The Tennis Thread

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Call me salty but Coco has such a limited game, angers me she has won a grand slam, but that’s women’s tennis. Hopefully Medevdev vs Novak isn’t a pushers slog fest

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Djokovic does it again…beats Medevedev in straight sets 6-3 7-6 6-3 to win ANOTHER Grand Slam, that’s number 24.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a beautiful tribute to Kobe

Got to admire that confidence having those 24 printed shirts and jackets ready to go

medvedev what a champion sportsman great speech, Russian orthodox brother

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would have been a travesty to not qualify for the year end semi finals if Sinner decided to tank the match against Rune.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Novak Djokovic in a tough first round match.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And 2nd round Popyrin should have gone up 2 sets to 1(but would have still lost in 5 guaranteed lol).
Nole is under the weather with his health but with so many pretenders i.e Zverev, Tsitsipas etc etc he will have enough time probably to get well whilst still playing every 2nd day.
Alcaraz clearly the biggest danger so if he isn't right he will get done by him I imagine.

De Minaur is half a level below the others but he could make the quarters.The rest of our journeymen Aussie players give it a red hot crack but get beaten and its often in a first to 10 tie break 5th set ffs.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Novak doesn’t seem to age he looks as fit as he ever has. Looks right on track for another Grand Slam win, seems like he’s playing well within himself and seemingly has gears whenever needed when in trouble. Looks like the coach playing against his pupils.

That said most will be hoping Alcaraz can beat him again as he seems the only hope of matching him, however there maybe one other player worth keeping an eye on as he is constantly improving and not far off winning a Grand Slam in the Italian star, Jannik Sinner.

He’s been dominant breezing through and apparently beat Novak TWICE in 2023. Granted not in a Grand Slam but he would be one player that Novak would be worried about meeting in the Finals.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I say the same thing every grand slam but aside from Alcaraz, every other player ranked 3-20 and beyond are average as fuck and not a genuine threat to win one or multiple slams.

Again, credit to Novak for performing at this level at his age but the standard of men's tennis and depth is worse than ever.

Tsitsipas is constantly top 5 or top 10 but I've never seen such a highly ranked player not be able to hit basic shots consistently.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say the same thing every grand slam but aside from Alcaraz, every other player ranked 3-20 and beyond are average as fuck and not a genuine threat to win one or multiple slams.

Again, credit to Novak for performing at this level at his age but the standard of men's tennis and depth is worse than ever.

Tsitsipas is constantly top 5 or top 10 but I've never seen such a highly ranked player not be able to hit basic shots consistently.
If you think the guys between 3-20 are average then how bad is the current level with the women? Haven’t watched any women’s Tennis since Barty retired and before her maybe the odd final or two but never really interested since Graff retired.

Good luck to the women tennis players getting equal pay but how is it equality when men play best of 5 and women play best of 3 yet the quality between them is an ever widening gulf.

No wonder some young sportsmen are looking at a sex change when sports around the world allow them to compete in women’s sports.

Personally I believe the women should be paid 60% of what the men get as they’re playing 40% less when not playing best of 5 sets.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Di Minaur has developed a lot in recent years and beaten 3 top 10 ranked players prior to the Australian Open. No doubt he’s earned his way into the top 10.

That said he is coming through the softer side of the draw, currently playing another unseeded player. Had a first round default win, then breezed through against an Italian player who looked like he’s just come out of the juniors.

Alex hasn’t had a tough match yet and that can be a huge disadvantage when he comes up against players who’ve had at least one 5 set match.

A lot of points Alex has won are from his opponents making a lot of unforced errors. Top 4 ranked players win points more than having them gifted to them.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reports are he still isn't right physically Novak and yet he whipped his 4th Rd opponent..seen this bloke "fox" before particularly so who knows..
Can't see the yank Fritz troubling him much so his health and Alcaraz are the hurdles to a 25th slam.

De Minaur was serving for a 2 sets to 1 lead but choked against the feisty Ruskie lol that might be very costly.
Still reckon Safin is the best from his country I've seen.Their all extremely volatile the talented ones, I do recall one good player who was more passive cannot for the life of me recall his name...
*Davydenko it was, i think.

Last edited:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reports are he still isn't right physically Novak and yet he whipped his 4th Rd opponent..seen this blokes "fox" before particularly this guy so who knows..
Can't see the yank Fritz troubling him much so his health and Alcaraz are the hurdles to a 25th slam.

De Minaur was serving for a 2 sets to 1 lead but choked against the feisty Ruskie lol that might be very costly.
Still reckon Safin is the best from his country I've seen.Their all extremely volatile the talented ones, I do recall one good player who was more passive cannot for the life of me recall his name...
Yufgenny kifelnikov?? I’m sure spelling is wrong

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yufgenny kifelnikov?? I’m sure spelling is wrong
Yes mate, there was him too around the same time as Safin but I think he was feisty? Could be wrong and I edited my post and said Davydenko? But he wasn't quite as talented, just more predictable/consistent.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reports are he still isn't right physically Novak and yet he whipped his 4th Rd opponent..seen this bloke "fox" before particularly so who knows..

*Davydenko it was, i think.
Novak will probably go town as the G.O.A.T but he's either been feigning injury or claiming to be sick for more than a decade now. I've seen him years ago at the Australian Open hobbling around the court and on the brink of forfeiting matches, even the commentary stated, "he looks close to retiring", only to come back from the brink to win the match. He does it because he knows many fans can't stand him or his arrogance. He is merely looking for sympathy from the crowd, happens to often to be taken seriously.

As for Safin, he was a talent but could've been a lot better for a lot longer if it weren't for the harem, he had following him around. Had more "things" on his mind than Tennis when he did make a name for himself. There's footage on YouTube of him demolishing a very young Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open. Even though Novak was thrashed he showed glimpses of what was to come.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
De Minaur produces an insipid last 2 sets ... the hype on 9 for this young guy was silly.Good player but still a level below the other challengers, needs to improve his first serve percentage by at least 20% and his forehand is sketchy/weak even.
Kyrgios fit and with a good prep would smoke him too.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Novak will probably go town as the G.O.A.T but he's either been feigning injury or claiming to be sick for more than a decade now. I've seen him years ago at the Australian Open hobbling around the court and on the brink of forfeiting matches, even the commentary stated, "he looks close to retiring", only to come back from the brink to win the match. He does it because he knows many fans can't stand him or his arrogance. He is merely looking for sympathy from the crowd, happens to often to be taken seriously.

As for Safin, he was a talent but could've been a lot better for a lot longer if it weren't for the harem, he had following him around. Had more "things" on his mind than Tennis when he did make a name for himself. There's footage on YouTube of him demolishing a very young Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open. Even though Novak was thrashed he showed glimpses of what was to come.
Safin definitely underachieved but I loved watching him play and on his day was Unstoppable.

Djokovic/Alcaraz final is highly likely.
I've watched a couple the jokers matches and he has looked a bit crook tbh but will probably miraculously be 100% in the final..great great player no question.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
De Minaur produces an insipid last 2 sets ... the hype on 9 for this young guy was silly.Good player but still a level below the other challengers, needs to improve his first serve percentage by at least 20% and his forehand is sketchy/weak even.
Kyrgios fit and with a good prep would smoke him too.
Geez, you can come down on a guy who is relatively successful as hard as this, but still give some of us grief for bagging out the bulldogs lol.

They are always gonna hype up our best prospect in a home slam. Puts bums on seats. Alex has improved a lot, I think… but yeah, still a long way to go if he wants to mix it with guys like Rublev when they are at their best.