The State of Play - Some scary stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So I started looking into this one earlier.... at Round 8 how have we compared to other seasons, to last year (where everyone hated Hasler), and to Knights teams who have taken the spoon 3 times in a row.

What I came up with is more concerning than first thought.

Our defence is marginally better (or we haven't got belted hard yet by sides).
Our attack is noticably worse.

upload_2018-4-27_23-13-19.png

*Should be 2 Wins 6 losses for 2018.

ATTACK: Worse than all Knights Wooden Spoon seasons and Dogs 2017 season. Better than Dogs 2008 season.
DEFENCE: Better than Knights 2015 and Dogs 2015 and 2008 seasons. Worse than Knights 2016/2017 seasons.
WIN/LOSS: Worse than all except Knights 2016/2017 seasons.

ATTACK: Worse than Hasler in 2017.
DEFENCE: Better than Hasler in 2017.
WIN/LOSS: Worse than Hasler in 2017, and Dogs Spoon in 2008.
Summary: Better off under Hasler.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love your research and makes sense but it’s pretty obvious our team ain’t grade quality. We are just dumb from head down. We will prob fluke 1-2 wins and pay will get the boot end of year

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry bro but fuk stats, not better under hasler full stop, the further that grub is away from the club the better, yea we would have been going better, but still no where near fukn good enough, never in my life has the club been so lost, its sad.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don’t need stats to tell you we will be lucky to avoid the spoon.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So I started looking into this one earlier.... at Round 8 how have we compared to other seasons, to last year (where everyone hated Hasler), and to Knights teams who have taken the spoon 3 times in a row.

View attachment 5731

ATTACK: Worse than all Knights Wooden Spoon seasons and Dogs 2017 season. Better than Dogs 2008 season.
DEFENCE: Better than Knights 2015 and Dogs 2015 and 2008 seasons. Worse than Knights 2016/2017 seasons.

Have to agree with you here mr I

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
But...
Most people will agree If your defence is shit you will go nowhere.
Our defence has improved noticably this year,unfortunately attack will take a bit longer.
Remember Pay didn't promise that we would become 'The Entertainers''.
For and against wise we are +32 better off.After an,arguably,much harder start to the year than last year.
It's not all Roses but it's not all Doom and Gloom either.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lol.... no. Just no. The roster and salary cap problems we are encountering are all down to Hasler....as are many of the less than productive aspects of our play that we still haven’t made in a long time. Notice Pay talked about line speed tonight? I font think he wants us to be sitting back on our heels at times. When that happens, I think it’s down to post Hasler malaise.

Hasler has let go of good players, re-signed the wrong players on too much money, or in some cases re-signed good players for overs.... or on back ended deals that were always going to bite us.... as they did manly.

Whether Pay is the answer or not...well, the jury is still out on that...but we definitely needed to get rid of Hasler. If we’d done it a little sooner, we may have actually avoided some of the financial pain, found the right roster and given Pay a true chance to either succeed or fail. We may well be on the rebuild by now.

Hasler did so much damage to this place. Boggles my mind a few want him back.

You can’t kust look at stats man. Hasler did a shocking job of managing our salary cap and has intolked a lot of bad habits in our team that will take time to work out of our system. The dude fucked us royally IMHO.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Having said all that, those stats are depressing. No doubt.

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
Defence is more about intent and desire.These guys know how to tackle so it would be easier for them to improve in this department.Also defence wasn't really a concern when Hasler was in charge
The real challenge is making the attack gel with a new,effectively,spine from last year.That will take some time.
I have seen enough for me to believe that we will improve,not enough to make or win a GF but hopefully enough to make the 8.
Not only that but we are + 15 in attack and +87 better off in defence,so +102 than the 2008 season.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
sorry bro but fuk stats, not better under hasler full stop, the further that grub is away from the club the better, yea we would have been going better, but still no where near fukn good enough, never in my life has the club been so lost, its sad.
Statistically we are worse in all but defence. Yet Hasler was criticised for his lack of attack.

Point being, if Hasler was still here chances are we'd be in a better position on the table than we are now.... and that... is really all that matters.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Statistically we are worse in all but defence. Yet Hasler was criticised for his lack of attack.

Point being, if Hasler was still here chances are we'd be in a better position on the table than we are now.... and that... is really all that matters.
I get your point but to me its not all that matters, we still wouldn't have been good enough with hasler bellamy, fuk anyone.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I have seen enough for me to believe that we will improve,not enough to make or win a GF but hopefully enough to make the 8.
Not a chance. We'll be lucky if we make 14th position this year and beyond.

Not only that but we are + 15 in attack and +87 better off in defence,so +102 than the 2008 season.
Our attack might seem better, but we can't convert opportunities into points. We saw that last week.

The best defence in the world won't help if you can't score points, as when your defence does crack, you're still looking at a loss.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 5731

Have you been drinking?

Or smoking?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Statistically we got tired under Hasler the longer he was here and the more his back ended contract strategy came back to bite us.... and our start to the season was actually a lot better than our middle portion and end (right up until we sacked Hasler and won a few games to end the year) do who is to say we wouldn’t have deteriorated further under his watch? I’m pretty sure we would have and am definitely sure I font want to go back into a vicious cycle of backended deals and poor roster decisions.

Hasler was kak by the end of his tenure here.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are a club in crisis

The delusion from Pay & Elliott isn't helping. Atleast Nathan Brown at Newcastle can acknowledge there is a rebuild to be done.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Yeah nah

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
Not a chance. We'll be lucky if we make 14th position this year and beyond.

Our attack might seem better, but we can't convert opportunities into points. We saw that last week.

The best defence in the world won't help if you can't score points, as when your defence does crack, you're still looking at a loss.
As I said we will improve in attack.We looked better tonight than last week for instance.
If you can remember a lot of people thought we would be 0 and 8 at the moment before the season started.We should be better off if you count the Souths game.
Apart from the 2 Roosters matches and the Raiders gamewe were in all those other games we lost.Inexperience,and dodgy refs,cost us at vital moments.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
as per the stats Trex was our best forward from 2013-2016

and Tolman was the best in the comp.

stats , schmats.

Status
Not open for further replies.