Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is flattered by calls for him to be awarded a knighthood by relatives of victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

Families of the supporters killed in the 1989 tragedy have asked Liverpool Walton MP Steve Rotherham, the city's former Lord Mayor, to put down an Early Day Motion requesting the Queen confer a knighthood on the Scot.

Dalglish was in his first spell as Liverpool manager when 96 fans were crushed to death at the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's ground.

The 60-year-old earned widespread gratitude and admiration for the role he played representing the city and the club in the aftermath of the disaster.

He attended many funerals in person and remains emotionally involved.

On Friday, Rotherham told a crowd of thousands at a memorial service at Anfield to mark the 22nd anniversary of Hillsborough of the families' request.

Dalglish said: "It is very flattering but I just go about my work, do the best I can.

"If somebody wants to do things that are outside my control that is up to them, but it is very flattering.

"But I don't think I will get carried away with it."

Dalglish resigned as Liverpool boss in 1991, later admitting the stresses associated with Hillsborough had taken a heavy toll.

He returned to the Anfield hotseat for a second time in January following the departure of Roy Hodgson.

He attended Friday's service along with all players on the club's books and many former Reds stars and reiterated his continuing support for the families' quest for justice.

Dalglish said: "It was very poignant.

"Everybody that has some feeling for Liverpool Football Club realises the importance of yesterday's day and the service.

"Every single person from the football side of the club were there, the Academy lads were all there for the first time, which was brilliant.

"You tend to forget that it was 22 years ago and some of them weren't born then.

"It is fantastic to see the progress they are making in their quest for some form of justice and I just hope they get it.

"We want to make sure they get what they deserve and I don't think they have had what they deserve so far."

Maza

Reaction score
Will be cheering for a Liverpool win on Monday (can't believe my fingers just typed those words!!!)

But being Liverpool I wouldn't be surprised if you lose just to spite United :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Aurelio - HAMSTRING
Carroll - Ankle ligament
Carragher - suspected broken jaw and concussion

Fanoftheyears

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well our defence was awesome but our attack was non-existant for most of the match. We deserved a point imo.

Kenny telling Wenger to piss off was the highlight.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Well our defence was awesome but our attack was non-existant for most of the match. We deserved a point imo.

Kenny telling Wenger to piss off was the highlight.
credit to those teenagers... flanagan and robinson... and reina absolutely saved us too many times

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish praised the spirit of his side after they scored a 101st-minute penalty to earn a 1-1 draw at title-chasing Arsenal.

Robin van Persie's 98th-minute spot-kick had looked to have kept Arsenal on the tail of leaders Manchester United, but there was still time, owing to a lengthy stoppage after Jamie Carragher was knocked out on the field, for Emmanuel Eboue to foul Lucas Leiva and allow Dirk Kuyt to net at the other end.

Carragher's withdrawal left Liverpool short of experience, with rookie defenders Jack Robinson and John Flanagan repelling Arsenal for the majority of the game.

"I think what we did at the end epitomised the performance," Dalglish told Sky Sports afterwards.

"We lost two players (Carragher and Andy Carroll), we had two teenagers at right and left-back, playing against a side looking to win the league.

"We remained committed to getting something out of the game and we had to play on."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was unhappy that, after eight minutes on added time had been signalled, referee Andre Marriner awarded Liverpool's penalty three minutes after that time had passed.

Wenger had words with Dalglish on the touchline after Kuyt's goal, but the Scot added: "I'd rather not repeat what was said.

"I don't know why a conversation between two managers on the bench is relevant after a game like that. It's not worth the time of day."

Wenger admitted he was unhappy that so much added time had been played, and also claimed that he did not believe Liverpool's penalty should have been awarded.

He said: "It was a game where Liverpool defended a lot. I feel hard done by in the end because the time was over by three minutes.

"But you have to take it and you continue to fight. Extra time was eight minutes.

"Lucas played in an intelligent way. He stopped his run and the referee saw penalty, but what can you do about it?"

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
as for what happened at the end...

[video=youtube;k2yK_5fFsPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yK_5fFsPc[/video]

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully Dalglish gets a ban for that. I absolutely hate when Wenger protests like he does, but all managers do the same and whether or not the decision was actually right isn't justification for Dalglish to verbally abuse Wenger like that.

We gave Liverpool and the travelling fans a ****ing great reception today too. Dalglish is in no position to treat Wenger like that.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully Dalglish gets a ban for that. I absolutely hate when Wenger protests like he does, but all managers do the same and whether or not the decision was actually right isn't justification for Dalglish to verbally abuse Wenger like that.

We gave Liverpool and the travelling fans a ****ing great reception today too. Dalglish is in no position to treat Wenger like that.
I was very impressed with the reception given to the travelling reds. I've been to a few Arsenal away trips in my time and have always been welcomed by the Gooners. :grinning:

As to Kenny telling Wegner where to go? From what I saw it looked like he went to shake hands then Wegner had words to say which resulted in Kenny telling him where to go.

Arsenal can only blame their own for not winning the title this year. They have shot themselves in the foot too many times this season. There are at least 12-13 points dropped that should never have been dropped. For that, no matter who you support you cannot blame anyone but the squad.

Liverpool did the same thing a couple of years ago. Draws at home to Stoke and Fulham to name but two games where points were dropped and was the difference between first and second.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
how good were both flanagan and robinson to step up to that level?

Robinson had troubles with theo early on but managed to contain him very well later on in the game til he went off

Flanagan shows so much good composure and very confident in what he is doing

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was very impressed with the reception given to the travelling reds. I've been to a few Arsenal away trips in my time and have always been welcomed by the Gooners. :grinning:

As to Kenny telling Wegner where to go? From what I saw it looked like he went to shake hands then Wegner had words to say which resulted in Kenny telling him where to go.
Arsenal fans are pretty fond of Liverpool as far as rivalries go and in comparison to their respective rivalries with the likes of United, Chelsea (Spurs & Everton), and I believe it is similar the other way around.

What actually happened with Kenny and Wenger is Kenny took exception to Wenger protesting the penalty, because he said 'It was a penalty' to Wenger before Wenger approached and Kenny told him to '**** off'.

I think a lot is being made out of it to be honest, and it's not that big of a deal.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it's really ban worthy. He'll hopefully just get a fine.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was clearly offended by the language dalglish used, 2 match ban please FA

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Liverpool are ready to offer Joe Cole plus £8m in a swap deal for Aston Villa winger Ashley Young.
Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham are reported suitors of the winger but the Anfield club could emerge as favourites to land Young with an alluring swap deal involving midfielder Joe Cole plus a cash offer.

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish is keen to offload the 29-year-old who has endured a torturous time since his summer move to Anfield, struggling for form and fitness, and it now seems the Scot is ready to cut his losses with the former Chelsea player.

Liverpool have reportedly signed French winger Sylvain Marveaux for next season and the club are eyeing one more orthodox wide man to provide service for new strikers Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Kenny Dalglish insists Liverpool remain the "best club in English football, if not world football" despite pushing great rivals Manchester United a step closer to a record 19 domestic championship titles after snatching a dramatic 1-1 draw with the last kick of the Premier League game at Arsenal.

Dirk Kuyt's penalty with the last kick of the game secured a point for the Reds, who had earlier seen captain Jamie Carragher knocked out after a clash of heads with John Flanagan and carried off on a stretcher.

Just moments earlier, though, it had seemed as if Arsenal would keep up the pressure on United when Robin van Persie scored from the spot deep into eight minutes of stoppage time.

With United now six points ahead of the Gunners, it seems the championship is set to return to Old Trafford, which would see the Red Devils eclipse the achievements of their rivals from Merseyside.

However, for Dalglish, that would not take anything away from Liverpool.

"Sadness? In my eyes we are still the best club in English football, if not world football, so I am not very sad at that," said the Scot, in his second stint as manager at Anfield, where he won a plethora of honours as a player.

"The surprise is that they [Liverpool] have not won the title for a long time, that is the surprise, but it's not sadness, it's just a fact of life.

"They never acquired enough points in any season since 1991 to win it.

"They came close a couple of years ago when Rafa (Benitez) went close, had a fantastic record against the so-called top four, but just couldn't get it over the line."

Dalglish added: "It will be fantastic to get back there, but you need to hit the standards other teams have set.

"That is four games - United, [Manchester] City, Arsenal and Chelsea. We only dropped two points and that was here."

Dalglish believes his injury-hit squad can take great heart from recent displays.

"I don't think there's any team anywhere that's shown the same attitude and commitment that our team showed," said Dalglish, who took £35million striker Andy Carroll off as a precaution after he jarred his knee.

"Losing Fabio Aurelio early on, putting a 17-year-old on at left-back, losing our captain, having right-back at only 18 with his second game, we have lost our centre forward, we've lost a goal and eight minutes into injury time they still didn't want to accept that were going to get nothing from the game.

"You can't speak any higher about them than that."

Dalglish was quick to play down a touchline spat with Wenger at the final whistle.

"That would be sad too if that was reported," he said.

"I just told him there I still owe him dinner. There's no problem."

Carragher, meanwhile, maintained there was no cause for alarm over his head injury despite being carried off on a stretcher, his neck in a brace and given oxygen.

However, after treatment at the Emirates Stadium, the veteran Reds centre-half had recovered enough to join in the celebrations at the final whistle.

"It was a little clash of heads and these things happen in football. As soon as I came round I was absolutely fine," the 33-year-old said.

"I watched their penalty in the dressing room and then saw that we got our own.

"I was just praying that we scored because to get four points out of six from the last two games is fantastic.

"I went out onto the pitch at the end because I wanted to celebrate with the lads."

Carragher added: "Some of the players we had out there, because of the injuries we had, still qualify for the youth team so it was a really good team performance."

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Liverpool have agreed deals to sign Ashley Young from Aston Villa and Newcastle left back Jose Enrique.

England winger Young has been a long term target for the Anfield club and he looks set to join in the summer along with Spanish defender Enrique.

Joining them could be Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam, also a target for Manchester United. A source close to the club said a deal is close for Adam, while Liverpool are also still in the hunt for Bolton centre back Gary Cahill.

Adam was being chased by both Liverpool and United before the January transfer window but the Seasiders managed to hold out and keep Adam to bolster their bid to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Now it is thought Adam will go whatever Blackpool's fate in a month's time. He may well leave Bloomfield Road along with manager Ian Holloway.

Source: Sportingo

grk_adonis

THIS IS ANFIELD!
Reaction score
I hope to god we dont sign adam, but if we do i hope its for nothing more than 5mil...
ashley young on the other hand...8mil and joe cole would be a bargain!