TBf it was the refs fault last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We haven't played as well as I'd have liked all season. But we do cop poor calls every time we get a roll on. It's been giving me the shits all season. Maybe part of the reason is due to the fact that for most of his coaching career Hasler has called them out on mistakes. It gives me the shits that they're beyond reprimand now. The NRL can shut clubs up by offering fines, but the better solution would be to actually fix the standard of refereeing.

I've been beating on the drum about the influence of gambling and how I think its shown directly by the fact that they'll penalise teams out of games regularly. At the end of the day fans will desert the game if they don't fix the refereeing issues.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The NRL's administration has been a cesspool or corruption for a very long time, I can't seem to bring myself to care much at the moment because I think we are hopeless and self defeating and eoujdnt be winning games even if we were getting most 50/50 calls. But you're not wrong that the game is steeped in corruption and people in high places have it in for our club.

We were awful on Thursday night....but we copped some shitty calls too. No doubt.

FattyMcLarge

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ah I love the loyalty of this positive thinking post. I wish I had this blindsided thought pattern again.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, nah. Sure the refs leaned toward the Broncos, but we gifted them the opportunities by holding down in tackles, raking the ball, and shouldering attackers out of the way. Add to that, inability to hold the ball on our line, and the successive sets of six can all be shielded home to the Dogs own fault.

Broncos at home are a protected species. Any team playing them there knows that. The NRL falls over backwards to make life easy for Qld teams; but a good side can overcome all that. We were the reason we lost.
"we gifted them the opportunities by shouldering attackers out of the way" That's legal by the way! So there should NOT have been a penalty there.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Newcastle Knights have coped more bed refereeing this year than any other team

It is just the way it is , you make your own bed.

Plus broncos never get non favorable decisions from the refs....like ever.
So do they make their own bed too?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So do they make their own bed too?
If you are meaning do the Broncos make their own bed, they're an NRL owned club. They play shit and merchandise and memberships don't make them as much money. Probably explains why they are selling the knights.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We haven't played as well as I'd have liked all season. But we do cop poor calls every time we get a roll on. It's been giving me the shits all season. Maybe part of the reason is due to the fact that for most of his coaching career Hasler has called them out on mistakes. It gives me the shits that they're beyond reprimand now. The NRL can shut clubs up by offering fines, but the better solution would be to actually fix the standard of refereeing.

I've been beating on the drum about the influence of gambling and how I think its shown directly by the fact that they'll penalise teams out of games regularly. At the end of the day fans will desert the game if they don't fix the refereeing issues.
Mate really liked your post!!!
The standard of refereeing in the NRL is a disgrace.
It is a serious blight on the game.
Not just Bulldogs games (although we cop some shit from them) but all games.
It was good to see Ricky Stuart blowing up last night. Even though you should have been playing with 12 men Ricky?

Last edited:
Reactions: DT

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If you are meaning do the Broncos make their own bed, they're an NRL owned club. They play shit and merchandise and memberships don't make them as much money. Probably explains why they are selling the knights.
Broncos have never been owned by the NRL. They may have had News ltd as a small shareholder once upon a time but they have been a private company all the way through. Yes they took over the knights to prevent them from going under and the TV rights deal collapsing, but they have just about sold them now. I'm really not sure what you are on about.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Your right about holding down in tackles. They've done it alot this year and it looks like they're deliberately teying to give away penalties half the time.

Refs killed our momentum and gifted them the last 2 tries that absolutely destroyed our confidence and any momentum we had.
The boys were never coming back from that knowing they had to beat the refs as well in the second half.

I recall a few weeks ago, Montoya I think it was, was binned for running a player off the ball. As The General was reviewing it from the bunker, he also said you can make shoulder to shoulder contact buy not use your arm. I'm pretty sure when Reynolds was penalised it was just his shoulder that made contact. That was a really soft penalty.

Regarding raking the ball, I only remember Montoya getting pinned for that, and that was after Moga lost the ball and Marcello was making a tackle. That was clearly a knock on and not even close to a rake.

I understand we've been disgusting this year, but last night only 1 team was refereed. We could have played like world champions and it wouldn't have made a difference.
Against the Bulldogs, the referee is usually the 14th man for our opposition.

jimmyjames

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Against the Bulldogs, the referee is usually the 14th man for our opposition.
We've been in football jail since black friday and somethings gotta give before we're let out. You see the body language from them week in week out. They dismiss Graham and Tolman every time they approach and when Reynolds goes near the play they're looking for a reason to penalise him, and usually find one. Des' smug digs at Archer and co in the press conferences don't put any pressure on them because he's lost the fanbase and people are happier blaming him than the officials.

The penalties and repeat sets crippled our already limited attacking game last week. Des and the players own a healthy share of the problem but until the refs see us in a different light we're not going near a premiership. Des and Reynolds out, a tough fair rep captain in Jackson then we're back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.