Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Thierry Henry's infamous handball to come under FIFA examination

From correspondents in Paris, France
January 18, 2010

France captain Thierry Henry's infamous handball in the World Cup playoff win over Ireland will go under the microscope when FIFA's disciplinary commission assesses the incident.

Two months to the day since the controversial intervention secured the 1-1 draw that took France to South Africa and ended Ireland's World Cup dream in Paris, Henry will face up to the possibility of a fine or even a ban.

The meeting of the 21-man disciplinary panel, an independent body chaired by the Swiss Marcel Mathier, was announced by FIFA president Sepp Blatter in Cape Town on December 2 following an extraordinary executive committee meeting.

"I had a phone conversation with Thierry Henry," said Blatter.

"We didn't talk about guilty or not guilty. It was a conversation between sportsmen. I didn't say that he would be punished, I said he'd be the subject of an investigation."

Blatter's diplomacy can be explained by the lack of precedent regarding retrospective punishments meted out to players.

The disciplinary commission is likely to issue a symbolic penalty, as FIFA's rules do not explicitly address incidents of such a nature and a heavy punishment would create an unwelcome precedent.

Despite the media storm that followed the match, with the goal dubbed 'The Hand of Frog' in the Irish press and Irish prime minister Brian Cowen calling for a replay, Henry is likely to escape lightly.

Article 57 of FIFA's disciplinary code concerns "anyone who insults someone in any way, especially by using offensive gestures or language, or who violates the principles of fair play or whose behaviour is unsporting in any other way" and refers to punishments ranging from warnings to the return of awards.

Blatter, meanwhile, has raised the possibility of awarding 'moral compensation' to the Irish team.

"That could be a special trophy or a prize, we'll have to see," he said.

France were losing 1-0 to Ireland at the Stade de France on November 18, having won the first leg 1-0, when Henry teed up William Gallas for what proved to be the decisive goal after illegally controlling the ball with his hand.

Agence France-Presse

:roflol: an 'almost qualified' trophey :p

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
ffs moral compensation

what a joke

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
bahahahhaa

lol congratulations for almost qualifiying for the world cup

hope you enjoy this award :grinning:

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
seriously but if he is investigated and banned for this it can open up a can of worms. What if a player dives to win a penalty/free kick which leads to a win, or a handball is missed or whatever, i know it was wrong but it happened and they should just move on with it all

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
seriously but if he is investigated and banned for this it can open up a can of worms. What if a player dives to win a penalty/free kick which leads to a win, or a handball is missed or whatever, i know it was wrong but it happened and they should just move on with it all
that doesnt sound like a bad can of worms though

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
yeh but then every game can be up for review and you will have every club (if a decision went against them) put a protest in, i just think that if the ref misses the call on the field, then its bad luck and you move on with it.

Only thing they can do is use a video ref to review plays throughout the game but even then i dont think they should.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
yeh but then every game can be up for review and you will have every club (if a decision went against them) put a protest in, i just think that if the ref misses the call on the field, then its bad luck and you move on with it.

Only thing they can do is use a video ref to review plays throughout the game but even then i dont think they should.
i think if they were to overturn a decision it would be bad

but simply punishing a player should be done easily

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If anyone should be banned its the ref, not the players

Players get away with fouls in every game, thats part of football. The issue here is to minimise these fouls.

If anything should come out of this, then it should be video replay decisions

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
he's free to play but i agree with GB how come no one has mentioned the ref's blunder and how is he and the linemen unpunished?

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Fifa Fair Play

Ref's should be punished for blunders. However players should also receive lengthy punishment for blatant cheating.

You cannot punish a team though.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its come to a stage that Fifa/Uefa should consider using Video Tech for goals... A goal in soccer so much more valuable that a try in league, should be considered... No luck for the Irish this time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.