Time for the Bulldogs board to be accountable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Like everyone I am happy to bash Des and Raelene for their inept management – seriously it is 4th grade at best.

However, the board are the ones that must take responsibility for the actions of our club overall.

Realistically Des has been given a green light by the board to buy the players he wants and to implement the structures he wants.

Realistically Raelene cannot do what she wants without having board involvement or approval.

The board must be accountable – they have created this issue and yet seem reluctant to do anything about it.

Could it be because they actually do not have the experience in running a football club. Look at the board members and their skill sets and what do they actually bring to the table.

• They have unlimited funds yet we have no assets other than $1M worth of fitness equipment and cameras bought for Des.
  • We have no communication between our junior clubs and the senior club
  • We have no visible pathway for our juniors to play first grade.
  • We do not have sufficient depth in our NSW cup side to challenge for 1st grade spots.
  • We have a recruitment strategy that is laughable at best.
  • We have a playing philosophy /retention philosophy solely focused on 1st grade – no forward thinking or development of juniors.
  • Other clubs have been extremely successful in blooding junior players to compete at the 1st grade level – we do not have any focus here at all.
  • We cannot keep buying solutions to our problems. The fullback issue is a classic case of this – 2 years without a recognised fullback. No blooding of abbey at all this year. No doubt we will throw him into a crunch game and be disappointed because he fails.
  • We have created a marketplace where the gun players do want to come to our club – we used to be the ones to determine if you played for the Bulldogs or not, we choose you, you didn’t decide to play with us or not.
These decisions alone are where the board have the responsibility to ensure the club is looking forward and planning to be competitive. We simply are not up to it and it is a direct reflection on our boards incompetence. It’s not like we do not have the funds to pay people out and make changes. We have enough money to employ every bloody nuffy but not enough to get rid of them.

What has happened with this current board/Raelene/Des structure is that the focus has shifted from creating a successful club on the back of winning games to one where winning a set number of games is sufficient.

The current game day experience is a turn off, its all fluff unless your team has a a winning attitude - our team does not, we play "not to lose" rather than to win.

The merchandise growth and new fans will come on the back of success, not on the back of how well we look socially or how we met our base KPI’s.

The success of the club automatically attracts players to the club – it is a privilege to play for our club, not a hand out because we cannot attract any other player.
  • Our leadership from the very top is failing.
  • Our board have given Des unlimited control and he is destroying the very values that made the Bulldogs great.
  • Our board are happy to swan around talking with other club CEOs’ about protecting revenue from gaming rather than worrying about and overseeing a successful football club.
  • Our board is not being led by people of strength, rather by people who prefer to look the part.
If the current board cannot manage this club then do the right thing and resign, move on and leave someone more competent than you to lead this club.

I want my kids and grandkids to follow a successful Bulldogs side – not a club that everyone considers also rans.

Ray, grow a pair, lead your team and make our club great again.

Keep your head in the sand and your legacy will be that of a chairman that destroyed one of the greatest and most valuable sporting clubs in Australia.

mattressback

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Like everyone I am happy to bash Des and Raelene for their inept management – seriously it is 4th grade at best.

However, the board are the ones that must take responsibility for the actions of our club overall.

Realistically Des has been given a green light by the board to buy the players he wants and to implement the structures he wants.

Realistically Raelene cannot do what she wants without having board involvement or approval.

The board must be accountable – they have created this issue and yet seem reluctant to do anything about it.

Could it be because they actually do not have the experience in running a football club. Look at the board members and their skill sets and what do they actually bring to the table.

They have unlimited funds yet we have no assets other than $1M worth of fitness equipment and cameras bought for Des.

We have no communication between our junior clubs and the senior club

We have no visible pathway for our juniors to play first grade.

We do not have sufficient depth in our NSW cup side to challenge for 1st grade spots.

We have a recruitment strategy that is laughable at best.

We have a playing philosophy /retention philosophy solely focused on 1st grade – no forward thinking or development of juniors.

Other clubs have been extremely successful in blooding junior players to compete at the 1st grade level – we do not have any focus here at all.

We cannot keep buying solutions to our problems. The fullback issue is a classic case of this – 2 years without a recognised fullback. No blooding of abbey at all this year. No doubt we will throw him into a crunch game and be disappointed because he fails.

We have created a marketplace where the gun players do want to come to our club – we used to be the ones to determine if you played for the Bulldogs or not, we choose you, you didn’t decide to play with us or not.

These decisions alone are where the board have the responsibility to ensure the club is looking forward and planning to be competitive. We simply are not up to it and it is a direct reflection on our boards incompetence. It’s not like we do not have the funds to pay people out and make changes. We have enough money to employ every bloody nuffy but not enough to get rid of them.

What has happened with this current board/Raelene/Des structure is that the focus has shifted from creating a successful club on the back of winning games to one where winning a set number of games is sufficient.

The current game day experience is a turn off, its all fluff unless your team has a a winning attitude - our team does not, we play "not to lose" rather than to win.

The merchandise growth and new fans will come on the back of success, not on the back of how well we look socially or how we met our base KPI’s.

The success of the club automatically attracts players to the club – it is a privilege to play for our club, not a hand out because we cannot attract any other player.

Our leadership from the very top is failing.

Our board have given Des unlimited control and he is destroying the very values that made the Bulldogs great.

Our board are happy to swan around talking with other club CEOs’ about protecting revenue from gaming rather than worrying about and overseeing a successful football club.

Our board is not being led by people of strength, rather by people who prefer to look the part.

If the current board cannot manage this club then do the right thing and resign, move on and leave someone more competent than you to lead this club.

I want my kids and grandkids to follow a successful Bulldogs side – not a club that everyone considers also rans.

Ray, grow a pair, lead your team and make our club great again.

Keep your head in the sand and your legacy will be that of a chairman that destroyed one of the greatest and most valuable sporting clubs in Australia.
I agree. The Board must act, and act decisively.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The only problem I have with this post is that you haven't written that to de-Raelene, the person who should be derailed as CEO.

Buffalo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The only problem I have with this post is that you haven't written that to de-Raelene, the person who should be derailed as CEO.
She cannot sack or move the board.
The board however, can sack/move her on today if they wanted to.

The board is accountable for her lack of action and the direction she is taking.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Did you just make this up? Because governance and management 101 is quite clear that the CEO is appointed by the Board and is responsible for the overall governance and performance of the company. The Board are simply there to advance the rights of interest groups (usually shareholders).

If you are suggesting that Raelene is not able to manage the club without board involvement or approval you are incredibly wrong.

Buffalo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did you just make this up? Because governance and management 101 is quite clear that the CEO is appointed by the Board and is responsible for the overall governance and performance of the company. The Board are simply there to advance the rights of interest groups (usually shareholders).

If you are suggesting that Raelene is not able to manage the club without board involvement or approval you are incredibly wrong.
Do you genuinely believe that Raelene is making all of these key football club decisions on her own? If so, then you are incredibly wrong. If she had them all herself do you not think that the board would have acted by now?

Either way we have ineffective people in place for our key structures- a poor board or a poor CEO, or both.

I am asking for the board to be accountable for their actions, the major one being the appointment of the CEO.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Good post, hope you don't mind the minor formatting I added to make it an easier read.

Sadly nothing will change though. The board will see making the finals as another successful year and continue to pat themselves on the back and ignore that anything is wrong.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't care as long as some fuk get's sacked!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Do you genuinely believe that Raelene is making all of these key football club decisions on her own? If so, then you are incredibly wrong. If she had them all herself do you not think that the board would have acted by now?

Either way we have ineffective people in place for our key structures- a poor board or a poor CEO, or both.

I am asking for the board to be accountable for their actions, the major one being the appointment of the CEO.
I don't care who makes the decisions. THe point is she is the CHIEF EXECUTIVE. The buck ultimately stops with her. She is ultimately responsible for the performance of the club, and the majority of our club's performance revolves around the performance of the NRL team.

Yes Des is the coach responsible initially for the team's performance. But the CEO appoints the coach and at the moment, the coach appears to be a big part of our problem.

Raelene is responsible.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Raelene's job isn't football-related. It's revenue and PR.

It's the boards responsibility to ensure we have a coach capable of turning their investment into premierships.

Buffalo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Didn't want this thread to go south - purely and simply, the board makes the ultimate decision on the appointment of key staff.
I am asking them to do their job.
If that means removing people then so be it.
If it means taking greater hands on or stronger direction then so be it.
If it means doing nothing, then move on.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score

You are spot on here

Waterboy
Reaction score
When ANY board of a business or a sporting club hires a dragQueen to be the CEO of their business, then you know it has gone to sh*t.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I pretty much completely agree.... I don't think Castle can not do a thing without the majority of the board behind her though. The board can hire or fire her.... She can't and won't be the driving force behind a change of coach. Pressure the board members directly... Make them aware their jobs are at risk at the next board elections....if the majority of the board want change Raelene will have to go along. She is ultimately accountable to them do the buck stops with them.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the club saying Des has full support of the board will be music to my ears

Status
Not open for further replies.