Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thorn, Willie tango at monsters' ball
By Dan Koch
July 22, 2005

PLAYERS don't get much bigger than Broncos veteran Brad Thorn and Bulldogs giant Willie Mason.

The pair both stand 195cm and weigh in around 115kg, depending on who is measuring.

In tonight's heavyweight Broncos-Bulldogs encounter, the respective backrow monsters will cross paths in a contest former Test forward Gorden Tallis expects will test Telstra Stadium's sturdy foundations.

"Until you see those two blokes up close, in the flesh, you don't realise how big they are," Tallis said.

"The thing with both of them is that they are not only huge bodies, but they are also really good on their feet and pretty quick. So, they don't get caught lumbering around the ruck and when they have the ball they can build up so much momentum it is like a train coming towards you sometimes."

Tallis believes each is vital to his team, and this is supported by the most basic of statistics.

Of all players who have tallied 100 games and are still in the NRL, Thorn boasts the highest winning percentage: a staggering 73.2 per cent. Mason is fifth with a strike rate of 67.9 per cent.

Thorn's four-year rugby union hiatus means tonight's meeting is just the second time the pair has met on the field. The Brisbane veteran is looking forward to the challenge.

"I played against him in 2000 I think, but he was just a kid back then," Thorn said.

Advertisement:
"In the time I have been away he has really grown into his body. He is such a destructive ball-runner and is obviously a leader down at the Bulldogs as well.
"He's a big guy and won't be hard to find out there. I am really looking forward to taking him on. It's going to be a huge test for us and I'm pretty excited."

Since Mason returned from a foot injury the Dogs have won consecutive games. With a cavalcade of stars expected back over the next few weeks every side in the top eight is fearful of what lurks beneath.

"They are a different side with Willie there," Tallis said.

"It's the simple fact that playing with good players makes you play better. The Dogs have been really badly hit by injuries to their stars like Willie Tonga, Mason, Sonny Bill (Williams) and Mark O'Meley.

"But that has been compounded by injuries to some of their key fringe blokes like Adam Perry, Reni Matua and Luke Patten.

"Now Willie (Mason) and O'Meley and some of those blokes are starting to come back and the other guys around are beginning to lift.

"I have no doubt they will be wanting to send a strong message to the rest of the competition against the Broncos."

The forward packs in tonight's game are similar in make-up in every facet bar one: age.

Brisbane's veteran pack of Thorn, 30, Petero Civoniceva, 29, Shane Webcke, 30, and Tonie Carroll, 29, has battered opponents into oblivion this season. According to Thorn they are eager to take down the Bulldogs "pups".

Mason, 25, O'Meley, 24, Roy Asotasi, 23, Andrew Ryan, 26 and Nate Myles, 20, may be the competition's generation next, but Brisbane's big men are happy to engage them.

"We are a bit longer in the tooth than them," Thorn said with a laugh, when asked about the similarities between the two packs.

"They are obviously a very big and talented pack. Asotasi and Myles have really come on this season and the other guys are already pretty established despite the fact they are still pretty young.

"But we are still pretty spritely for a group of old blokes. I think Webbie and Petero are looking forward to having a crack at the young bucks."

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Never thought of that match up. Thorn is an Athlete. A brain dead thug but an Athlete none the less.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They won,t be no pushovers with the likes of Petero and Thorn but our boys have proven themselves against the Warriors and Panthers and are up tp the challenge,I reckon we have the best tacklers going around and our attack is showing signs of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.