Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you guys hear Ten Haags comments post game? It's like he's trying to get fired. Even if he's right, it's not good to call out the squad like that publicly. This won't end well..

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys hear Ten Haags comments post game? It's like he's trying to get fired. Even if he's right, it's not good to call out the squad like that publicly. This won't end well..
What he say?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What he say?
"When you can't handle the pressure, don't play here," Ten Hag said.

"Those players, they are so experienced. These are such high-quality players so they have to take responsibility.

"In football it is eat or get eaten. Too many times in the first half of this season we got eaten by opponents who are more hungry. This can't be. It has to go away. Every player has to deliver that in every second he is on the pitch.

"That is the demand, the standard, when you do that we have seen last season you get a determined team. We were not always determined on every occasion in games, and you get hammered for it. This has to change."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like I said, he may not be wrong but the relationship between the players and manager is clearly strained already and the players won't appreciate being thrown under the bus like this publicly while Ten Haag takes no responsibility himself..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with what he has said. I’m all for it
One of the players should come out and say if you can't handle the pressure, don't manage here. Haha.

Again, I don't think he's wrong but making public comments like that when your team is struggling and you have already lost the dressing room will probably only make things worse, not better.. We'll see how they respond..

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, he may not be wrong but the relationship between the players and manager is clearly strained already and they won't appreciate being thrown under the bus like this publicly while Ten Haag takes no responsibility himself..
See this is where I’m considered “old school” … he is setting the expectation and standard, there is no grey. If this isn’t for you great there’s the door. To be honest I think he is speaking from a place where he knows his job is secure or either won’t compromise his standards even if it will cost him his job. This is exactly what the club needs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
See this is where I’m considered “old school” … he is setting the expectation and standard, there is no grey. If this isn’t for you great there’s the door. To be honest I think he is speaking from a place where he knows his job is secure or either won’t compromise his standards even if it will cost him his job. This is exactly what the club needs
Fair enough.. I'm old school too. I'm just looking at it from the players perspective as they're all primadonnas these days who don't appreciate those comments and will likely play even worse.

I think Ten Haag is trying something, anything but I think he could have handled things better at times and the issue I have is he's not saying he's made mistakes or could do better either.

Players don't mind being criticised but only if the manager admits they're at fault too..

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough.. I'm old school too. I'm just looking at it from the players perspective as they're all primadonnas these days who don't appreciate those comments and will likely play even worse.

I think Ten Haag is trying something, anything but I think he could have handled things better at times and the issue I have is he's not saying he's made mistakes or could do better either.

Players don't mind being criticised but only if the manager admits they're at fault too..
But what he is asking isn’t unreasonable at all. The best leaders in general lead with their actions. I can’t see behind the scenes but if they see he is working very his arse off, his words won’t mean anything. Last year after they got flogged by Brentford he made them run 14kms because that’s how much they were out run by but he ran with them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But what he is asking isn’t unreasonable at all. The best leaders in general lead with their actions. I can’t see behind the scenes but if they see he is working very his arse off, his words won’t mean anything. Last year after they got flogged by Brentford he made them run 14kms because that’s how much they were out run by but he ran with them.
Like I've said, what he's saying isn't unreasonable but that's a conversation best left behind closed doors I think. Calling out a squad publicly like this often backfires, especially when you're under pressure as it is and the squad hasn't been responding to previous similar comments.

After a while the squad tunes it out or loses trust/respect for the manager and clearly the manager has lost faith in his players. So all I'm saying is it is reflective of where the team is at the moment and I don't know that this helps.. Time will tell but from the outside looking in, the pressure is starting to get to Ten Haag and he's trying anything to get a response. But like I said, it'd be nice if he admitted the things he needs to improve too because it's not like he's faultless.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"When you can't handle the pressure, don't play here," Ten Hag said.

"Those players, they are so experienced. These are such high-quality players so they have to take responsibility.

"In football it is eat or get eaten. Too many times in the first half of this season we got eaten by opponents who are more hungry. This can't be. It has to go away. Every player has to deliver that in every second he is on the pitch.

"That is the demand, the standard, when you do that we have seen last season you get a determined team. We were not always determined on every occasion in games, and you get hammered for it. This has to change."
pretty sure arteta said similar things few years ago and we ended up getting rid of the trouble makers whilst everyone bought into his philosophy

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right there is a very real possibility that the squad might tune out and lose the dressing room but here’s the thing there there has been 5 permanent managers in the last 10 years. The squad has stopped listening or tuned out to them and really it’s been the easy option. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. The board needs to stand firm here and back the manager so the onus is back on the squad. Players have way too much sway these days

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
pretty sure arteta said similar things few years ago and we ended up getting rid of the trouble makers whilst everyone bought into his philosophy
True but Arsenal could get rid of players more easily. With United their problem is they're stuck with so many overpriced players on big contracts that don't want to leave or that no other club will touch. That's a huge part of the problem.. So those cancerous players like Sancho etc probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon but now he's also calling out other players too..

We'll see how it unfolds. Either way it's a mess at United that probably won't change anytime soon until those players are moved on.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
True but Arsenal could get rid of players more easily. With United their problem is they're stuck with so many overpriced players on big contracts that don't want to leave or that no other club will touch. That's a huge part of the problem.. So those cancerous players like Sancho etc probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon but now he's also calling out other players too..

We'll see how it unfolds. Either way it's a mess at United that probably won't change anytime soon until those players are moved on.
they'll have to wait until there contract ends if they cant move them on which is what we did to some of the players we let go

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why are you boys so quiet? You're actually doing ok. Should have scored another 3-4

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
RIP to Bobby Charlton. He was a true legend, a great man and the best English player ever. I'm glad United could honour him with a win.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
United have scraped through a lot of these games but they keep finding ways to win, even if it has been against lesser teams. They're slowly finding their rhythm.. The crazy thing is after such a tumultuous start, they're only 5 points off 4th and 1 point off 5th with the EPL probably getting a 5th CL spot next year..

The real test will come against the top 8 teams though to see how they measure up..

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
United have scraped through a lot of these games but they keep finding ways to win, even if it has been against lesser teams. They're slowly finding their rhythm.. The crazy thing is after such a shocking and tumultuous start, they're only 5 points off 4th.. The real test will come against the top 8 teams though to see how they measure up..
well next wk is the real test in hindsight....
should be a good game the manchester derby