News The Mole: Seven new Bulldogs tipped to make team after Phil Gould axes 'dead wood'

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would like to see, but won't happen

1. Tracey
6. Taaffe

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
hopefully the numbers 8

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Bulldogs will have the biggest transformation of any team in the NRL in 2024 with up to seven new faces in the 17-man side for round one.

After finishing 15th, 12th, last and 15th in the past four seasons, football boss Phil Gould has swept a broom through the club, getting rid of plenty of dead wood.

His recruitment has concentrated on quantity rather than elite quality, with one exception – former Panthers match-winner Stephen Crichton.

Crichton will add much needed strike power out wide in the centres, as will former Shark Bronson Xerri, if he can regain his mojo after his lengthy drugs ban.

Xerri looked sharp on debut in the win over the Storm on Thursday night in an encouraging sign.

Former Titans playmaker Toby Sexton did enough last year to start in the key No.7 role, but will be kept honest by Roosters recruit Drew Hutchison, a steady campaigner capable of steering the team around the park.

Blake Taaffe from the Rabbitohs has the speed and class to make a go of the fullback spot in a backline brimming with pace.

I like former Sharks utility Connor Tracey – he has the skills to also make a fine fullback but he is versatile and brings impact, making him an ideal No.14 off the bench.

Ex-Warrior Josh Curran is a great pick-up in the forwards, as is the versatile Kurt Mann from Newcastle.

Another newcomer, Jaeman Salmon from the Panthers, also brings something to the table as an interchange player.

In summary, a sharper and faster team than in 2023 and as a result, should win more games.

2024 gains: Bronson Xerri (return from ban), Stephen Crichton (Panthers), Connor Tracey (Sharks), Blake Taaffe (Rabbitohs), Jaeman Salmon (Panthers), Josh Curran (Warriors), Drew Hutchison (Roosters), Kurt Mann (Knights), Jake Turpin (Roosters), Poasa Faamausili (Dolphins).

2024 losses: Jake Averillo (Dolphins), Tevita Pangai Junior (retired), Kyle Flanagan (Dragons), Paul Alamoti (Panthers), Luke Thompson (Wigan Warriors), Corey Waddell (Sea Eagles), Braidon Burns (Rabbitohs NSW Cup), Declan Casey (Wests Tigers, train and trial), Michael Gabrael (Sharks), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Dragons), Zac Montgomery (released).

BULLDOGS' BEST 17

1. Blake Taaffe 2. Josh Addo-Carr 3. Bronson Xerri 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Jacob Kiraz 6. Matt Burton 7. Toby Sexton 8. Max King 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Josh Curran 11. Jacob Preston 12. Viliame Kikau 13. Kurt Mann 14. Connor Tracey 15. Samuel Hughes 16. Jaeman Salmon 17. Liam Knight
Swap Curren for Poasa or Hughes and put Curren to 13 and that’s probably right… the only other question mark is Xerri, personally, Xerri may need a few more cup games under his belt before making centre his own.

Also, I’m not certain Kiraz is a shoe in with Wilson, Skelton, Mann and Tracey all options…

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of our players are relatively young. JAC is 27 I think and at his peak. Id hate to see our young stars leave, maybe JAC gets swapped for a prop.
I like JAC, I see him as the face of our club, since we have a number of players who could cover his position, swaping him for a good prop might be the go, however no club would let a top line middle go.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Predicted Line Up, not mine
1. Taffe
2. JAC
3. Xerri
4. Crighton
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Hutchinson
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Faamausili
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
14. Mann
15. Salmon
16. Hughes
17. Morrin
Tracey and Patolo might not play next week so probably won't be considered, same with Sutton and KO. Wilson, Papali'i and Kautoga should be given serious consideration. Not sure whats going on with Edwards or Turpin. Not the side I would puck though.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Something was wrong on Thursday.. he had a very strong pre season. Fcuker was running hard at training!
Yeah, clearly he was off his best mentally, I wouldn't use that match to judge.
Ciraldo and co managed the team well, nearly every player to go on field was on point, ready to play smart and hard. Big sign, hopefully that mentality can consistently be delivered

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Taafe will play FB with the vision that Papali will take over 2025. Critta will play centre, but I pray they give him a license to roam ala Turbo in origin 2021. Have him pop up where ever he wants.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, clearly he was off his best mentally, I wouldn't use that match to judge.
Ciraldo and co managed the team well, nearly every player to go on field was on point, ready to play smart and hard. Big sign, hopefully that mentality can consistently be delivered
Liked the young guns attitudes that will keep the pressure on the established players… that has been noticeably absent in recent years.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Salmon will be 13, Curran as a bench player. Jarman killed it the other night, Curran not so much in the Allstars.
Yeah I liked what I saw from Salmon at lock.
I do think curren could also do well for us at lock, but with a fighting fit and inform salmon in the squad I think he edged him out only just.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Taafe will play FB with the vision that Papali will take over 2025. Critta will play centre, but I pray they give him a license to roam ala Turbo in origin 2021. Have him pop up where ever he wants.
How long is Taafe signed for?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I liked what I saw from Salmon at lock.
I do think curren could also do well for us at lock, but with a fighting fit and inform salmon in the squad I think he edged him out only just.
It’s amazing what a difference it makes when someone understands the role CC requires of the lock I’m sure other players will be watching.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think only 2 years. Papali will definitely be ready by 26. Potentially 2025. I’d even be tempted to give him a run at the end of this season if it’s gone.
He will get his chance no doubt
It's a long season
Injury might hit hard
It's great we have ready to go replacement players pushing for starting sports.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some posters are getting over excited by the performance of the Dogs forwards, against what was essentially a reserve grade and Flegg level Storm pack. I'm not convinced Faamausili is a certainty or Hughes for starting prop. Not convinced by Salmon as a middle forward, Curran to me was average in the All Stars game, his few hit ups were ineffective. Morrin didn't look any different from last year either. I hope the Sharks field a strong pack for our next trial. The Sharks trial and the first five rounds will test the Dogs forwards and fans will see how much better these recruits are from some of the forwards already here. Remember Salmon, Sutton and Knight were all essentially NSW Cup players before coming. Mann and Curran were both bench forwards rather then main men. Faamausili was essentially a QLD Cup player and the Roosters didn't give Turpin a look in on their top 17.
Plus the two top halves currently in Sexton and Hutcho were so QLD Cup and NSW Cup. Taffe and Tracey were NSW Cup and Xerri hasn't played NRL for four years. At best the Dogs might improve their finishing spot by two or three places compared to last year.
On a positive the club has unearthed Wilson and Preston, plus there are some very promising youngsters O'Niell, Papali'i, Todd, KO, Woods and Marshall.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s much improved roster looking at those gains and losses
There is only one name on that losses list that would remotely resemble a loss and even that one could be argued.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much.

Salmon and Poasa make up the bench with Morrin.

It's small but they all rip In.
Salmon poasa , Morrin and Mann will be in our starting 17 .