Tpj to retire from nrl

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs star Tevita Pangai Jr to quit NRL to pursue boxing career
Bulldogs star and State of Origin representative Tevita Pangai Junior has shocked the game by announcing he will walk away from the NRL at just 27.

Canterbury prop Tevita Pangai Jr is to retire from the NRL to take up boxing at the end of the season.
The 27-year-old who made his State of Origin debut for NSW this year, has a season remaining on his contract at the Bulldogs.

It frees up $750,000 in the Bulldogs’ salary cap to launch a full scale assault for Brisbane’s Payne Haas.

This masthead can reveal the Bulldogs round 27 clash against the Titans on the Gold Coast will be his last game before he shifts to boxing fulltime.

Pangai Jr has a close affiliation with former Bulldog-turned-boxer Sonny Bill Williams, and featured on the undercard of his clash with Mark Hunt in November last year.

Pangai jr knocked out Jeremiah Tupai-ui in the second round of what was just his second career fight and it came after he opted to miss the Rugby League World Cup with Tonga in the UK to remain in Australia to work on his fitness.

The Bulldogs were Pangai Jr’s third NRL club in his eight year career. He debuted for Brisbane in 2016 but was released midway through the 2021 season, before playing six games for Penrith and then moving to Belmore.
Did Buzz write this? Everyone else saying 850k freed up and this article says $750k. If it were the Roosters I'm sure he would have said $1.15 million freed up.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We only got the chance to sign him because he was a player that's always had incredible potential, but he rarely managed to live up to it. So while plenty here we're excited to get his signature, I only mustered cautious optimism.

The thing about TPJ is that he was never going to be the key player in a pack, but he's capable of icing games if those around him give a good platform. As a member of a strong pack I think we'd have been happy with him. But given that some were hoping he'd emerge as our forward leader, the expectation on him meant there were always going to be a lot of disappointed fans.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na the lazy dumb arse won't do shit.
He's fucking off. So I have this funny feeling he'll fire up for the last few games and show what he's capable of consistently if he's in the mood. A bit like the three games Lichaa played really well after Hasler was sacked that convinced the club to throw him a lifeline.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Did Buzz write this? Everyone else saying 850k freed up and this article says $750k. If it were the Roosters I'm sure he would have said $1.15 million freed up.
To be fair Buzz has asked questions of the Roosters salary cap situation more than a few times. The one good thing he’s done.

Mikey202b

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow we have like 850 k or something next year for TPJ and probs 800 K for Thompson, with no one to sign! What will we spend that money on for next year?
Someone will leave their current club on compassionate grounds as that would be what we will be working on.

When money is flashing and player managers know we have money we must spend they will find a way to get some players released from current deals. This is our only chance to get a couple or decent MIDDLE FORWARDS!

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahahahahahahahahaha... fucking great news. If this flop fights with the same heart he played footy with he better hope they are all 1 round fights. What a deadset boofhead.
He'll probably get knocked out in 1 second in his first fight and when he wakes up he'll announce his retirement from boxing and then announce he's taking up basketball!!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The buzz article will be Gus pushed him out, he won't be leaving empty handed. The NRL need to investigate, the NRL need to send in administrators as Gus has brain washed our board. TPG never looks interested in playing, he always has the empty stare. He did say he will walk away if he can't play to a standard. Well he stuck to his word. Cya
$750k saved
Thompson money may have already been factored in Gus's plans but $850k of that You would think $400k is the max he will receive. Just need Sutton to fuck off , we pay 100k and he can be tpj's punching bag

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If TPJ wants to go chasing boxing dollars good luck....you don't want him there if he can't give close to 100%

Only shit thing will be if he ends up at the Dolphins and plays well.

Like I don't follow boxing, is there much money in it here? Maybe he's got dreams of fighting in Vegas.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If TPJ wants to go chasing boxing dollars good luck....you don't want him there if he can't give close to 100%

Like I don't follow boxing, is there much money in it here? Maybe he's got dreams of fighting in Vegas.
Not worth it if you ask me, especially if you have the option of playing another sport with less risk to your brain.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If he follows Paul Gallens lead he will make a few million so I don’t think he’s losing out. Trouble is he doesn’t really say much so not sure how good he’ll be at selling fights. Gallen knew how to trash talk

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone will leave their current club on compassionate grounds as that would be what we will be working on.

When money is flashing and player managers know we have money we must spend they will find a way to get some players released from current deals. This is our only chance to get a couple or decent MIDDLE FORWARDS!
What about doing a deal with Canberra?
We give them mick Burton and they give us Corey Horsburgh?
Both serves each others needs perfectly and legit same wage.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What about doing a deal with Canberra?
We give them mick Burton and they give us Corey Horsburgh?
Both serves each others needs perfectly and legit same wage.
Great idea Nashy fkn

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I think he is just a sook, I think he got blasted after the knights game for the offload that lead to 12 points so said fuck it I am out. 100% he will play awesome for the last 3 games. Clarity does that plus he needs to remind everyone what he can do to leave the door open.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

I’ve been involved in boxing almost 2 decades now and went down this path. Trained, sparred with Aussie pros and got my own history in it.

It’s a tough gig but if you love the sport it’s like no other challenge in the world. Can’t compare it to footy etc. although can’t say I know what running out on a origin field would feel like for your heart either.

Gallen and Mundine were arguably two of the most hated men in the nrl so they had blokes want to see them knocked out. Throw that in with shit like they both had some ability. From what I’ve seen if tpj bum fights is his closest chance.

He will have connections with sbw and Mundine to get some $ against other bums who are just taking the piss out of the sport.

Mundine was the only one who actually boxed.

Sbw was getting his ass handed to him by an old washed fat Botha and they changed the Fucking rounds mid fight and gave him the Fucking win. It’s a disgrace to the sport.

He belongs in the ring as much as I belong on the footy field.

Jr Paulo actually boxes alright just has the tank for 1 round like I expect tpj probz does.