Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a surprise. Two goals conceded from set pieces. Think Wenger might by some defenders now? Sturridge and Cohen are probably the two shortest Bolton players yet they manage to both score headers. Pathetic performance in both attack and defence. Well be lucky to hold onto a champions league spot the way were going.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cahill scored the first header.

Wenger has this summer to sort it out or I'll celebrate seeing the back of him. He is tactically inept and too ****ing stubborn to notice the obvious problems with this team and the error of his ways.

I'm sick to death of him *****ing and moaning on the sideline and talking **** in the press treating us fans like bloody idiots, when a lot of us can see the problems that he keeps trying to gloss over.

We'll never win another trophy under him and his current ways.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is heart breaking. No farking defense. Djourou. WTF?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
2-0 against tottenham and we lose 3-2
4-0 against newcastle and we draw 4-4

Just from those two games we should have acquired an additional 5 points. That's without including games against the likes of West Brom at home where we 'gifted' them 3 goals thanks to Almunia's great confidence at the back.

It has to be the mental aspect. We simply don't have that winning mentality. Wenger has been saying the squad has the 'belief' and 'character' to win the league all year but once we concede a goal, regardless of the score, we tend to start panicking and more times than not concede again.
as has proven the whole season and this mornings game... you dont have a leader like a steven gerrard or a roy keane that can drive your whole team forward. maybe jack wilshire can be that of those 2 but he is still young and still developing.

But also i think you need a minimum of 6 new players for next season if you guys want to last the distance in all competitions.

Your team needs a new GK, 2 new CBs, a DM, and 2 new strikers.

Wenger cant keep relying on his youngsters to step up because again, you dont have leaders in your team that can also guide them on and off the field.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL Ozman, 6 new players minimum. Get out of here.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is heart breaking. No farking defense. Djourou. WTF?
The heartless ******s in our team already broke me when they capitulated in the North London Derby at the Grove. And then they did it again.

Wenger can't instill a want to win, and that's why he has one last chance, because his reputation is nearly in tatters as a result of being a naive and stubborn old man.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
LOL Ozman, 6 new players minimum. Get out of here.
whats wrong with that?

The heartless ******s in our team already broke me when they capitulated in the North London Derby at the Grove. And then they did it again.

Wenger can't instill a want to win, and that's why he has one last chance, because his reputation is nearly in tatters as a result of being a naive and stubborn old man.
reminds me of the certain steven folkes in his last years at the dogs

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
DEFIANT Arsene Wenger has told Cesc Fabregas and the critics: I will not change my philosophy.

And the under-fire Arsenal boss has warned any want-away players he will not let them abandon the club in search of silverware.

He has also told them they must take their share of responsibility if the Emirates trophy cabinet ends up empty for the sixth season in a row.

"We will continue to have absolute commitment to youth," said Wenger, after Fabregas was quoted saying Arsenal faced a choice between developing young players and winning.

So why should stars like Fabregas and Robin van Persie, and players like Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy, whose deals run out next year, stick around?

"To win trophies," said Wenger. "Why not?"

Because they have won nothing for almost six seasons.

"They have the opportunity here to do it in their own way, with their own philosophy, with their own togetherness," said Wenger.

"When you sign a contract for four or five years, you are committed through your contract to win trophies with the club where you sign. It is in no contract that if you do not win a trophy the first year, you can leave.

"Nobody asks them to wait. We can win straight away. You speak like the players are not responsible for winning trophies. They are also responsible, like I am, and the fans are.

"Why do you think we pay the players? A club, a football team, is a togetherness between the manager, the players, the club, the philosophy. It's a very different thing to say, 'If you do not win, I go'.

"Why should we sell Cesc? We have built the team around Cesc and we have now Jack Wilshere as well. We want to keep doing that.

"We are talking to Nasri and his agent already. We have the same situation with Clichy and we agreed to speak about it during the summer. I am very optimistic."

But do Fabregas and the others still believe in Wenger's philosophy?

"Of course, they do," he said.

Others are not so confident. And Fabregas's controversial interview with a Spanish magazine is not the only sign of further cracks at the Emirates in a week when Wenger's team twice blew the chance to close the gap on Premier League leaders Manchester United.

On the club's own website, Van Persie described Arsenal's habit of making crucial errors as "almost criminal".

Wenger said: "I can accept that he feels like that, of course. But it is not criminal - it is football.

"I use that word sometimes as well. It's how we feel. It's because he is committed to the club and to the team.

"And it is true it is difficult to comprehend. It's a little bit to do with desire to do well. What happened to us in the Carling Cup Final was not about quality. It was just nerves. That happened again against Tottenham. It happened again against Liverpool."

Hardly the stuff of a side with great mental strength, which is what Wenger claimed after the thrilling 3-3 draw against Spurs.

"It is down to belief," added Wenger. "Belief is the mother of the feelings. And the feeling is the direct consequence of the motivation you put into your next game.

"If your belief is very low, your feeling is very low.

"What we can get from our performances is the belief that we have the quality. We are in a very interesting situation where we are fighting for the championship.

"And I am sitting always in a position where you force me to explain why we fail. For me it's not a comfortable situation because we are fighting in a period when the most important thing is to have the belief in what we do."

It remains to be seen just how firmly the players back Wenger's methods.

But many Arsenal fans are losing the faith. Supporters' groups are furious at the prospect of a 6.5 per cent rise in ticket prices when there is £35m - equivalent to the proceeds of selling Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor - sitting unspent in the club's transfer account.

One fan who is refusing to renew his expensive Club Level seats said: "I will start spending more money when the club do."

Many feel Wenger's unflinching confidence that his team have what it takes to be winners flies in the face of the evidence.

But the Frenchman is urging the supporters and his critics to wait and see whether Arsenal can snatch the title away from Manchester United by winning their next five games - starting today at Bolton.

Wenger added: "There are two trophies in the season, the championship and the Champions League, and they go only to two clubs." said Wenger.

"You ask, 'Why have you failed to win?' Let's first play for it and have a go.

"It is for me as important to give absolutely everything until the last game of the season.

"And then, what I have said many times, if there has been somebody better, we will have to accept it.

"But at the moment I don't accept that there is somebody better."

Read more:

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
whats wrong with that?
It's a stupid amount and not correct at all. We don't need a new goalkeeper, Chesney has proven his ability. We only need one new centre half (a dominant leader). We only need one striker (a proven goal scorer) and we only need one, maybe two, more midfield players.

All of those need to form a strong backbone and culture, from there it is much easier to interchange players in and out of the squad and they will perform better with that backbone

There is a lot of quality lower down in Arsenal's squad, they just need to work on the backbone of the side.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
It's a stupid amount and not correct at all. We don't need a new goalkeeper, Chesney has proven his ability. We only need one new centre half (a dominant leader). We only need one striker (a proven goal scorer) and we only need one, maybe two, more midfield players.
Chesny is still young and looks the good but still prone to making errors

Only 1? so are you Arsenal fans happy with one of those 2 clowns as your CBs?

As for strikers, Van Persie is just plain injury prone, Chamakh has proven himself he is useless at Premiership level, Bendtner is just a big for nothing striker...

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought chesny saved le arses arse a few times imo, no need to buy another GK

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Chesny is still young and looks the good but still prone to making errors

Only 1? so are you Arsenal fans happy with one of those 2 clowns as your CBs?

As for strikers, Van Persie is just plain injury prone, Chamakh has proven himself he is useless at Premiership level, Bendtner is just a big for nothing striker...
You obviously don't watch Arsenal enough, or you just have no idea. Vermaelen will be back next season, with a commanding centre back next to him (as I suggested), there is part of the strong backbone to the squad.

Again, if you watched Arsenal play enough, you would have realised Djourou has had a fantastic season (he has just returned from a shoulder injury which should have ended his season), and Koscielny has looked very good, considering this is his first season at the club and it is usually a good idea to give a player longer than a season to acclimatise to the game in another country/league. Maybe you should rethink your use of the word clowns as it is clear your knowledge is lacking here.

The other needed improvement is getting the team to defend as a team. Individually, our back four are all good players.

Vermaelen, new dominant CB, Djourou, Koscielny, Bartley, Squillaci. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Bendtner is played wrongly, he has had very minimal time in the centre.

Secondly, you obviously (AGAIN) didn't watch Arsenal enough to make a judgement on Chamakh. He proved a very capable player when he was regularly playing at the beginning of the season, and that was without us playing to his strengths (aerial). Add another proven, goalscoring striker into the mix and there is less pressure on the current crop to perform and play a massive amount of games.

Please, Ozman, don't come here and try to make points that you can't even back up.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wenger has to go. His philosophy is an absolute failure. Yes he has developed some young players. But clearly to go to the next level he needs to but quality players as mentioned by Gladiator. If he doesn't open up the cheque book, then he should go now.

As for Fabregas, clearly wants out. We should take the money on offer. But he is head and shoulders above everyone else in the team.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing is, we are not even that far away, but Wenger is too stubborn and tactically inept to take us to the next level.

Implement a solid backbone and vary the tactical approach and it will do wonders for this team. Get in a good defensive coach who can get these players defending as a team.

With a few good signings, against small teams we can play this:

Chesney

Sagna---Cahill/other top defender---Vermaelen---Clichy

Fabregas--Wilshere

Nasri

Walcott--Van Persie--Arshavin​

or vary it and move Fabregas forward, Nasri into Arshavin's spot and Song in next to Wilshere.

Against bigger teams play:

Chesney

New wide player--Song--Fabregas--Nasri

Van Persie--New striker/Walcott/Chamakh​

Or even:

Chesney

New wide player--Song--Wilshere--Nasri

Fabregas

Van Persie​

4-4-2 is not a dead formation.

We also need to be more direct, less of the pass pass pass pass pass. the 2007-2008 team (our last proper league challenging side) was much more direct.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a mental thing

Everything went downhill after the Carling Cup final. Players lost confidence, and Wenger wasn't strong enough to instill that drive back into the players.