Throwback Thursday: Bulldogs vs Manly - explosive opening to their 1994 match at Belmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good old times.
It does put as smile on you in tuff times
Oh yeah. Used to love sitting behind the goal posts and giving it right royally to opposition players. Best one was the game vs the Cows ( last Belmore game) where we smashed them 66-4. Rocket Rod a lovely hat trick, he was one of my favourites and he had a great GF that same year against Manly.Sat with Rocket's auntie at Canterbury League's and had a few drinks that day....

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2016/08/23/bulldogs-punish-cowboys-at-belmore/

Our biggest ever win at Belmore came in round 22 from the 1995 season against the North Queensland Cowboys.

With one final game before the finals begin, the Bulldogs put in a dominant display against the joint venture that saw the home side run in 13 tries to one to issue a statement to the rest of the competition.

The final score finished up 66-4, which including a Rod Silva hat-trick.

TRY SCORERS:

Rod Silva 3, Brett Dallas 2, Terry Lamb 2, Jason Hetherington 2, Mitch Newton, Craig Polla-Mounter, Daryl Halligan and Steve Price Tries: Daryl Halligan 7 goals.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Used to love sitting behind the goal posts and giving it right royally to opposition players. Best one was the game vs the Cows ( last Belmore game) where we smashed them 66-4. Rocket Rod a lovely hat trick, he was one of my favourites and he had a great GF that same year against Manly.Sat with Rocket's auntie at Canterbury League's and had a few drinks that day....

Our biggest ever win at Belmore came in round 22 from the 1995 season against the North Queensland Cowboys.

With one final game before the finals begin, the Bulldogs put in a dominant display against the joint venture that saw the home side run in 13 tries to one to issue a statement to the rest of the competition.

TRY SCORERS:

Rod Silva 3, Brett Dallas 2, Terry Lamb 2, Jason Hetherington 2, Mitch Newton, Craig Polla-Mounter, Daryl Halligan and Steve Price Tries: Daryl Halligan 7 goals.

TRY SCORERS:

It’s memories like these that keep you fighting for our team.
I just wish today’s players had the same passion.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My old man called it the wog stand haha.
Lol. Had a lot of friends who were Lebanese and it was so much fun sitting with them. Passion for the game and a while before we ended up with some serial dickhead supporters. The Lebo/ Wog stand was the place to be on a Sunday arvo at Belmore.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another classic game against manly was round 1 2009.

Masri broke the record > We smashed the previous years premiers off the back of a shocker season > des was the coach and was white as a ghost watching on.

Life sure does suck when the dogs are losing. I could win 10 mil and still be shitty the dogs are 1-5.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
You know what the sad thing is I don’t think the kids these days will be getting the same memories like that at soulless ANZ Stadium.
I know what you mean it’s an experience that you had be there to appreciate it.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to defend like manly did in our first defensive set against the cowboys on the weekend. A few high tackles will certainly make the cowboys 'fear our pack'

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

TRY SCORERS:

We also finished the 96 season thrashing the Cows, and IIRC, Lamb, playing a kind of comeback season, was subbed, and the crowd chanted for hi return, so he spent the last 10 minutes, completely broken, hobbling around at fullback.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can’t remember what year it was but we played the eels at Belmore and there was like 26thousand at the ground and it was pissing down rain , didn’t see much of the game that day lol
Are you talking about the first multicultural game against Parra where we flogged them? Great day. Fans were climbing on the roof of the stand behind the posts it was that packed.

It didn’t rain though...

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My old man called it the wog stand haha.
Yes spoonman that was the unofficial name for that stand at the Canterbury road end, opposite the train tracks/Greek Church end.
Everyone called it the wog stand. With that massive Golden Bulldog statue on the roof of the stand.
My elder brother and I sat there religiously at every home game.
All the big bulldog flags used to be located there behind the posts until the old bulldog army moved to the hill.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are you talking about the first multicultural game against Parra where we flogged them? Great day. Fans were climbing on the roof of the stand behind the posts it was that packed.

It didn’t rain though...
I was going to say that as well. Yeah the good old multicultural day........

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/07/31/five-of-the-best/

Multicultural Day 1993

A ground record crowd of 27,804 witnessed a brilliant multicultural day at Belmore Sports Ground on Easter Monday as Canterbury outplayed Parramatta in an impressive 42-6 victory. It was a day to remember both on and off the field as rugby league supporters of all nationalities came together to watch the Bulldogs take on Parramatta. The match had everything from crunching defence to spectacular tries and there wasn’t one Canterbury player who didn’t have a good game. The Bulldogs produced nine dazzling tries with Brett Dallas grabbing a hat-trick and Winger Jason Williams a double. It was a day for all to remember!

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the game has changed a lot since then but seeing as Pay was the ringleader of that pack why hasn’t he got atleast some of that same aggression into our modern day pack?
As the old adage goes” you can take a horse to water....”

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good old Lebo shed down Canterbury Rd end or the other? I miss those days, lol.
It was the wog/Lebbo stand (Canterbury Rd end) opposition supporters called it the animal farm & were cautious and very quiet even as they walked passed- very quickly!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.