The full extent and repercussions of Canterbury’s salary cap hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that we are screwed beyond repair.

The shining light is Pay and McDonnell. While the low intelligence fan base all think Pay is a terrible coach it’s actually the opposite. He is doing a great job. We have easily the worst team in the comp yet we are in positions to win most games. The players want to be there for Dean.

IMO we should just accept the position we are in and rebuild like the Knights have. Gut the place. Offload Tolman, Eastwood Morris Morris even Foran Hopoate and Woods if we can.

The only real players that Should be kept are Mybe Jackson RFM Klemmer and just build young stars around that. By the time we can buy the best talent the young guys will have improved leaps and bounds.
100%!

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yet our club bends over and pays that scumbag des 2m!

What a disgraceful act by our so called "people with power" get fkd.
They had no other way out. If anything I think they did the right thing. It was Dib that put us in this position by announcing the deal with des before he even signed. Dumb move that considering he later decided to not sign him to save his back side.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t agree , again I’ll say it slowly clubs only have to be compliant for the following season by a certain date . We are responsible for this not the NRL , fat Dib tried holding a gun to the NRLs head last year and when the other clubs caught on to what the dumb prick had done to our cap the abandoned him and made him look like that fat useless retard he is.
Where there is smoke there is fire. The more of these stories come out the more I think club is leaking the info out to remove pressure on pay and soften the blow once they start offloading morris boys and co.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike others, I wish Des coaches again in the NRL. Hope he goes to Parramatta,Brisbane or Roosters...
Id really like to see him at the roosters. I think Des will be a good fit for them.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Where there is smoke there is fire. The more of these stories come out the more I think club is leaking the info out to remove pressure on pay and soften the blow once they start offloading morris boys and co.
Yeah mate , they are trying to play a delicate game I think . Lowering our expectations without committing commercial suicide

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not fair on some on the players to say how are they on $800k or $650k or whatever because of the nature of backended deals its false economics as they have taken less in previous years and its the way the club has choose to split it ,the fact is coaches should not be allowed to be in control of how contracts are broken up ,like in nfl we need one person responsible for this and most smart clubs have computer programmes for this 2-4 years ahead .Clearly dessies trust calculator didnt work too well

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club needs to make a statement about all this. Its obvious we are stuffed. They need to:

1. Admitt we are stuffed for three years
2. Promise the fans that deals will not be backended EVER again
3. Promise junior development and opportunities over the next three years.
4. Ask for support until 2021 after the rough period is over

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not fear at all it’s our reality , Des and Dib played a game with contracts that came back to bite them and us . They rely on having to offload players mid contract or with a year to go such as Kasiano , Graham , Abbey etc in order to balance the books . They only have to provide the NRL with a compliant salary cap at a predetermined date not 2 years in advance . Remember last year the NRL wouldn’t register woods or Foran ??? Why ?? Because our cap was smashed ! Forget what you hear from the media or the club get out and speak to player managers , they are the ones with the good oil and our situation is very dire . Dib and Des deserve to be given the Game if thrones treatment ... strip them naked and hurl shit at them for what they’ve done and when a few of you stop living in cloud delusion that it’s a media beat up the better you will be .
Ok if we could do back ended deals with Foran and woods while we were already offloading players due to our cap issues then why can’t we repeat the same again? Just keep kicking the can a bit further every year. The beast keeps getting bigger but like USA printing money over the years and their financial debt increasing up to 17 trillion dollars which can not be paid ever cos there is not enough money in the world to pay that debt.
I still don’t believe we would be that much problem next year or two considering we still signed that Newcastle junior. If we had no money as the article suggests we would be putting a block on recruitment.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
So what was the alternative to a settlement. Drag it out for years and pay millions in legal fees. Because we had this imaginary "heads of agreement" Dib was talking about. We didn't have a leg to stand on otherwise there wouldn't have been a settlement.
So are you implying that there was no "heads of agreement" when it was clearly stated so?
Not that i have any cold hard facts but its been well documented .

Secondly, if the club wanted to prove themselves as being the so called "dogs of war" it starts at the top and it was their chance to stamp their authority.

Seriously fk des, he didn't deserve shit! Dib got the punt as everyone wanted without a payout why the fk does this fraud get it with the state he left, not just the team but the club.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I can’t believe anyone is trying to blame the NRL! This mess is all on previous administration and coaches gambling on backended deals.
I'm not blaming the NRL. I'm saying the reports may be wrong as I doubt the nrl would register 5 contracts without alarm bells going off.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that we are screwed beyond repair.

The shining light is Pay and McDonnell. While the low intelligence fan base all think Pay is a terrible coach it’s actually the opposite. He is doing a great job. We have easily the worst team in the comp yet we are in positions to win most games. The players want to be there for Dean.

IMO we should just accept the position we are in and rebuild like the Knights have. Gut the place. Offload Tolman, Eastwood Morris Morris even Foran Hopoate and Woods if we can.

The only real players that Should be kept are Mybe Jackson RFM Klemmer and just build young stars around that. By the time we can buy the best talent the young guys will have improved leaps and bounds.
Agree with the retention of JJ & RFM, Strictly number crunching and working on a 3yr plan , Mbye will be on $900k + from 2019, he’s not value for that level of money

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
They had no other way out. If anything I think they did the right thing. It was Dib that put us in this position by announcing the deal with des before he even signed. Dumb move that considering he later decided to not sign him to save his back side.
Mate, he got the punt at the end of the day.

Refer to my last post.

Our club will never be the same, weak move imo.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
FUCk me, when a club like parra who were in shambles and had massive cap issues could come out of it so quickly , we can not possibly be in any worst position.

We might as well cheat the cap if we are to win wooden spoon next couple of years. We should cheat and cheat big time. What worst can nrl do to us? Give us a spoon? We are fucken already getting one if not two for next couple of seasons.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck im sick of hearing these fucking stories. Serioysly, the cloub needs to come out and tell us all exactly what the fucks going on. Until they do it will just be a media shit storm do they can sell papers.
But since they are not stating anything public, the suggestion that they are leaking this shit does hold some weight.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guna hurt
Fuck offer tolman to any ****, even woods
Try and move Foran on.....
we're fucked, no one wants them...
And that my friend is the bigger issue.

Not only is every **** backeneded, they are all on overs anyway so even if we do a cull, we wouldn’t be in a better situation because we will still be paying too much of the culled players salaries to allow us to sign anyone decent.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with the retention of JJ & RFM, Strictly number crunching and working on a 3yr plan , Mbye will be on $900k + from 2019, he’s not value for that level of money
Mbye is worth 450k. Good kick returns, everything else is shit.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate, he got the punt at the end of the day.

Refer to my last post.

Our club will never be the same, weak move imo.
Let's agree to disagree... in my opinion if you shake on it you should honour it... let's face it Dib only pulled out to get reelected... not Desmond's fault we had dumb leaders deciding to boast about it prior to it getting finalised...
Current board should not stand by dirty deals...

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from not resigning Morris boys and Eastwood, We need to look to offload Tolman Hopoate Lichaa Montoya to the ESL as a starting point
Woods comes over to play finals.... lol

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Let's agree to disagree... in my opinion if you shake on it you should honour it... let's face it Dib only pulled out to get reelected... not Desmond's fault we had dumb leaders deciding to boast about it prior to it getting finalised...
Current board should not stand by dirty deals...
Done.
I can certainly agree on the hand shake part but everyone is accountable and des is no different, he played his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.