News The young gun “with the world at his feet”

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
GUS took our DNA and spread it to other Clubs and finally came back because we damn well lost it with idiots leading our Club for over a decade. Now hopefully he is putting that DNA back in for good. We have to protect it and screen new leadership to ensure they are properly evaluated and then trained into our DNA for the future.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looks like our future is looking ok.

Having this kid, Woods, oluapu. Also throw in Burton. One will definitely need to play lock if they are all as good as the hype suggests.

Then we have Hutch too :p haha. Went from no halves to an abundance.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
GUS took our DNA and spread it to other Clubs and finally came back because we damn well lost it with idiots leading our Club for over a decade. Now hopefully he is putting that DNA back in for good. We have to protect it and screen new leadership to ensure they are properly evaluated and then trained into our DNA for the future.
Hopefully the leadership at the club has Gus mentoring 3 or 4 decent club people over the next several years with the explicit intention that they become a core part of keeping his work going. He really does know what he is doing, it isn't too complicated, but it does take effort.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We are going to lose some, which is going to hurt, but it is far better to be in the position of abundance and losing some juniors compared with what we've had over last 10 years, a dearth of good junior talent coming through.
Also take into consideration that juniors form doesn't translate to 1st grade form, i.e. there's a chance some of them may turn out to be not good enough for first grade.

That's why Gus is filling juniors with heaps of prospects, there's no guarantees any of them will turn out to be 1st grade players.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Also take into consideration that juniors form doesn't translate to 1st grade form, i.e. there's a chance some of them may turn out to be not good enough for first grade.

That's why Gus is filling juniors with heaps of prospects, there's no guarantees any of them will turn out to be 1st grade players.
Yup, it would be interesting to know what the ratios are. How many who are successful at HM level are also successful at SG Ball level, and so on. If it is 2:1, for example, that would mean for every 10 players who go good at HM level, 1 makes a decent first grader.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That’s if he makes it to the nrl at all. I think with all our junior halves plus Burton, Woods probably ends up at fb. He’s got the pace
Woods has been playing FB in Union & also been talked about as a 6,so def not out of the question if he kicks on..

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Where's all the negative nancies? Where are all the Gus haters? Where are all the ones that thought CC was out of his depth? Where are all those that wanted Potter instead of CC? Where are all those that still think dogs will finish bottom 4? Where are all those that still think our training methods are too harsh and that our training methods are the cause for our injuries? Where's the Clown crew? Where's 04 dreaming? Where's his cousin Polly? Where's Flanagun? Where are all those that were crying because we let go of Alamoti(no way is he ahead of Critta & Xerri). Where are those that whinge like bitches? They have all evaporated like a fart in the wind as was expected.
Bro please don’t forget the people that said we will battle it out with titans for the spoon.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Liam Knights comments after the game were very impressive
Absolutely!! It provided a great insight into what CC's expectations are, how they are communicated & the fact that the players can now articulate what is required of them & what their individual deficiencies are. Not sure TPJ and some of his 2023 contemporaries would have fit that bill??!!

Juniorluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
Have been watching this kid all the way through. He is special. He and Woods are special young talent that rarely comes through.
o Neill didn’t flinch coming up from Flegg to open age. That’s the sign of a gun player.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Oloapu if he comes back might have to evolve into a kurt Mann type forward, I've always thought O'neill and Woods would be our future halves combo, Burton may also need to convert into a centre or Lock at some stage if they all warrant selection.
Woods n O'Neill fighting it out for the #7.
Cassius Tia and Oloapu fighting it out for ?? #13 or #6

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Likewise I hope he is given time to keep developing in cup. A FG debut wouldn’t be too far away but we don’t have to rush him.

interesting Skelton ran for over 300m. He might nab a bench spot at some point soon. Hard to break into the FG side the way some of the boys are playing though
I think you’re right re Skelton. I bit like Hayward, (HB/hooker) to get considered and noticed he may need to develop more flexible positional skills. But agree he needs to be somehow given a shot at NRL level.

up_theDogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think you’re right re Skelton. I bit like Hayward, (HB/hooker) to get considered and noticed he may need to develop more flexible positional skills. But agree he needs to be somehow given a shot at NRL level.
He will probably get his shot around origin time