Tim Browne is Canterbury Bulldogs' man of mettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Tim Browne was looking forward to "an experiment" when he walked through the metal detector at Sydney airport before he and his Canterbury teammates boarded their flight for Saturday night's match against North Queensland in Townsville.

He wondered if the metal plates that patched a hole the size of a golf ball in his skull would create a security scare. "I'm told they won't set the alarm off but I'm kind of hoping they do," said Browne with a mischievous grin.

Browne is credited with bringing "energy" to Canterbury and viewed as a player who can help Des Hasler's team build momentum. He's also tough, making an almost miraculous return to play in last season's grand final 11 weeks after he suffered a depressed skull fracture against the Wests Tigers.

The 27-year-old's injury occurred when he copped an accidental blow from his then teammate Dale Finucane. While he's not sure whether it was Finucane's elbow or the palm of his hand the damage was extensive. In an operation that sounded as though it was taken from the medical journal according to Dr Frankenstein a surgeon took Browne's hairline, sliced it from one ear to the other, pulled his face down and inserted the three plates over the cavity.

"They wanted to write me off [for 2014] just to be on the safe side," he said. "As we progressed towards the semis I asked the surgeon if it was OK to play and he said if I wore the head gear I was at minimal risk of injury."

A few weeks ago Browne was floored by a high shot from St George Illawarra's Tyson Frizell and suffered severe concussion. Not one for bravado Browne quietly corrected the notion he played "without fear".

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't conscious of [the risks]," he said. "I have plates in my head, my skull has been moulded, but the way we treat concussions these days means I'm glad to play in this era because I was symptom free when I returned. The head knocks] haven't made me question what I'm doing. I love it. Why? I love the passion behind what I'm doing. The competitiveness; you want to be the best. I feel like I'm proving myself, I have a lot to give and a lot more to learn."

While Browne feels no malice towards Frizell - "he didn't mean it" - seeing his wife Ellie in a distressed state in the dressing room when he came to, and the concern on the faces of his family, drove home a few realities. "She doesn't want to see that again," he said. "It also affected me listening to how my family felt and I understood what they were saying because I'd be the same if it was one of them. It was awful. You feel a bit nauseous [after being concussed], you can't watch television or read a book because you can bring concussion on. You feel uneasy because you can't focus. It was a slow week after the hit but it's all behind us now."

Source

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Love this bloke

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
One tough mother****er.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Love this bloke
Ditto.

Many people where like "wtf" when Bulldogs bought him across here. He was always a good player in NSW Cup and touted to be a "future Origin star". But his career in first grade was held back through injuries and lack of spots.

Now he's where he deserves to be.. playing first grade football with a club that will look after him.

Not only a very good player on the field (like Tolman I reckon he is HEAVILY under-rated), but an absolute champion of a bloke off it. Couldn't be more proud as a fan to have him playing for our club!

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Very tough man - Go Browney
Go Dogs.

Thanks Mr Invisible, thats what we want to hear - good guy on and off the field,
and a club that looks after him

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ditto.

Many people where like "wtf" when Bulldogs bought him across here. He was always a good player in NSW Cup and touted to be a "future Origin star". But his career in first grade was held back through injuries and lack of spots.

Now he's where he deserves to be.. playing first grade football with a club that will look after him.

Not only a very good player on the field (like Tolman I reckon he is HEAVILY under-rated), but an absolute champion of a bloke off it. Couldn't be more proud as a fan to have him playing for our club!
Im with you Mr Invisible. I will try not to go over the top here, but honestly, my son and I go to all the Dogs home games and we both love this bloke. Hes by far our favorite player. Quite often, after about 20-25 minutes my son will train the binoculars on the bench looking for Browne to spring into action. The look on my sons face when he proudly announces to me...Browney is getting ready to come on Dad... is priceless.

Sure sometimes Browney's a bit overenthusiastic...a bit like Josh Reynolds can be....but boy does he give it his everything when hes on the field. Whether it be in attack of defence, Browney plays a simple style of aggressive football. He will put his hand up to make 2 runs in a set or even 4 tackles in a row. His enthusiasm is felt by all. In my mind hes underrated, but then again, we have the best forward roster in the comp. Hes not underrated by his teammates Im sure.

Needless to say we felt really sick when we saw him go down in the Dragons game and was stretchered from the field. Another facial injury is something Tim doesn't need. More minutes please Des. This bloke can play and will get better.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite often, after about 20-25 minutes my son will train the binoculars on the bench looking for Browne to spring into action. The look on my sons face when he proudly announces to me...Browney is getting ready to come on Dad... is priceless.
Great to hear. Despite what goes on between the walls of this forum sometimes it's simple moments like this that make following our team special!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His defence has improved massively this season

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Browne, Klemmer and Jackson should walk into the blues but some people are determined to be prejudiced.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Browney's a champion, a leader and has real passion for the club and his team mates.
Watch next time there's a scuffle, see who's first in there.
Watch next time someone cheap-shots one of our players, see who it is that "rights the wrong".
I wouldn't trade him for ANY forward currently playing for another team.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Wow what a freak! he had a hole size of a golf ball in his head and he still plays like a machine , I take my hat of you one brave soldier

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he copped that skull fracture Graham obviously didn't realise the extent of his injury and gave him a spray to get back in the defensive line,
which he did.
Tough bloke and great with the fans on fan days.

Status
Not open for further replies.