This is the best we have looked in 5 years.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe more. I can’t remember the last time we actually looked like a unit.

Even some of our losses we looked good and just lost it in the end or got fucked by refs.

Our attack is dependant on our left edge however our defense is also stoic.

I would love for sexton to get a run as I think Hutchinson doesn’t offer much.

We have all been through some shit these last few years but finally we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.
Yes, the left edge has been strong the last few weeks. However, I have noticed that it coincides with the Preston loss. I think before he was out injured the right edge with him and Kiraz was strong. I think when Preston comes back, and with Critta and Kiraz outside him, we will have plenty of points coming from the right, too.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today was the first game since the Parra game (Round 1) that I've had a chance to sit down and watch in full.

What a dramatic change this team has undergone just in a number of rounds. Two hurtful losses to Parra and Sharks, but from there its been wins or narrow losses late in the game.

Encouraging signs and it's good to see players finally settling in to positions, and us playing like a team for 80 minutes.

Our defence has come in leaps and bounds since the appointment of Jason Taylor, and we are throwing the ball around finally in attack.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our defence has come in leaps and bounds since the appointment of Jason Taylor, and we are throwing the ball around finally in attack.
Just to be clear, JT has nothing tp do with our defence.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We haven't reached the top of the mountain..yet. But Gus and Cam have to get credit for some astute signings and man management. Well done.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Really? Whats his role then, because since he's come to the club our defence has improved out of sight.
I thought he was our attack coach?
If Taylor is our “attack coach” then that leaves more time for Ciraldo to be our “defence coach”. However it is, it is working.

We miss a lot of initial tackles but someone is always there to cover, complete the tackle, plug the gap, put a hault to the opposition attack. The line speed means that the opposition gains, even after a missed tackle, are minuscule. I recall at the AGM Gould was responding to a question about our high missed tackle count and he said that it’s not a statistic that the coaching staff even monitor, they have other metrics that they measure defence on. That 90% of the published stats are not what coaches get their statisticians to record and definitely not what they judge a performance on.

Always a Bulldog

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We are still in 2nd gear, thats the scary thing..

Bring back Mann and Preston. Taffe at half and we have a top 8 team.

Also once hughes gets more mins up his sleeve as well as Kitouga and others... the possibilities are endless..

Its finally nice to dream...

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are looking very good and will continue to do so as Ciro says we will just get better and better

absolutely love it

up the doggies

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But wait. Isn’t Ciraldo shit and the “assistant” and Gould has no idea? That was the talk after the Parra and sharks games. Hell that was the talk even after our trials :p

Or are we trusting the process. Isn’t Gus shit because he doesn’t sign AFB or Haas or JFH or May or anyone else? Or is it better we don’t over pay for players to get us into cap trouble again?

Like I have said all along if not Gus then who. This team was a basket case. Not a click your fingers and we are premiership threats. We had very little in terms of juniors and catchment. Gus had spread a net far and wide from bundeberg to Nz and many places in between. We have recruited a few Marquee players who weren’t in crucial positions. But now the results are coming slowly (seeming slower then most on here who want instant results). We lost to the knights on aggregate by 100-6 or something crazy last year. We almost beat them 40+ to 6 yesterday. Yes maybe knights are struggling but regardless our team last year still loses to that team.

we have a long path to go. But we are on our way, and the system, training, defence and resilience instilled by Ciraldo is starting to show. Yes he is still a rookie but he is the new wave of young coaches that will be the super coaches in the next 15-20 years. Ciraldo, Webster, even I guess ryles and To a lesser extent Fitzgibbon are the next wave of career coaches. That is who you’d want at the club before Arthur, Hasler and even Bennett who’s games as a nrl coach are probably limited.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Suluka-Fifita fit anywhere when fit?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not well tuned but we are def threat on either side. We have so much improvement in us but you could see the diff between our cup side and FG u couldn’t last year.
Some of the lines Critta is running is opening up the space for CT out the back to try and find Kiraz. I think we’ll do ok on the right side as well as the year progresses.

Bronze

Waterboy
Reaction score
Some of the lines Critta is running is opening up the space for CT out the back to try and find Kiraz. I think we’ll do ok on the right side as well as the year progresses.
Critta's experience and straight line running has been invaluable for us - our right edge is turning into a lethal edge especially with Preston coming back. I'm happy to put Taaffe or Sexy as our 7 even with there potential defence woes as they will have Preston and Critta who are absolute defensive workhorses on an edge to clean up there slack. Ciraldo has my full support and faith and we should all continue to back the boys and him to keep improving.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh Preston gives him the straight runner option as well