News Tom Flegler set to remain a Bronco and sign a 2 year extension worth $1.3m

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
New Brisbane coach Kevin Walters has struck his first retention blow with boom prop Tom Flegler rejecting mega offers from Sydney clubs to ink a $1.3 million extension with the Broncos.
In a boost for the Broncos ahead of their return to pre-season on Monday, Flegler has knocked back offers of up to $800,000-a-season from rival clubs to sign a two-year upgrade, keeping him at Brisbane until the end of 2023.

The deal is worth an estimated $650,000 annually, meaning Flegler sacrificed $300,000 over a two-year term, but the Tully tearaway opted to stay loyal and show faith in the Broncos’ new regime under Walters.

The 21-year-old endured a frustrating 2020 campaign, undergoing shoulder surgery in August, but that didn’t stop four NRL rivals, including the Bulldogs and Dragons, expressing interest in the 108kg bookend.

Despite his erratic form over the past 18 months, Flegler is rated one of the code’s most promising front-rowers and was named in Queensland’s Emerging Origin squad in 2019.
Likened in style to Brisbane legend Shane Webcke with his toughness and fearless running style, Flegler had the opportunity to be part of Canterbury’s new era under Trent Barrett, but the 36-game rookie is determined to fire at the Broncos.

“I could have made a lot more money elsewhere, however I trust my agent and I want to be a one-club player at the Broncos,” Flegler said.
“Brisbane signed me as a 15-year-old and I want to repay their faith and the loyal fans who have stuck by us.
“I want to just want improve as a player.
“I am looking forward to being coached by ‘Kevvie’ (Walters).”

Flegler underlined his talent when he destroyed Souths in round two, amassing 170 metres, tackle busts and three offloads in a 22-18 upset of Wayne Bennett’s Bunnies.

Walters said Flegler will be a key part of his front-row rotation as the Broncos look to hit back from their horror wooden-spoon finish this year.

It’s excellent news for us,” he said.
“Tom is a wonderful young player and he has been a part of our Queensland Emerging Origin program.

“Tom is on the way back from a shoulder operation but he has an enormous future. I am looking forward to working more closely with him.

“Tom is a very good young prop. He has probably lacked a bit of confidence, but he is physical and loves the tough stuff which is an attitude you need in the position he is playing.
“Like everyone else this year, Tom was below his best, but I have no doubt he is a future Origin player.”

Flegler insists he will be fully fit for Brisbane’s 2021 season opener.

“The shoulder is feeling amazing,” he said. “I am ahead of schedule which is great.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Absolute rubbish 800k.....lol

Broncos re-sign him on 650k while Haas is on 500k
I feel like a desperate club might offer 500k absolute max..but to say he's getting 650k from the Broncos and turned down bigger money is absolutely ridiculous lol. @maroondog72 you know anything?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haas signed his contract either before playing a NRL game or after two games were he got concussed early in both. Flegler extended half way/at the end of his first season (showed promise) if I remember correctly and for a struggling club 600k for Flegler is fair imo (potential/overs). It's similar to signing someone like Leniu (who I think is better). I won't believe the 800k, I haven't seen anything to suggest giving someone like Flegler that type of money and he's coming off a disappointing season imo. It might of took that amount of money to get him away from the Broncos/QLD, but I really doubt anyone would pay that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of those young Broncos forwards got exposed as being pretty average players. The wraps they were getting were huge and Fifita is the only one that probably deserves them and they lost him!

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like a desperate club might offer 500k absolute max..but to say he's getting 650k from the Broncos and turned down bigger money is absolutely ridiculous lol. @maroondog72 you know anything?
Personally i wouldn't go near 500k for Flegler when you look around the league, and the quality and seasoned forwards who are on that 500k mark

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Personally i wouldn't go near 500k for Flegler when you look around the league, and the quality and seasoned forwards who are on that 500k mark
True, there's better value available on the market. I don't know wtf the Broncos are doing, just throwing stupid money at kids and wondering why things aren't going well lol.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, there's better value available on the market. I don't know wtf the Broncos are doing, just throwing stupid money at kids and wondering why things aren't going well lol.
I still think it’s dumb to reject $300k? Unless there’s a way to get that money back in sponsorships it’s just madness

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still think it’s dumb to reject $300k? Unless there’s a way to get that money back in sponsorships it’s just madness
Puts more weight behind those offers being inflated by the journalist. It would have been a multiple year deal aswell there’s no way someone say no to half a million or more.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is he even a starter in there best 17?
Lodge
Turpin
TPJ
Riki
Glenn
Carrigan

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is he even a starter in there best 17?
Lodge
Turpin
TPJ
Riki
Glenn
Carrigan
Only if TPJ is on the edge over Glenn (one of their couple leaders, so probably won't happen). TPJ probably better off the bench tbh. There were rumours they wanted to move Lodge on.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not even close to 500 let alone the shit quoted at the start of this thread, just makes me laugh when people pull figures out of their arse that’s why I didn’t comment.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I fear for the kid’s future under Kev he is pay 2.0 and will try and turn him into a battering ram.Thomas has great ball skills good footwork and a decent turn of speed, but the way the broncs are playing him he’ll be broken before his time.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flegler got smashed (and embarrassed) by Victor Radley in june and he never regained form. Ordinary season ending with injury. Not sure how he'll come back.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flegler is a good prop but 650k is insane. It's no wonder they're cap fucked when they keep spending a huge chunk of their cap on props like Lodge and Flegler.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this like Bulldogs offering Burton $800k a season instead of $800k over 2 years?