there should be at least one woman on each club board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helena_K

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Women in League week has two important roles - a celebration and an opportunity.

I have been a Manly supporter all my life. Even though I grew up on a farm at Narromine, my family were loyal supporters. We took our support very seriously so much so we named our sheep dogs after the legends of the game.

After joining little athletics at the age of eight, I was coached by correspondence by Jackie Brynes and of course I needed training partners. This is where our sheep dogs Crusher, Bozo and Fatty stepped in - to the point where they responded to ready, set, go.

I drew enormous inspiration from these rugby league greats, I was a little girl on a farm and with them as heroes I have gone on to forge a life-long career in sport. There is no doubt competing in three Olympic Games including Sydney are stand out memories but my life since retiring from competition has continued to excite and fulfil me.

Retirement from athletics was a daunting word to have to consider at the age of 30. It has such a sense of the ''best is behind you'' about it. One of the greatest lessons sport has taught me is that success and fulfilment doesn't have a finish line. I have been blessed with two children and a wonderful husband. There are no medals or crowds for motherhood, but there is no greater privilege and nothing brings me greater joy.

Another one of my great passions is the Manly Sea Eagles, I have been proud of how our club has always supported women in league. In 2002, the Warringah Mall Eagles Angels became a part of the club - they are a group of 16 high-profile women who not only support the club but also get involved in community and charity work. The Sea Eagles also employ 11 women within their administration and football departments.

I never really contemplated that my sporting experiences could help my club other than my cheering from the sidelines, but a year ago I attended the Women in League lunch and was inspired by the words of NRL board member Katie Page. She called for greater representation of women on club boards and in senior club positions. She was right, but I didn't think about it in personal terms. I was just a fan.

It was only a few weeks later that I took a call from Bob Reilly, chairman of the Manly District Football Club, who asked me would I consider becoming a director of the Sea Eagles board. It was a honour to be asked to take on the role but at the same time I knew I couldn't take the decision lightly. I had to think to myself: ''What could I bring to the table?'' From my experience of being an elite athlete I have learnt about sponsorship and marketing. This is the only way you can survive financially as an Olympic athlete. You also rely on your supporters to help you through the good and bad times. This is very important to a club who rely heavily on their support to enhance memberships. It is these supporters who keep the club going, families that turn up week-in, week-out whether you win or lose. Of course as an athlete I understand the training, commitment and science behind what makes the team so great. After all this consideration, I said yes to taking on my new role and it has become a truly enriching part of my life and career.

One year on and I attended the fourth annual Women in League lunch this week - this time as a Sea Eagles board member. It was a fantastic occasion, celebrating the women at the grassroots of the game. There are 40,000 women who volunteer their time coaching junior teams, scoring, motivating players, fund-raising and running canteens.

I had the pleasure of sitting on a panel, moderated by Ray Warren, with Australian Jillaroo Jess Palmer, her dad Ron - the Titans' performance manager - and the magical Wendell Sailor. Jess is an amazing athlete competing for her country in her chosen sport - rugby league.

The Women in League lunch was wonderful, but it had a serious message. Katie acknowledged that the game had made progress with the number of women on club boards increasing from two to eight in a year. There was consensus in the room, when she said a minimum expectation should be at least one woman on every club board. I agree with Katie and we want every female fan to take some time to evaluate their own skills and expertise. If you want to take your role within your club to the next level you should contact the NRL's One Community department and they will be able to direct you to NRL volunteer development programs.

Congratulations to the NRL and Harvey Norman for supporting Women in League week. And too all the women who volunteer week-in, week-out - this round is for you.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
we already have a thread on this issue. It already spiralled out of control.

Helena_K

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
your gender shouldnt be the reason for you being selected to any board in this country

i would describe that as sexist

women have it wrong on this issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Helena_K

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
we already have a thread on this issue. It already spiralled out of control.
this is another article

the other talks about having a female ceo

this one talks about automatic inclusion of a women on every nrl board

all women arent the same are you stereotyping women and our issues :p

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
hey i have no dramas. if the best person for the job is a female then im all for it :p

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
And there should be a male on every netball board as well, OH sorry that would be sexist.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
ffs enough of this issue if a male is better at a possition so be it. shouldn't have to be a women at everyclub if theres a better candidate and if a women is a better choice good for them

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
if by board they mean chopping board then I'm all for it

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes there should. they would be able to get the tea and make the sandwiches and do the dishes when everyone has finished eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.