The Bulldogs 2024 style of play & Game plan ..

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know we’re weak up the middle .. if Gus doesn’t manage to pick up a prop or two come kick off …. what type of game plan are you expecting to see from the team this year ..

I’m hoping Jason Taylor can make a big statement for our attack, I hope he’s bought along a big book of set plays and some old school tricks of the trade that structured footy has taken out of the game.

Like him or not, Taylor was a very smart top half in his day and he’s had success at top level coaching for a lot of years …. I’m hoping he’s spending a lot of his time with our spine players, especially Burton Mahoney and Sexton and their kicking games.

I’m hoping to see Burton put the bomb away and use his big boot to accurately kick deep into the corners, use our speed men to get down there in numbers and keep ‘em down there ..

I’m hoping to see Burton, Mahoney and Sexton mix up their kicking game and always be thinking kicking to the corners, 40/20’s and repeat sets ..

Burton #6 … I’m hoping JT can teach him to be a better game manager, how to speed up and slow down the tempo of the game, how to tire the opposition while conserving our energy, smart football using his big boot to control metres and momentum, and of cause, use his running skills & set up Kik’s JAC and those around him, the bomb should only be used randomly and when we’re in front.

Sexton #7 … CC & JT should give him a licence to play eyes up footy … mix everything up and keep it random, run the ball, don’t run it this time and instead punch a kick through the line, another time put one over the top to our speed men, randomly put in a long one here and there, continually keep the opposition guessing.

Mahoney #9 … change it up and run the ball a bit more, continue to take the pressure off Burton by kicking to the corners and for 40/20’s, more trust in those around him in defence, it’s not his job to tackle every player for 80 minutes, also help to control the tempo.

Adding to that I’m hoping to see a FB and 13 that can chime in on the oppositions line and play ball like a half/be a big threat in attack.

Yes the middle is weak, but the team can compensate for that if they have a smart game plan, execute it well, and stick to it for 80 minutes.

If JT can bring with him a new exciting style of attack and CC can get them understanding and working together on his style of defensive structures, this team might just shock the hell out of a lot of people .. there’s no reason we can’t be scoring plenty of points through both long range try’s and plenty when on their line, but smart game management from our spine to compensate for weaknesses will be key to a successful 2024.

Last edited:

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The focus will be on line speed and gang tackles in D and end expansive ball play in attack. Make the most of a small and fast team. Personally I don’t think it will help much . Size does matter and we will get out muscled by most teams.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Need forwards or it’s, Chip kicks from inside our own 10m?

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Kikau can fire up our forwards… the backs should score the points with the talent we’ve got.

From Rd.1 to about Rd.5 in 2023, the Bulldogs did throw the ball around & it was pretty attractive footy before injuries hit. I see more the same style in 2024 under CC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with these comments, can’t be the dogs of war, so maybe it’s time to go back to being the entertainers for a while.

Hardest thing to defend against is a moving football, put it through the hands, shift their defence around and tire the bigger packs out.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm really interested in seeing our style of play, philosophy, use of the ball and the how the forward pack is asked to work. I'm against the grain, love a strong forward pack and wouldn't mind another big name prop but I believe our forwards can do the job needed, I don't think we're "weak up the middle" so long as the rotations work and squad is hungry and healthy, and we play to our strengths and weaknesses.

I'm a big fan of Isaah Yeo, Penrith style of play, etc. Watch the GF replay, their forward pack lacks Haas or AFB, Tino, the absolute star props, and does their job asked by the coach. The forward pack we have, props specifically, should encourage us to move away from a style of play, playing off a Yeo. We also don't have the James Grahams, Kasianos, ball playing props. But they can play their own style of footy that can work. It's up to the coaching to work out what works.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Rd 2 V Storm last year. That should be our gameplan. We played so well that night, then didn’t play like that for the rest of the season. That should be our style.
We lost our MVP from that game :sweat:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At our worst last year we thru it around before going forward and got dominated through the middle.

This year will be no different. We need to play straight and stop playing sideways. A simple game plan where everyone knows their individual role.

Play quick with quick play the balls in attack. Followed by eyes up direct footy.

Slow down the play the ball in Defence and have a good straight line with good line speed.

Pretty simple really. Just don’t know how effective that will be with no size in our pack.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I want a simple hard working game plan and some players given a licence to offload. It can be risky and lose possession but they've got preseason and should be familiar with each other by season start.

Before anything, defence needs to be on point, committed and supporting each other. The dreaded six agains, loose balls, will come against our team and the team just needs to accept it and make up for them as a unit.

I'd hate to seed any negative thoughts but I'm concerned about what the philosophy of forwards play is going to be, we just have to wait and see in time see what happens. It might be the same old. I'm worried playing too safe is going to statistically look good like the TBaz completion rates but I can't remember what happened that time, maybe it was other things resulting to bad results, attacking at the 20m, kicking game, no repeat sets, etc?

Case example, Max King. It's probably just from game maturity, who knows, but someone like Max King wasn't as effective last season probably partially because he wasn't offloading as much as when he first came on the scene. I see his offloads/ vision as a strength and for whatever reason he wasn't offloading anywhere near as much. Probably instructed or he just wanted to be more disciplined in his game, or defence read him better, etc. We wont get a clear answer unless he answers it.

A hard working forward pack with a few smart offloads each half will work wonders. Settlers not through the middle, unless they're quick scoots from dummy half. I'd want them like the Brian Smith Parra days, they usually ran their settlers around the tram lines .

Just a simple gameplan, doesn't need to be continual block plays like we're seeing most teams incorporate, Penrithesque nor ball playing props. It'll suit the modern game more than ever just as well as at times it historically did, now the referee would call the defence slowing the plays, wrestling. I've seen it many times, teams promoting the ball, or off a half break, against a slightly broken defence line, seem to gain more 6 agains then teams just playing one out settlers. Offloads could help gain more six agains plus it can help for rotations, squad players, interchanges, they can just do their job and just support teammates in attack and defence.

Whatever happens, the forwards have their roles and if the job's done, we can see the backs get involved for tries.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At our worst last year we thru it around before going forward and got dominated through the middle.

This year will be no different. We need to play straight and stop playing sideways. A simple game plan where everyone knows their individual role.

Play quick with quick play the balls in attack. Followed by eyes up direct footy.

Slow down the play the ball in Defence and have a good straight line with good line speed.

Pretty simple really. Just don’t know how effective that will be with no size in our pack.
It'll be effective. I really want less emphasis on wrestling the play the balls, A fit pack will have points scored against it no doubt but the main thing is we prevent momentum build ups, switch the momentum, prevent less turnovers and 6 agains. Smart players, experience, is going to help.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The focus will be on line speed and gang tackles in D and end expansive ball play in attack. Make the most of a small and fast team. Personally I don’t think it will help much . Size does matter and we will get out muscled by most teams.
I think you’re right, but if we can maintain the ruck speed, create 2nd phases and maintain discipline in defence for 80mins we will cause some upsets. We get unstuck when the ruck speed dies after 20mins and we start falling off tackles, the latter being the big issue when we face big aggressive teams… we’re in big trouble against teams like the Roosters who will have JWH, Collins, Wong, May and Spencer Leniu running through us like a hot knife through butter

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People say we lack size with our pack so I wanted to see how far we are off the average pack.

Panthers Leota 107kg/ 1.82m, Fisher-Harris 104 kg/1.87m and LIndsay Smith 106kg/1.94m.
Raiders Paps 110kg/1.83m, Tapine 106kg/1.89m and Guler 112kg/1.91m.
Cowboys Cotter 95kg/1.8 m. Coen Hess114 kg/1.9 m , Griffin Neame106 kg/1.93m.
Titans Fotuaika110 kg/1.85m, Tino 107kg/1.97 m, Iszac Fa'asuamaleaui 110 kg/1.91m.

Most of the other sides have only one bigh bopper and the rest are average

Broncos Payne Haas is big 117 kg/1.94m, Jensen 107kg/188cm and Baker 107kg/1.94m.
Roosters Hargreaves 116kg/1.92 m, Lindsay Collins 106kg/1.94 m, Spencer Leniu 110kg/1.83 m
Storm NAS 115kg/2m. Welch 110kg/1.95m ,Tui Kamikamica 110kg/1.95 m

There are a couple of teams with big all round packs like Knights, Tigers, Manly and Parra. But they are not dominating and depite big and all round good packs teams like Parra and Tigers didn't do well.

The Bulldogs props
Hughes 112kg/1.93m
Knight 106kg/1.94m
King 105 kg 1.88m
Mariner 110kg/1.90m
Patolo 110kg/1.85m
Kautoga 109kg/1.87m
Booth 127kgs/2m
Montgomery ? but I think he is around 110kg/1.87m

We also have a big bopper in the back row in Kikau 116kg/1.95m.

So as far as size goes we are not too far off. We need at least Hughes and Mariner and maybe for Montgomery to stand up or some new Klemmer type young gun mid in the lower grades to be unearthed. Hopefully Booth won't be too far away. But if Panthers can win the comp with such a light pack why can't we at least give it a shake.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we have a potent backline, are we going to just hands it out the back for the sake of it or actually play to a game plan and isolate players 1 on 1 and create opportunities.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People say we lack size with our pack so I wanted to see how far we are off the average pack.

Panthers Leota 107kg/ 1.82m, Fisher-Harris 104 kg/1.87m and LIndsay Smith 106kg/1.94m.
Titans Fotuaika110 kg/1.85m, Tino 107kg/1.97 m, Iszac Fa'asuamaleaui 110 kg/1.91m.

Broncos Payne Haas is big 117 kg/1.94m, Jensen 107kg/188cm and Baker 107kg/1.94m.
Roosters Hargreaves 116kg/1.92 m, Lindsay Collins 106kg/1.94 m, Spencer Leniu 110kg/1.83 m

There are a couple of teams with big all round packs like Knights, Tigers, Manly and Parra. But they are not dominating and depite big and all round good packs teams like Parra and Tigers didn't do well.

The Bulldogs props
Hughes 112kg/1.93m
Knight 106kg/1.94m
King 105 kg 1.88m
Mariner 110kg/1.90m
Patolo 110kg/1.85m
Kautoga 109kg/1.87m
Booth 127kgs/2m

So as far as size goes we are not too far off. We need at least Hughes and Mariner and maybe for Montgomery to stand up or some new Klemmer type young gun mid in the lower grades to be unearthed. Hopefully Booth won't be too far away. But if Panthers can win the comp with such a light pack why can't we at least give it a shake.
There is having size and using size. They are not the same thing.

On the whole our current big boys don’t run off the back fence ever. Combined with defending with feet planted allowing the attacker quick play the balls.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

The Bulldogs props
Hughes 112kg/1.93m
Knight 106kg/1.94m
King 105 kg 1.88m
Mariner 110kg/1.90m
Patolo 110kg/1.85m
Kautoga 109kg/1.87m
Booth 127kgs/2m

Totally agree re size of our forward pack. Last year fitness was one of our biggest issues. I expect that to be different this year.
When the storm in a teacup was happening last year with regards to our training being too hard a commentator said that it takes time for that greater level of fitness to reap rewards, that it takes longer than a year. Some of our recruitment backs this up also with these recruits being known for there training ethics.
So size alone will achieve nothing. How many state of origin forwards are considered light weight. It's the old saying about the size of the fight in the dog.
Look at Cameron Murray I don't know his weight but he would be considered light as a lock I would think. He has a huge impact on south's go forward and his play the ball speed allows those incisive dummy half runs that can lead to breaks or six again rulings that Hound dog alluded to.
I believe fitness is the key to our 'small' middle forwards having an impact this year. I expect CC to have the team playing to our strengths and agree that we will cause some upsets this year.
No ladder prediction to many variables for a team like ours.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The Bulldogs props
Hughes 112kg/1.93m
Knight 106kg/1.94m
King 105 kg 1.88m
Mariner 110kg/1.90m
Patolo 110kg/1.85m
Kautoga 109kg/1.87m
Booth 127kgs/2m

No disputing the data and methodology - but with all due respect, size is rendered useless without heart and aggression…. those players in the other teams are naturally aggressive savages on the field and enjoy the thought of trampling over people. We have zero middles with that mentality