Thompson to Widnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Corey Thompson will leave Canterbury at the end of the season after taking up a two-year deal with Widnes.

At just 179cm, Thompson is the NRL's smallest winger, but has made a fair fist of it since earning his first-grade debut last year.

The 25-year-old has scored 15 tries in 35 games, piquing the interest of several NRL clubs.

However, the Vikings deal, which has an option in his favour for the second year, was too good to refuse. Widnes have also boosted their three-quarter stocks with the signing of former Rooster Setaimata Sa.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-from-ray-warren-at-nine-20150815-gizrzn.html

I was told only one out of him and Perrett would be re-signed. Looks like he was on the money. A bit of a shame if you ask me. Signed as a FB and never given a shot. Plays with twice the heart as som players out there.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best of luck to him, hope he kills it there..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good news for him. He's much better playing in the UK then going to a team like the Panthers and playing Nsw cup.

DIRKDIGGGL3R

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At just 179cm he's the smallest winger in the competition?

Something doesn't read properly there...

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At just 179cm he's the smallest winger in the competition?

Something doesn't read properly there...
He's 5'10" which isnt short for a half/hooker position but most of the wingers are giants now so he would most likely be the smallest.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's 5'10" which isnt short for a half/hooker position but most of the wingers are giants now so he would most likely be the smallest.
5 foot 10.5 inches thats only 1.5 inches shorter than 6 foot.

Billy Slater is 5 foot 10 inches. Is Corey same height as Slater?

Thompson is no way this tall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good luck to Corey, he has given it his best shot at the Bulldogs.

The one thing that leaves me wondering is that he was bought as a centre who could play fullback... but has never been selected in either position.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck to Tubs... he'll kill it over in ESL.

Sad that he wasn't able to make an NRL club his home, but I reckon he'll be back eventually.

Coote, Gardner, Chisholm, Kata, all shorter or same height as Thompson.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Yeah I don't exactly buy into the whole height debate. Yeah it's handy but a good vertical leap and timing can overcome any lack of height IMO

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All Heart, If only he had the physique of some of the other players he would put them to shame

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we are keeping perret but letting corey go our recruitment is ****ed

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
5 foot 10.5 inches thats only 1.5 inches shorter than 6 foot.

Billy Slater is 5 foot 10 inches. Is Corey same height as Slater?

Thompson is no way this tall.
No one does height checks officially so its possible he just gave out that height.

BulldogFit

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All the best to Corey . A gentleman who played with heart . I mentioned last month Sa was available and talking to dogs but he stayed in England

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
All the best to Corey . A gentleman who played with heart . I mentioned last month Sa was available and talking to dogs but he stayed in England
I call bs on the Sa one. No where else was it said bar you that I have seen. Not linked at all. Makes no sense either.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corey Thompson will leave Canterbury at the end of the season after taking up a two-year deal with Widnes.

At just 179cm, Thompson is the NRL's smallest winger, but has made a fair fist of it since earning his first-grade debut last year.

The 25-year-old has scored 15 tries in 35 games, piquing the interest of several NRL clubs.

However, the Vikings deal, which has an option in his favour for the second year, was too good to refuse. Widnes have also boosted their three-quarter stocks with the signing of former Rooster Setaimata Sa.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-from-ray-warren-at-nine-20150815-gizrzn.html

I was told only one out of him and Perrett would be re-signed. Looks like he was on the money. A bit of a shame if you ask me. Signed as a FB and never given a shot. Plays with twice the heart as som players out there.
Damn it would have preferred vossy to take over rabs but warren smith will do

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
corey has been a great player for the club, always tries his best always puts in 100%, good luck to him at his new team wish him all the best

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has incredible heart when he plays, but really he should've at some point been given a shot at fullback, he's better than Perrett and he isn't a winger. Wouldn't re-sign him for the wing, now all we need to do is move Perrett on as well and sign another Rona-esque winger.

Good luck to him

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I don't exactly buy into the whole height debate. Yeah it's handy but a good vertical leap and timing can overcome any lack of height IMO
That's what they tell all the white kids who wanna make it to the nba

Status
Not open for further replies.