Opinion Time to reflect on the eve of change

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the 2012 NRL season, Canterbury finished first on the competition ladder to take out their first minor premiership since 1994. They made it to the Grand Final, losing to Melbourne 14–4.[6]

In May 2013, former Netball New Zealand chief executive Raelene Castle was appointed CEO, the first female in the NRL's history.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An 80% win percentage over 5 years for Melbourne is absolutely insane. It's proof of Bellamy's genius and how the salary cap just does not work when three teams are over 65% during that period.
Goes to show that champion teams supported by top notch systems will always outcompete sides with just champion players. There are some smart minds in Melbourne, not just Bellamy.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my wildest dreams i never thought we would EVER become this bad.
Very sobering thought.

I am 42 and have been a dogs fan my whole life. The last 5 years have been an embarrassment. Those involved in abandoning junior pathways and just concentrating on recruitment should be ashamed of themselves.

The last 2 years especially have been diabolical. People can blame the coaches but we are running out every week with half a team of average first graders and half a team of park footy players. We had 12 players off contract this year and only 2 got signed elsewhere and both on minimum deals.

Steve Hansen couldn’t believe when he found out our board can change every 2 years. We have no stability. If the board don’t get results they get voted out. All this does is promote short term fixes.

Thank Christ for Gus.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why RAY DIB, all the FUCKING TIME!!! Jesus I hated the bloke more than anyone I here but fact is, the Andersons put this club on a massive DILDO then got kicked out
Settle down.

Dib and co’s mismanagement absolutely resigned us to all these miserable years. The Anderson reign served its purpose - they acknowledged the dire state of the club and cap position, took their medicine, and promised to ensure that from 2021 onwards our cap would be in a great position and allow us to recruit effectively. They delivered on this promise and we will soon be reaping the benefits.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Further cements the divide in talent and not just this year as well as salary cap not working
Right and wrong. Right about divide in talent and salary cap. Melbourne basically get an extra 10% through an additional 3rd party allowance for I'm guessing, living in a shite city. It is shite though I suppose, only positive I ever found was the bar where the female danish backpackers hung out 25 years ago which you had to get to by walking through a smoke shop and then upstairs. A very cool thing expect the danish concept of forests aren't good but tbh, at that age, if a shrub stayed still long enough it was fair game.

Wrong though - top 4 teams have stable leadership and coaching to fit their strengths. We have a biannual rotation between financially strapped footballers, administrators of sports teams that have f'ck all to do with rugby league, ladder climbing narcissists with NFI that think we're a stepping stone and kebab shop owners (who fcking sell chicken kebabs - wtf eats a chicken kebab?). Seriously, with the way the club is run, we couldn't win a root in a brothel with gold bullion strapped to our forehead.

So god bless Gus who will call a spade a spade, provide all the solutions we need to be competitive, and then get fcked in the ass without lube by a kebab owner and walk. Guess at the very least the kebab vouchers will be readily available again.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An 80% win percentage over 5 years for Melbourne is absolutely insane. It's proof of Bellamy's genius and how the salary cap just does not work when three teams are over 65% during that period.
salary caps work if a) it is standard for all clubs & b) you have a talent spreader in there like a points cap. Also a draft helps spread talent but Terry Hill destroyed that. It just proves the NRL's mismanagement of the game for many years giving in to self interested people. You would also have to add in rule changes into that too.