Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Terrorist attack on Togo side puts 2010 FIFA World Cup under the microscope

By Martin Smith
foxsports.com.au
January 09, 2010

The fatal attack on the Togo national team in Angola has increased concerns the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa will be targeted by terrorists as violence continues to rage on the troubled continent.

Southern Africa Map

Southern Africa ... Cabinda is 2400km from Pretoria. Courtesy Google Maps

One man was killed and nine others, including two players, were injured when the bus carrying the Togo side en route to this month's African Cup of Nations was attacked by gunmen in the troubled Angolan province of Cabinda.

Fox Sports football expert Simon Hill said he was "absolutely shocked and stunned" by the attack and said FIFA are likely to act swiftly with the World Cup just six months away.

"I’m sure FIFA will be concerned," he said.

"I'm sure they will be involved in talks with the authorities in South Africa to say 'look, this has to be right - in six months time the world is coming to your doorstep.' I think the security procedures will be ramped up even further.

“"It is wonderfully disorganised, but that is the danger. It is chaotic at times."” –Simon Hill Describes the unpredictable nature of football in Africa.

"If there is a small sliver of hope out of all of this, (it) is the security, which I think was going to be stringent enough in South Africa, will be ramped up even to another level."

Hill says while the frenzied nature of football in Africa would make the World Cup a wonderful experience for fans, it could also be its downfall.

"It is wonderfully disorganised, but that is the danger," he said.

"It is chaotic at times and the thing that struck me about all of this is that the organisers of the tournament had no idea that the Togolese team were travelling over land.

"They presumed that they were going to be flying into Luanda, the Angolan capital and then travelling by road."

Despite tournament organisers saying the African Cup of Nations will still go ahead, Hill said the attacks should be a warning to the authorities.

"Questions now have got to be asked about whether the tournament itself should go ahead and certainly whether they should be playing games in this province of Cabinda."

The Togo side, including captain and Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor, have expressed their desire to withdraw from the tournament as the reality of the attack sinks in.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty ****ed up, they should call it off imo

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well unless they can move the World Cup under such short notice somewhere else, I don't know what they can do but no way can you have something as big as the soccer world cup in a country where anyone can come armed and harm these top class athletes plus the civillians of the country.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Second time this has happened sigh.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Btw different country, same continent

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
The Togo side, including captain and Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor, have expressed their desire to withdraw from the tournament as the reality of the attack sinks in.
anyone saw him crying his eyes out?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
he said it was the worst experience in his life and being shot at and seeing the bus driver killed i wouldn't blame him

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
what did Togo do? seems like an odd country to be terrorist attacked.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
they've also pulled out of the tournement

nasals

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Feel sorry for all those players and obviously the families of those that were killed. Very sad !!

Status
Not open for further replies.