The hard work at the heart of Craig Bellamy’s coaching and the Melbourne Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CRAIG Bellamy’s day starts before dawn. When most Melbourne Storm players are still asleep, their 57-year-old coach is in the gym.

At 5am six days a week, the NRL’s most esteemed coach — in his 15th season at Storm — can be found working out at AAMI Park. On the seventh day he skips the weight room and goes for a two-hour walk.

“He’s religious about it,” club great Robbie Kearns said. “The young kids sometimes try to impress the coaching staff by getting into the gym a bit early, but Craig has always already been and gone.”

Work ethic has been a constant throughout Bellamy’s life and he preaches it to his players. He wants them to work hard and — always — to be respectful and humble. He is an old-school man, to whom politeness and courtesy is of the utmost importance. It is also expected from his players, and any big heads are quickly shown the door. It was how Bellamy was brought up.

He shares a friendship with Alastair Clarkson, the coach of AFL power Hawthorn, who was struck by how much he shared in common with his NRL counterpart when they first met six years ago. Their football codes may be poles apart, but they are in strong agreement when it comes to the art of coaching and getting the best out of their players.“We’re both from the country with working class backgrounds and followed our dreams from the bush to the city,” Clarkson told the Herald Sun. “Our philosophies are pretty closely aligned and so are our upbringings, and also our partners get along really well. “That’s where the bond has been formed.”

Not surprisingly, Bellamy and Clarkson — who share a staggering seven grand final wins between them as coaches — relate to each other in many ways. Not only do they have similar backgrounds — as well as both enjoying Seinfeld and classic rock music — but they sit atop of their respective code’s coaching totem pole.

They often catch up for coffee to talk about life, and the occasional sharing of ideas. Clarkson has entered the famous Storm inner sanctum on several occasions, including Bellamy’s coaches’ box on game day.
He has also addressed the Storm players, and Bellamy, in turn, has done the same at Hawthorn. Clarkson said the animated Bellamy Storm fans see on game day was far different to the private man. Asked to describe the Bellamy he knows, Clarkson replied: “I think of his devotion to family, his players and his mates, which comes from his upbringing and his family and community.

“Somehow he’s been able to transfer all that into the culture that is Melbourne Storm today.
“Craig’s chief role, as is mine, is to ensure all these individuals who have their own agendas, in a sense, stick to the one collective agenda, which is team success. “He has been an absolute master at making sure that his leadership disciples, like (Cameron) Smith, (Billy) Slater and (Cooper) Cronk, are spreading that message from the locker rooms, as well.
“That has been the key to their success, I believe.”

Storm shares its AAMI Park training facilities with the A-League’s Melbourne Victory and AFL club Melbourne. Victory coach Kevin Muscat, another Bellamy confidant, said it was hard not to be impressed by the Storm coach’s presence around the precinct.

WAITING: Will Friend’s day ever come?
BATTLE: The rivalry that defined rugby league

“When he walks into room, or you see him in the corridor, he’s got an aura about him and he commands a respect with the way he conducts himself,” Muscat said. “I’ve spent a few days with them and his delivery when he talks to players is second to none. “I’ve heard quite a few people, but his directness and approach in getting a message across to the players struck home to me.”

Bellamy’s methods and approach have become the stuff of legend, and the stories are passed down to new Storm recruits every year.
Like the famous tale of his first day at the club — the start of pre-season training for the 2003 season. Bellamy took the players to the 3.8km Tan running track around the Melbourne Botanical Gardens and put nearly all of them to shame. “We would do two laps of the Tan, with a five-minute break between laps,” Kearns said.

“The fittest we had at the time was Robbie Ross, and Craig would run side by the side with Robbie at the front for both laps, and Robbie couldn’t believe it. Craig wanted to lead by example.”
Another story concerns Bellamy often taking his players out into the bush, making them run up hills while he hid among the trees.
“We’d call him the sniper — you’d just see his head bob up,” Kearns recalled.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The "Hard Work" was cheating the salary cap, then offloading a shitload of fringe players, keeping your spine, and cheating your way to much future success.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The "Hard Work" was cheating the salary cap, then offloading a shitload of fringe players, keeping your spine, and cheating your way to much future success.
Get over it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes the best coach in the game salary cap drama or not.

Pretty much whoever has Bellamy would be assured of a premiership at some stage during his tenure

Would love for our club to have him one day, but doubt he will coach anyone else

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Get over it.
No Marley, I will not.

Why? Because it's cheating and they are STILL reaping the benefits of it.

You might be fine with a team continuing to cheat, but I'm not.

Take away Slater, Smith and Cronk, and see how much success the club would have had.

I'll give you a hint... take a look at the sides success when Smith or Cronk in particular are injured.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No Marley, I will not.

Why? Because it's cheating and they are STILL reaping the benefits of it.

You might be fine with a team continuing to cheat, but I'm not.

Take away Slater, Smith and Cronk, and see how much success the club would have had.

I'll give you a hint... take a look at the sides success when Smith or Cronk in particular are injured.
Well you should. It wasn't as if they were going around buying everyones established superstars, they were getting young players in and developing them into stars.

They weren't stupid, they kept the core of the team and released others to get under the cap. That's all they had to do. They shouldn't have been forced to release there better players.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well you should. It wasn't as if they were going around buying everyones established superstars, they were getting young players in and developing them into stars.

They weren't stupid, they kept the core of the team and released others to get under the cap. That's all they had to do. They shouldn't have been forced to release there better players.
They should have been forced to release all players, offer them to other clubs, then resign players once other clubs had passed picking them up.

It was the only fair solution as by cheatnig other clubds where blocked out of the ability to sign such players.

Other teams (Parra) did it to a lesser degree, and that's why the NRL now brought in "rules" regarding not registering players till under the cap.

Shonky

Waterboy
Reaction score
They should have been forced to release all players, offer them to other clubs, then resign players once other clubs had passed picking them up.

It was the only fair solution as by cheatnig other clubds where blocked out of the ability to sign such players.

Other teams (Parra) did it to a lesser degree, and that's why the NRL now brought in "rules" regarding not registering players till under the cap.
Wake up mate. That's is bull shit and you know it. Melbourne Storm coped the brunt of the cap shit. And weren't even the worst of the cap drama. The Broncos are the biggest cheats of the NRL by far tell me how many teams have been in breach of the cap in the last 2 years Broncos, Dogs, Parramatta, Manly, Sharks, Raiders, Titans. This shit pissies me off all the other teams get shut all and sweet under the carpet. Your just a sook that can't handle getting owned get over it. An man up

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wake up mate. That's is bull shit and you know it. Melbourne Storm coped the brunt of the cap shit. And weren't even the worst of the cap drama. The Broncos are the biggest cheats of the NRL by far tell me how many teams have been in breach of the cap in the last 2 years Broncos, Dogs, Parramatta, Manly, Sharks, Raiders, Titans. This shit pissies me off all the other teams get shut all and sweet under the carpet. Your just a sook that can't handle getting owned get over it. An man up
No they didnt... Short term pain, long term gain.

They are an infinitely more successful club with Slater, Smith and Cronk playing for them. All players they obtained and retained whilst over the cap.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking brace yourself kas shit is going to get real for you under Craig but if you can last six months you wil be destroying opposition forward packs like never before

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so those who reckon Bellamy is a coaching genius.. that will be the litmus test right there.

We already know he failed with George Rose!

fr333k

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Okay so those who reckon Bellamy is a coaching genius.. that will be the litmus test right there.

We already know he failed with George Rose!
Thats incorrect. Storm didnt fail with George Rose, George Rose failed with the Storm

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Broncos are the biggest cheats of the NRL by far tell me how many teams have been in breach of the cap in the last 2 years Broncos, Dogs, Parramatta, Manly, Sharks, Raiders, Titans.
The Broncos didn't breach the salary cap in the last 2 years.

Last breach was in 2010, which was $17,000.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

This. Bellamy never raided other clubs established star players. He built his teams by developing young players .
How many premierships do you think we would have won in the last decade if Bellamy was our coach?
2, 3, 4 ?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to be amazed how clinical they were.
In 2017 they are still pretty much mistake free, its a credit to Bellamy.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cheat.

I'm probably harsh but I don't give a shit about what a cheat does. Not just this cheat but all of them. I used to be in awe of Gallen but now I think he's just a cheat. The guy who just beat Usain, who gives a shit he's a cheat. Lance knob head, cheat. So on and so on. Jon Jones best MMA fighter of all tume, just a cheat.Craig Bellamy yeah great good on him Yada Yada Yada CHEAT.

Last edited:

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His ability to keep cronk, smith and slater together is the predominant reason for their success. As long as they had a second rower who could run a good line which they've always had, their set plays have been extremely hard to stop because of those three. Bellamy's got to be given credit for creating an environment that they've all wanted to stay at for so long.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Exactly right, the kents cheated us out of the 09 GF.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dogs and storm worst cheats ever!

Clean skins like us eels just keep trying our best in a competition full of cheats, always behind the 8 ball because every other kent is cheating..

Status
Not open for further replies.