and Hunt resigned.
Guessing we had other plans and didn’t even approach them.

I’d love to know what intentions dogs had? Was Haas even an option, he had a deal already and can’t approach him. All media speculation.

They went after Taaffe and Salmon quickly. Just can’t seem to understand the recruitment strategy. We needed middles before TPJ retired

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Royce Hunt and Flegler would of been a good combo but Flegler signed for dolphins for next year and Hunt resigned.

I’d love to know what intentions dogs had? Was Haas even an option, he had a deal already and can’t approach him. All media speculation.

They went after Taaffe and Salmon quickly. Just can’t seem to understand the recruitment strategy. We needed middles before TPJ retired
Everything seems to have been geared towards signing Haas, we 100 percent went after him hard. Who knows how much we offered him? At least made broncos offer 1.3 mil.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lenu contract has not been signed off by NRL as yet... Go Get him GUS
Yes I wondered why on one of the NRL available player lists for 2023 it still lists him. I thought it must have been a mistake.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We should have got in the ear of NAS' manager. Surely we could have beaten the Storm offer by a fair amount