News The Dogs might thank us’: Cleary says young star will be better off staying at Penrith

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs might thank us’: Cleary says young star will be better off staying at Penrith
Matt Burton of the Panthers is on his way to Belmore.
Matt Burton of the Panthers is on his way to Belmore.
Penrith coach Ivan Cleary says Canterbury “might thank us” for refusing to release young playmaker Matt Burton from his contract early.
Burton, 21, has signed a deal with the Bulldogs from 2022 but remains contracted to the Panthers for the remainder of this season.
The Belmore club is desperately trying to convince Penrith hierarchy to let Burton leave and begin his life in the blue and white immediately.

He also said the Bulldogs might one day be grateful Burton was able to stay and be taught at the Panthers.
“I think to say we’re not thinking of the kid is wrong,” Cleary said.
“He would prefer to play first grade, of course he would. We feel like we look after our players and Matt is certainly one of those.
“He’s played a grand total of 11 reserve grade games, and maybe six or seven first grade games. That’s it.
“He’s just turned 21, he’s got the world at his feet.
“Who knows? The Dogs might actually thank us this time next year.”
Burton was again watching from the sidelines as Penrith scored a big 28-0 victory over the Bulldogs at Bankwest Stadium on Saturday.
If he had already been released, there’s a good chance he would have lined up for Canterbury during the game.
Cleary, though, says Burton has been professional and hasn’t let the attention distract him too much.
“There was a period in the pre-season where I thought he was a bit distracted. We spoke and I think since then I reckon he’s been really good,” Cleary said.

“He’s trained really well, he’s played well.
“I don’t know if he’s getting dialogue from Canterbury or what but all I can see if he’s happy, he’s training hard and he’s playing well.
“I don’t think he’s distracted.”
Cleary also used current Panthers five-eighth Jarome Luai as an example of why young halves should spend time sitting in reserve grade.
“(Luai has) worked really hard. He sat behind a few players, Jimmy Maloney for a couple of years,” Cleary said.
“He’s 24 now. I don’t want to go on about it, but sometimes it’s a good thing for a young half to bide his time in reserve grade and learn the tricks, work on his game.
“The way Jarome’s been developed by the Panthers, he is showing now his body is better, he’s more confident, and he’s stepping up to the plate in the NRL week after week.”
Burton is a chance of being called into the team for Round 3 if captain and halfback Nathan Cleary suffers concussion symptoms after a knock on Saturday.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hard to argue. He'll do bugger all behind our pack
This. I didn't mind the dogs pack but there's a few guys needing replaced and Hetherington has underperformed. You want developing halves playing in a good system. I do agree with people saying he'll benefit from playing first grade but you need at least 1 more forward and a hooker for your halves to get any real attacking ball.

Maybe things will change when Thompson is back he seems good but right now Burton can work on his game much better.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith have a grand total of 2 premierships in their entire history despite sitting on the league's biggest nursery... and Cleary has never won... who the f*+# are they to look down on anyone? arrogant little f*+#ers

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This. I didn't mind the dogs pack but there's a few guys needing replaced and Hetherington has underperformed. You want developing halves playing in a good system. I do agree with people saying he'll benefit from playing first grade but you need at least 1 more forward and a hooker for your halves to get any real attacking ball.

Maybe things will change when Thompson is back he seems good but right now Burton can work on his game much better.
I don't think Thompson moves the needle much - another undersize prop

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think Thompson moves the needle much - another undersize prop
That's a shame. Maybe the new rules will suit him. Someone mentioned a large number off contract this year I'd be buying forwards.

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
my theory is that we are just using tbaz as a recruitment coach then move him on

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not there yet. The recruitment team have a big job ahead of them getting some quality middles in.
I'm over him. Our attack is literally just Flanagan getting the ball and dumping in back inside to a forward? Like wtf have they been doing? Buys shit like Hetherington and Waddell when they're not better than what we already have. Our condition looks fucking rubbish? Is Ferris as shit as I thought he is?

What a fucking deflating start to the season. I'm in no rush to go out and watch this garbage live.