News They are so weak’: Bulldogs’ ‘big deficiency’ laid bare as key selection battle slammed

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Poasa, King, Hughes, Curran, Patolo, Knight, Tetavano, Fifita. Kautoga. There's enough there to keep us competitive in the middle. They just need to be hungry and hunt together and have a big year, do it.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Judging off trials if we win it’s gonna be off our defence. Simple as that, our attack not much chop. We will be a side that needs to ice every opportunity. Can’t afford to have half chances

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That try conceded was more lack of comms with his inside rather than his tackling technique

I think we all need to wait and see what he brings in a real game (not trial) before we go baying for his or any other players blood
Wasn’t the only time he rushed up but I’m hoping a quick fix by Ciro sorts that out. Regardless the trials showed spirited defence, here’s hoping they can keep it up all season.

Would love nothing more than for Braith to choke on a slab of humble pie

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How good for the boys heading into the first match. If that’s not some quality ammo to fire the forwards up and win that battle against the eels and moving forward!

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’d love to hear a different take on our team, everyone in the media just regurgitates the same points over and over

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Poasa, King, Hughes, Curran, Patolo, Knight, Tetavano, Fifita. Kautoga. There's enough there to keep us competitive in the middle. They just need to be hungry and hunt together and have a big year, do it.
100% On paper it mightn't be the most imposing front row, but there were enough encouraging signs to suggest we will be OK, barring another onset of injuries of course. We certainly weren't overpowered or outplayed in the middle by the Sharks, who have a decent quality pack.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just hope ciraldo has us more than just playing hard boring arse football.
We have
Crighton
Burton
Kikau
Preston
Mahooney
Kiraz
Ado Carr

these are more than capable players.
Coach needs to show us why we will rise collectively even though we have shortcomings up front ,why the hard work ethic will get us through and make us stronger .
The time is now

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The article is spot on, but I think we still prove a few wrong.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Judging off trials if we win it’s gonna be off our defence. Simple as that, our attack not much chop. We will be a side that needs to ice every opportunity. Can’t afford to have half chances
It's a simple format, if you don't concede many, you don't need to score too many to win. The catalyst for any good team, is good D. If we can get that right, the attack will follow

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Anasta was being such a punish, wondered if he managed Sexton the way he was carrying on!

Riccio was correct, Ciraldo judging by the whole preseason, not 1 game, in the Storm game when we went right from Salmon > Hutchison > Taafe it was very smooth.

Both options aren’t great, let’s see how they go and not write them off already.

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anasta was being such a punish, wondered if he managed Sexton the way he was carrying on!

Riccio was correct, Ciraldo judging by the whole preseason, not 1 game and in the Storm game when we went right from Salmon > Hutchison > Taafe it was very smooth.

Both options aren’t great, let’s see how they go and not write them off already.
People used to criticise Ben Ikin, that **** is a super genius compared to anasta.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. It's not the best pack, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be good enough. In this market, we were never going to assemble a world-beating pack. But we're building one, along with some fine young halves and spine players.

I don't see what more we could have done for middles this year. It's clear they started looking for ball-playing, speed and mobility once they'd assessed there weren't any big bodies available.

If they bring some dynamic play, real ruck speed, some good shape and use those excellent edges, the middles just have to survive. I've said it before, everyone said the 2014 (and 2005 for that matter) blues packs would get bashed. SOO is different, but playing to your strengths without kowtowing to people like read. It might not work, but I haven't written them off yet.
Nice take PeteHazz. Hopefully where we lack in size we'll be fitter by the end of the game. We'll help with that if we can ball play before the line against bigger packs to make them work hard for tackles.

But with the game being so much quicker lately I think it's probably about ready for someone to capitalise on that with strategy and the right players.

I didn't see much of the trials. But we looked good getting the ball through hands in trial 1. Might be a dream, but it'd be great if Ciraldo and Taylor have concocted some strategy that takes 6-10 weeks for defences to work out. By that stage Suluka Fifita might be ready. We'll know better if Tetevano or some of the youngsters are ready to step up and depending what happens with our absentee player, we might still convince a club stacked with forwards to release another big unit to us.

I'm excited at this stage about what we can do.

i just hope ciraldo has us more than just playing hard boring arse football.
We have
Crighton
Burton
Kikau
Preston
Mahooney
Kiraz
Ado Carr

these are more than capable players.
Coach needs to show us why we will rise collectively even though we have shortcomings up front ,why the hard work ethic will get us through and make us stronger .
The time is now
All we can do is cross our fingers and how things fall into place now.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Sexton is better than Hutch.
I think both are pretty ordinary halfbacks if I'm being honest.
I think they both bring somthing different to the team, but neither will bring us wins, especially behind our very rubbish pack.

Our losses this year won't be a direct result of our halves. It will be a direct result of our forwards.
I keep saying it,
Until we develop or assemble a decent pack then we will climb the ladder.
And then we can talk about our spine and bitch about the coach.
Agreed. It's not the best pack, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be good enough. In this market, we were never going to assemble a world-beating pack. But we're building one, along with some fine young halves and spine players.

I don't see what more we could have done for middles this year. It's clear they started looking for ball-playing, speed and mobility once they'd assessed there weren't any big bodies available.

If they bring some dynamic play, real ruck speed, some good shape and use those excellent edges, the middles just have to survive. I've said it before, everyone said the 2014 (and 2005 for that matter) blues packs would get bashed. SOO is different, but playing to your strengths without kowtowing to people like read. It might not work, but I haven't written them off yet.
"PACK"? So what's so bad about Kikau, Preston, Mahony, Curran, Salmon, Mann, ? A pack does have 2nd rowers and locks and hookers and ours are not that bad..

Why do you guys say "PACK", when you mean PROPS?

Always a Bulldog