Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just spent 3 months over there watching games and I can assure you Rafa is going nowhere, H&G will be forced to sell within a year, Everton are still rubbish, the league is the priority over any other comp and never beleive anything you read in the Sun.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
hmm... i think i have been harsh about blaming lucas for a wrong reason... this guy has made quite a few interesting points... he is not only blaming benitez but also blaming old man fergie...

Lucas And Anderson Are Both Being Played Out Of Position
I wrote in last season commenting on how odd I thought it was that both Sir and Benitez were using Anderson and Lucas respectively as defensive midfielders in the Brazilian "volante" position. My letter wasn't published but given both players' step backwards I think I'll comment on it again.

While living in Brazil in 2006/7 I obviously had a lot of football conversations. Some of these involved the aforementioned players because I had seen them play in the Brazilian Sub20 team. My point is that they were both attacking midfielders/wingers. Lucas scored a few cracking goals and was even used in the second striker position. When Benitez bought him he took a player who was being touted in his home country as a new Kaka/Rivaldo and told him to play defensive mid. Bloody strange in my opinion. Even stranger that he persists with it.

I thought the same about Anderson, but after one good performance against Arsenal where he did a lot of running people were convinced he was "the new Keane". I was never so sure and have been proved right by his second season and actually now I think of it, the back end of last season. He played on the wing for Brazil's senior team in the Copa America, as an attacking option.

If these players were played in their natural positions we'd see their true class.

Lucas is being vilified but I blame the manager for playing him out of position. It would be like Arsenal choosing to play Arshavin as a replacement for Flamini....

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
BENITEZ TORN OVER TORRES HAMSTRINGS
Posted 06/02/09 16:14EmailPrintSave

Liverpool 4/5, Draw 9/4, Portsmouth 4/1
Rafael Benitez admits he has a "big decision" to make over whether to risk Fernando Torres' delicate hamstrings against troubled Portsmouth on Saturday.

And Liverpool have already held discussions with the Spain squad's medical team over whether Torres should be used next week in the friendly with England.

In the wake of the disaster of losing captain Steven Gerrard with a torn hamstring for three weeks, the Reds manager knows he dare not allow Torres to suffer yet another breakdown as the club's title chase reaches the critical final phase.

Benitez believes Gerrard's injury was partly prompted by the tiredness he was feeling after his 32nd club game of the season.

Now the spotlight turns to Torres, who has suffered three hamstring injuries already while on international duty over recent months.

Benitez said: "Everyone can see that Torres is not quite up to his full fitness yet after his last hamstring injury. He was capable of scoring two against Chelsea last weekend but also looking tired against Everton.

"He is not sharp enough. It is a risk to play him, and we took him off against Everton because he was just not able to work any more towards the end.

"We now must see whether he is ready for the next game, that is our big decision.

"There is no point worrying about him playing for Spain next week because we know he will be selected, whatever we say.

"The Spanish manager (Vicente del Bosque) has tried to contact me, but we missed each other. But we will talk. Today we have been speaking to the Spanish squad's fitness coach, so they know the situation.

"They know our players are involved in a lot of games now and they will take care of him.

"The problem now is that Spain are doing so well, they want to keep everybody together and they want to continue to create a very good atmosphere.

"I understand, it is not easy for the manager. But they know about our season."

Benitez accepts that Torres would always opt to play, regardless of his physical condition.

He added: "If you ask Fernando whether he has a problem, he will say no. Always players say that, so we need to check him and decide.

"Players always want to play every game, so this is a decision for the staff rather than Torres. Maybe we have to protect the player from himself.

"I recall an experience in Valencia when I had four players coming back from injury. They all said they were fine for a match, no problem. Thirty minutes later all four were a disaster. We cannot allow that to happen here."

Liverpool, who have not lost a league game since November, know they dare not slip up at Fratton Park following their FA Cup exit at the hands of Everton.

Benitez said: "Now we have an international break that will be good for Stevie to recover, and although we would rather still be in the FA Cup, we now have a situation where we will have to play less games this season and that could help us in other directions.

"Stevie will be out maybe for three weeks, he will have extensive work now with the medical team and some players react quicker than others. He may be back sooner rather than later.

"But I still feel that we have enough quality in our squad to cope with such problems, we have plenty of players who can fit in up front and in midfield.

"We must play a few games without Stevie, but we have options even after selling Robbie Keane.

"I am really pleased with Ryan Babel's progress at the moment, and in Dirk Kuyt we have a player you can guarantee will play well and give everything.

"He is a fantastic player, a great professional and he is always positive. He is not a player you need to talk much to about coping with difficult situations.

"If Torres is ready, that is another important option. But I also believe we have good young players who can come in."

Benitez will be without the suspended Lucas and also has a worry over Xabi Alonso's ankle injury.

He moved to counter claims that he is "at war" with the club owners over his contract, seemingly made by Alonso in a Spanish media interview.

Benitez said: "We are not in a war, we are working together trying to improve and we are looking for the best things for the team.

"We are still talking over my contract, but there is no more progress yet.

"We are talking, we do not have any problems. But we do have different ideas in different things so we will keep talking."

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Liverpool are lining up a major summer swoop for Brazilian superstar Keirrison to replace Robbie Keane at Anfield.

The Palmeiras striker was voted Brazil's Young Player of the Year last season and Rafa Benitez is desperate to pair him up with Fernando Torres in a deal that could be worth £20 million.

Liverpool are in need of firepower after selling Kop flop Keane back to Spurs and Keirrison has been identified as Bentiez's number one target.

The Brazilian under 21 international has been linked with a host of top European clubs since scoring 54 goals in 100 appearances for Coritiba.

A Liverpool insider said: "Rafa Benitez has been following Keirrison's progress since he came on the scene three years ago and he wants him at Anfield."

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, Fiorentina and Lyon have all made enquiries about the Brazilian, but Liverpool are now favourites after allowing Keane to leave - releasing funds for the capture of Keirrison.

The insider added: "Rafa is convinced that he's the missing link in the Liverpool side and will fight tooth and nail to sign him.

"The club have already sent scouts to South America to watch him play and they've been dazzled by Keirrison's ability."

He is currently on loan at Brazilian outfit Palmeiras from Traffic Sports Marketing, who own his transfer rights - a deal similar to that between Carlos Tevez and Media Sports Investment.

The youngster scored two goals on his Palmeiras debut where he will stay for the rest of the season before making his impending multi-million pound move in the summer.

The Brazilian would not be alone on Merseyside either with compatriots Lucas Leiva, Fabio Aurelio and Diego Cavalieri already settled at Anfield.

Malla

Reaction score
average aye? so how the **** did we beat your bunch early in the season and beat chelsea twice?
How the **** did you draw to Stoke twice, how the **** did you lose to Everton, how the **** did you give up a 6 point advantage for the league. How the ****??

K

kennyy

hey malla watch me beat the top 4 competitors but get complacent with the other 20

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the **** did you draw to Stoke twice, how the **** did you lose to Everton, how the **** did you give up a 6 point advantage for the league. How the ****??
How the f*ck are we 2nd? How the f*ck have only TWO teams beaten us all season.

Go away.

Malla

Reaction score
yeah man people are going to remember those wins against chelsea more than the losses against the bottom teams even though theyre the reason why we're not still number one

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
lol you are number 2 because you arent number 1

second place = first loser
is that how you cunts felt when you came 2nd to chelsea, arsenal, blackburn, liverpool and everton in past seasons?

grk_adonis

THIS IS ANFIELD!
Reaction score
Rafa got saved big time...anything less than 3 points this morning and he was gonna get a bashing after that team he put out...6 defenders, a defensive midfielder, and a 19 yo kid, against a team who was there for the taking, a team who hasnt in 13 games or somethin...

the three subs, alonso, kuyt and torres had a part to play in all 3 goals, which shows you that if they were on from the beginning it would have been a big score...and goal difference could decide the title...

GO THE REDS!!!

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
No Gerrard???? NO WORRIES!!!!!!!!!

LIVERPOOL 2008/09 PREMIERSHIP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malla, have you ever played football before?
How long have you been watching the game for?
Have you ever kissed a girl?