The UFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was always going to be hard for Carwin if Brock took him down due to Brock's wrestling pedigree. I was hoping Carwin would knock him out, but hey, credit where credit is due.

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
Sotiropoulos was so impressive yesterday against. Made batman look so crap lol I think one more fight will be in order before he is given a title shot. If Florian and Maynard wasnt already scheduled, Sotto v Maynard would've been the perfect number one contender match.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah George was great.... was a near thing at the end of that 3rd round though, although he was never really in any danger..

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
What about Leben vs Akiyama what a fight that was! fight of the year so far in my books. Some good news for mma australia with Mark Hunt signing a four fight deal with the UFC last week. Don't know what to expect from Mark when he enters the octagon for the first time but he's definitely a warrior when it comes to this sport. Hope he does well

Cobalt-60

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Strange that Fitch has said he won't fight Koscheck for the title if Koschek beats GSP. Fitch says he'll move out of the division rather than fight his teammate which is a huge call. Not that it will matter cos Koscheck will need an axe to get over Georges. I don't really get the whole "I won't fight my teammate" deal.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What about Leben vs Akiyama what a fight that was! fight of the year so far in my books. Some good news for mma australia with Mark Hunt signing a four fight deal with the UFC last week. Don't know what to expect from Mark when he enters the octagon for the first time but he's definitely a warrior when it comes to this sport. Hope he does well

Leben VS Akiyama was a good show. Akiyama ran out of steam. He could of K.O'd Leben in the 2nd round.

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
Strange that Fitch has said he won't fight Koscheck for the title if Koschek beats GSP. Fitch says he'll move out of the division rather than fight his teammate which is a huge call. Not that it will matter cos Koscheck will need an axe to get over Georges. I don't really get the whole "I won't fight my teammate" deal.
Heaps of reasons why camp-mates don't fight and in my opinion shouldn't fight. One would be that they have too close a bond as friends to compete directly against eachother just for championship gold. Another reason would be the fact that they train in the same building, in the same room, spar in the same cage. I know if I were fighting a dude the last thing I would want to do is train alongside him everyday for 8-12 weeks

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
If anyone has Foxtel or Austar they are going to be showing a live ufc event for free on the Fuel channel @ 12pm this monday(2 of August) it is the UFC VS 2 card:UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko.these are the fights taking place:

Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Middleweight bout: Mark Muñoz vs. Yushin Okami
Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Jake Ellenberger
Lightweight bout: Tyson Griffin vs. Takanori Gomi
Preliminary card
Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle
Light Heavyweight bout: James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac
Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Mike Massenzio
Lightweight bout: Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira
Middleweight bout: Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss

Keep an eye on Jon Jones,he is the next big thing in the Light-Heavyweight div.He has some crazy skills!!!

Also the UFC is coming back to Australia in Feb 2011 to do another event,most likely will be in Sydney again.

bdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If anyone has Foxtel or Austar they are going to be showing a live ufc event for free on the Fuel channel @ 12pm this monday(2 of August) it is the UFC VS 2 card:UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko

Also the UFC is coming back to Australia in Feb 2
sweet just set mystar to record it.

UFC 110 is the best live event i've been to, hopefully we get a title shot this time (maybe aussie george)

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
sweet just set mystar to record it.

UFC 110 is the best live event i've been to, hopefully we get a title shot this time (maybe aussie george)
I went to UFC 110 aswell and it was crazy indeed & also rates as one of the best events i've been too.What also made it good was meeting most of the fighters and trainers at the hotel we were at.

I'll be going to the next ufc event held here too and hopefully they can put a good card together for it.when i find out more i'll post it here.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko

Main Card

Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Jones defeated Matyushenko via TKO (elbows) at 1:52 of round 1

Middleweight bout: Mark Muñoz vs. Yushin Okami
Okami defeated Muñoz via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).

Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Jake Ellenberger
Ellenberger defeated Howard via TKO (doctor stoppage) at 2:21 of round 3.

Lightweight bout: Tyson Griffin vs. Takanori Gomi
Gomi defeated Griffin via KO (punch) at 1:04 of round 1

Preliminary card

Middleweight bout: Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss
Kimmons defeated Steinbess via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Lightweight bout: Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira
Oliveira defeated Elkins via submission (armbar) at 0:41 of round 1. This bout aired on the live broadcast after the Howard vs. Ellenberger bout.

Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Mike Massenzio
Stann defeated Massenzio via submission (triangle choke) at 3:10 of round 3.

Light Heavyweight bout: James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac
Pokrajac defeated Irvin via submission (rear naked choke) at 2:29 of round 1.

Catchweight (172 lb) bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle
Riddle defeated Johnson via TKO (punches) at 4:29 of round 2.

Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann
Volkmann defeated Kelly via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jon Jones,remember that name cuz as i've been sayin for awhile now that kid IS THE NEXT BIG THING in the UFC.His last 3 fights have been total domination and not lasted the first round(even tho the fight against Matt Hamill was a DQ loss,he dominated him to the point the fight should have been stopped b4 getting the DQ).
I think they need to chuck someone like Rich Franklin at him to take it to the next level,but i think it won't be too long til u see this kid wearing the belt.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jon Jones,remember that name cuz as i've been sayin for awhile now that kid IS THE NEXT BIG THING in the UFC.His last 3 fights have been total domination and not lasted the first round(even tho the fight against Matt Hamill was a DQ loss,he dominated him to the point the fight should have been stopped b4 getting the DQ).
I think they need to chuck someone like Rich Franklin at him to take it to the next level,but i think it won't be too long til u see this kid wearing the belt.

Rich Franklin or Thiago Silva should be a good opponent for sure~!!! Nice stand up fight.... Unless Jones is going to wrestle and slam Franklin down and hammering away with elbows.

If he gets past them. Maybe fight with the winner out of Jackson and Machida. Winner out of that faces Shogun or Evans.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Middleweight division needs a real contender~!!!

Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen COULD be a good match if Sonnen actually can catch Silva and go for the take down. But I can see Silva just counter attacking and being too fast for Sonnen. Unless, Sonnen clips a fluke shot on Silva's chin.

No contenders

Maia was a joke!

The winner facing Vitor Belfort is a joke~! Belfort didn't really prove anything in the UFC lately beside his TKO win over Franklin.

I would love to see Chris Leben VS Wanderlei Silva winner out of that face the UFC Middleweight Champion

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
The best thing about UFC is that Dana White tells fighters who they're fighting (unlike boxing) so you do not to get as many pitiful displays boxing has been putting up lately. Every now and then someone does get destroyed but for the most part they seem to be evenly matched fights. That's why I like it. Though I'm not over educated on the sport and tend to get a bit bored of there's a lot of matt work with no punches.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best thing about UFC is that Dana White tells fighters who they're fighting (unlike boxing) so you do not to get as many pitiful displays boxing has been putting up lately. Every now and then someone does get destroyed but for the most part they seem to be evenly matched fights. That's why I like it. Though I'm not over educated on the sport and tend to get a bit bored of there's a lot of matt work with no punches.
Yea mate they try to give the fans the fights they wanna see and without a doubt it is destroying boxing at the moment.I'm glad u have taken an interest in the sport and as u said u don't fully understand it but that will come with time.

Most of the time when they take it to the ground they are trying to get into positons to get the advantage either to submit or ground and pound them.
There is a fair bit to learn about,specially the ground game but once u get the idea of it u'll come to like the fights more.

If u wanna learn more about the ground game look up Brazilian Ju Jitsu moves and transitions.
As a fan and a student of mixed martial arts i love the sport and glad to see it get to the level it has.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 7, 2010 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California, United States.

Preliminary card
Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Dennis Hallman
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Christian Morecraft
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Charlie Brenneman
Light Heavyweight bout: Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
Light Heavyweight bout: Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
Welterweight bout: Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story

Main card
Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Junior dos Santos
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Catchweight bout (171.5 Ibs): Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves