Opinion The rebuilding Canterbury Bulldogs won’t play finals football in 2023

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL: The rebuilding Canterbury Bulldogs won’t play finals football in 2023
David Riccio
Enjoy the climb up the ladder Bulldogs fans, but don’t worry about avoiding taking that holiday in September. There’s still plenty to be done to play finals footy, writes David Riccio.

Someone has to prick the balloon.

At the risk of being banned from Jobel’s Cafe, the unofficial club house of the Bulldogs on Burwood Road in Belmore, it’s time to quell the drums.

Canterbury won’t be playing finals football in 2023.

Improved, yes.

Top eight? Not this year.

The Bulldogs, Wests Tigers and St George-Illawarra are the three biggest stories to begin the new NRL season.

The three Sydney clubs will dominate discussion on NRL 360, light up the board on talkback radio and feature on the back page of The Telegraph and home page of our digital content more than any other club.

No club has enjoyed more pre-season attention than the Bulldogs.
No club has enjoyed more pre-season attention than the Bulldogs.
Excitement is justified for Dogs and Tigers fans, with a new coach and a strategic recruitment drive.

Dragons fans deserve to be optimistic that a new year will bring renewed spirit, but not without a dose of trepidation, that 2023 could bring more of the same.

Yet it’s the Dogs fans that need to temper their belief that this team will break a seven year finals drought.

Perhaps it’s the distraction of the bright lights that follow Phil Gould’s every move, or the glitter that has fallen at the feet of new recruits Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau, ever since they slipped on a Canterbury polo.

Where will the Bulldogs finish on the ladder in 2023?

Or maybe it’s the belief, which is understandable given his outstanding apprenticeship, in head coach Cameron Ciraldo.

But the cold truth is this, Canterbury will need to produce a 12-month transformation reminiscent of a Jenny Craig commercial, where the before and after photos are barely recognisable, to make the finals.

From the team that finished 12th last season, Canterbury have added just two major signings in Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau.

Just. Two. Major. Signings.

Given the hype, expectation and widely-considered view that the Dogs are headed for September, you would think they have also signed Nathan Cleary, James Tedesco and James Fisher-Harris.

The Daily Telegraph NRL Podcast
With great respect to new recruits Josh Reynolds, Ryan Sutton, Hayze Perham, Andrew Davey and Franklin Pele, who will obviously increase Canterbury‘s potency, all five players would be in the bottom half of the Dogs 30-man roster for the lowest paid.

It’s as though within the space of four months, Canterbury fans have forgotten how far behind the Bulldogs are coming from.

The 12th placed Bulldogs managed just seven wins in 2022.

The team that made the finals in eighth, the Raiders, had 14 wins.

At the very least, Canterbury will need to double the amount of games they won last year to play finals footy in 2023.

New Bulldogs hooker Reed Mahoney is a big addition for the club. Picture: Kundai Chawira/Bulldogs Media
New Bulldogs hooker Reed Mahoney is a big addition for the club. Picture: Kundai Chawira/Bulldogs Media
Viliame Kikau is the other major signing.
Viliame Kikau is the other major signing.
To do that, they will also need to eradicate these horrible numbers from last year.

Take a big breath as we crunch through these figures Canterbury fans.

15th in the competition for tries scored, last in the league for line breaks, last in the league for post contact metres, 15th in the game for tackle busts, 14th in the NRL for errors...and that’s just their attack.

The Dogs defence, which is Ciraldo‘s greatest strength as a coach, reads just as bad.

15th in the league for post contact meters conceded, 11th for points conceded, 13th for penalties conceded and without going any further, 12th for conceding the most set restarts.

It seems also that there has been so much hype about Gus, Kikau, Mahoney and Ciraldo that the Dogs‘ most important area of focus has been pushed to the side.

When in reality, it is paramount to playing finals footy and prove this column wrong.

No doubt the damaging Kikau will improve the crucial area of moving up the field for Canterbury.

The addition of Sutton will help, however, while he is recognised as honest and tough, his go-forward will need to surpass his average 77-metres of last season.

Tevita Pangai Jr is a key metre maker for the Bulldogs. Picture: Richard Dobson
Tevita Pangai Jr is a key metre maker for the Bulldogs. Picture: Richard Dobson
With the addition of Kikau and Sutton, the Dogs pack is largely the same pack that saw just two forwards average more than 100-metres per game in 2022.

The two players? Paul Vaughan (who is now in the UK) with 119-metres and Tevita Pangai Jr just scraping over the ledger with an average of 101-metres.

At Penrith, Ciraldo had the fortune of coaching fearless pack leaders and intimidators like Fisher-Harris and Moses Leota. Who is going to stand up for the Dogs so that Flanagan, Burton, Mahoney and Perham can get their plays on?

Perham will have just one trial at fullback for Canterbury as he is playing in the All-Stars match this weekend. He is fast, reads the game very well and is a strong communicator.

But he has never played with halves Kyle Flanagan and Matt Burton. The same goes for Mahoney.

That spine chemistry needs time to gel.

Without a doubt, I expect the Bulldogs to climb the ladder in 2023.

But finals footy? That will take a little more time.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
11th

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can remember before the finals in 1995 a pundit said how the dogs won't get very far and would be bundled out in the first or if they were lucky in the second round, when the dogs got into the Grand this same expert emphatically claimed in great detail how Manly will have no problems winning the grand final...
Seriously Riccio, go fuck yourself!

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually agree with most of what he says.

The fact we spent the first half of last season trapped in a clueless Barrett trance. Yet still managed 12th tells me if things were better managed. We would have won more games last year. I don’t think winning double the amount of games this year is that big a stretch.

Riccio is another nob jockey that death rides the dogs every chance he gets.

I think if everything goes perfectly. We could jag 7th/8th but most likely 9th-12th.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree on the stats but I would think our season started when Barret left, so there is hope, yep 1 and 7 are up in the air as to are they good enough, no one has flanno in their top 7 halfbacks in the comp, so we may miss out there, but 9 and six will be a big improvement so there is hope. I just look forward to this build or next part of the rebuild, as it finally has direction!!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
As they say opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.
What we have this year can't be put into words.
It isn't about recruiting 2 of the top 5 recruits. It's not about the other guys that have come to the Club, nor the accelerated development of last years squad.
It's self belief.
Gould imparts it. I have confidence Ciraldo will also impart it.
When the team get off he bus they will posses it. It will be in the way they walk and talk.
Thanks to most teams now looking to at least appear to be complying with the salary cap, most of last years top 8 are weaker this year, giving teams from the bottom 8 renewed faith that with hard work they can achieve success. We are 1 of those teams.
While Barrett struggled for whatever reason to get the Dogs firing this year has a different feel.
It's not the weight of expectation.
It's the players self belief.
It's the reason TPJ missed last years World Cup. It's the reason Grub wanted back in. It's the reason why no team will want to play us.
The Dogs are emerging from their slumber and they are hungry for success.
To fans I say....do your best to get out and support us. We will be ready for 23.
GO DOGS

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As they say opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.
What we have this year can't be put into words.
It isn't about recruiting 2 of the top 5 recruits. It's not about the other guys that have come to the Club, nor the accelerated development of last years squad.
It's self belief.
Gould imparts it. I have confidence Ciraldo will also impart it.
When the team get off he bus they will posses it. It will be in the way they walk and talk.
Thanks to most teams now looking to at least appear to be complying with the salary cap, most of last years top 8 are weaker this year, giving teams from the bottom 8 renewed faith that with hard work they can achieve success. We are 1 of those teams.
While Barrett struggled for whatever reason to get the Dogs firing this year has a different feel.
It's not the weight of expectation.
It's the players self belief.
It's the reason TPJ missed last years World Cup. It's the reason Grub wanted back in. It's the reason why no team will want to play us.
The Dogs are emerging from their slumber and they are hungry for success.
To fans I say....do your best to get out and support us. We will be ready for 23.
GO DOGS
110% with you, and to the kennel death riders who continuously bag the team, coach, and the club, well, go support Parramatta or StGeorge with the other scum.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 3rd major and most import signing is ciraldo, but no credit is really pointed to ciraldo s signing . I agree with some of it, last years stats mean nothing this year, what relevance does that have.? Zero
Not alot of thought put into the article, more homework required david. B-

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I disagree. The bottom 8 is shit house.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tend to agree with this article. We Won’t make the 8 with an average 1 and 7 and young 6 trying to carry the playmaking and kicking duties. Will definitely improve on last season thou.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roster wise, we are better than;

- Dolphins
- Dragons
- Tigers
- Warriors
- Titans
- Knights

We are on par with;
- Manly
- Raiders

My Ladder Predictions are;
  1. Roosters
  2. Rabbits
  3. Panthers
  4. Storm
  5. Sharks
  6. Cowboys
  7. Eels
  8. Broncos
  9. Raiders
  10. Bulldogs
  11. Manly
  12. Dragons
  13. Tigers
  14. Titans
  15. Knights
  16. Dolphins
  17. Warriors

Doglover28

Waterboy
Reaction score
its funny cause David Riccio was the fist journo frothing that the Bulldogs will play finals footy in 2023

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just because Riccio writes for a paper, it doesn't mean he knows his ass from his elbow.

My thoughts early on last year were that some self belief would have gone a long way. We developed some when Potter took over. Everything I'm seeing from the club this year stinks of self belief. We also picked up a class hooker who's hopefully going to get our plays started in the right direction and things starting at pace.

I'm not putting my life savings on us hitting the finals. But I'm far from ready to conclude that we'll miss the finals.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Top 8 is pretty weak these days. Don’t have to be a force to make finals anymore. It’s basically too 4 then daylight, I still believe we a definite chance of playing finals. Based on past years number 7&8 spots