TBf it was the refs fault last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That weasel destroyed us last night because our boys were looking awesome in attack.

The errors were forced upon us by the repetition of 6 again, wearing our defence down. It was a vicious and ugly cycle.

The NRL need to investigate this bullshit.

I'm ready to start picketing

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That weasel destroyed us last night because our boys were looking awesome in attack.

The errors were forced upon us by the repetition of 6 again, wearing our defence down. It was a vicious and ugly circle.

Yeah, nah. Sure the refs leaned toward the Broncos, but we gifted them the opportunities by holding down in tackles, raking the ball, and shouldering attackers out of the way. Add to that, inability to hold the ball on our line, and the successive sets of six can all be shielded home to the Dogs own fault.

Broncos at home are a protected species. Any team playing them there knows that. The NRL falls over backwards to make life easy for Qld teams; but a good side can overcome all that. We were the reason we lost.

Reactions: DT

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, nah. Sure the refs leaned toward the Broncos, but we gifted them the opportunities by holding down in tackles, raking the ball, and shouldering attackers out of the way. Add to that, inability to hold the ball on our line, and the successive sets of six can all be shielded home to the Dogs own fault.

Broncos at home are a protected species. Any team playing them there knows that. The NRL falls over backwards to make life easy for Qld teams; but a good side can overcome all that. We were the reason we lost.
OK yes but I never said we were the best team
When you're investigating a situation all the facts need to be laid out

The refs made some wrong calls at crucial times.

A cycle of 6 again over a period of time will cause the defensive team to weaken and make errors . It's not humanly possible to sustain that level of defence over an attacking team

What I'm saying is when a bad call is made particularly at the try line it needs to be retracted. But the NRL won't do it because then they can't cheat.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had all the ball and running for 25 minutes and came up with 1 try
That's why we fucking lost

With that much ball and opportunity we should have put on 3 tries instead we only put on one and then fucked up the following sets
Same thing against sharks and parra

We should be putting teams away instead we are getting bent over

It all comes back to shit attack

Broncos had a few sets on our line and either they forced an error, scored a try or got a repeat set and kept us down there

It's our own fucking fault

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

The errors were forced upon us by the repetition of 6 again, wearing our defence down. It was a vicious and ugly cycle.

Do you realise the score was 42-12. No amount of penalties can cause that sort of scoreline.

Face facts, we scored one try in the first half after having a fair whack of ball. They came down our end and scored at will. We're a rabble.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK yes but I never said we were the best team
When you're investigating a situation all the facts need to be laid out

The refs made some wrong calls at crucial times.

A cycle of 6 again over a period of time will cause the defensive team to weaken and make errors . It's not humanly possible to sustain that level of defence over an attacking team

What I'm saying is when a bad call is made particularly at the try line it needs to be retracted. But the NRL won't do it because then they can't cheat.
Of course no team can go without the ball for 13 minutes and hold out a sustained and relentless attack for that period without bleeding points. We've been in that situation too many times for it to be just the refs. Yes, the refs made some odd calls against us, and forgave the Broncos their sins; but they did send a couple of Bronco tries to the video ref, which were ruled No Try, when I fully expected them to award without a second thought.

The pattern of penalties is becoming obvious:
1. Refs are on the alert to watch for us stripping the ball - hence every dropped ball is a penalty against us.
2. Our attitude toward referees has lost their tolerance for our hold downs and hands on the ball, unlike Storm who are nice to the refs.
3. Players like Reynolds, that are consistently offending, are automatically assumed guilty in an off ball incident.
4. Exhaustion from defending consecutive sets of six makes it harder for us to mark square or get out of the play the ball area.
5. Frustration from exhaustion and lack of ball makes us do stupid things that a team on top of their game wouldn't do.

This is the recipe for every Dogs game. And the cake rises the same way every time.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Your right about holding down in tackles. They've done it alot this year and it looks like they're deliberately teying to give away penalties half the time.

Refs killed our momentum and gifted them the last 2 tries that absolutely destroyed our confidence and any momentum we had.
The boys were never coming back from that knowing they had to beat the refs as well in the second half.

I recall a few weeks ago, Montoya I think it was, was binned for running a player off the ball. As The General was reviewing it from the bunker, he also said you can make shoulder to shoulder contact buy not use your arm. I'm pretty sure when Reynolds was penalised it was just his shoulder that made contact. That was a really soft penalty.

Regarding raking the ball, I only remember Montoya getting pinned for that, and that was after Moga lost the ball and Marcello was making a tackle. That was clearly a knock on and not even close to a rake.

I understand we've been disgusting this year, but last night only 1 team was refereed. We could have played like world champions and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your right about holding down in tackles. They've done it alot this year and it looks like they're deliberately teying to give away penalties half the time.

Refs killed our momentum and gifted them the last 2 tries that absolutely destroyed our confidence and any momentum we had.
The boys were never coming back from that knowing they had to beat the refs as well in the second half.

I recall a few weeks ago, Montoya I think it was, was binned for running a player off the ball. As The General was reviewing it from the bunker, he also said you can make shoulder to shoulder contact buy not use your arm. I'm pretty sure when Reynolds was penalised it was just his shoulder that made contact. That was a really soft penalty.

Regarding raking the ball, I only remember Montoya getting pinned for that, and that was after Moga lost the ball and Marcello was making a tackle. That was clearly a knock on and not even close to a rake.

I understand we've been disgusting this year, but last night only 1 team was refereed. We could have played like world champions and it wouldn't have made a difference.
You only have to watch any other game this week and you will see players getting away with the same things we were penalised for. We are offside with referees, and have always been the guinea pigs for any tightening of rules or rule changes. Plus, referees know they will never leave Brisbane alive if they don't award every 50/50 Brisbane's way. That still doesn't absolve us leaking 42 points.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Please. Refs made, in my opinion, one wrong call last night.

We were fucking abysmal last night. Absolutely atrocious. Look at the Broncos game last week, and they will show you how champions play.

They were down at halftime to a team, who on paper, they should of put to the sword by the 20th minute. But no. Newcastle showed up, and surprised many to even be leading at any stage of the game let alone half time. Fairly similar to us. What happened?

Broncos score 2 quick tries (woah this founds familiar!) and had them on their back.

What do champions sides do? They relent. They fight back. They put in an effort. Last night, there was absolutely none of that, thanks party to the incoherent coaching skills of Des Hastogo. He is obsessed with his favourite players, thinking they are 80 minute champions. And how did they fare last night? How did Tolman and Jackson do? I can tell you the only thing I remember either of them for.. being split at marker by McCullough. Our two best defenders, ripped to shreds.

It was deadset over from there. Heads went down. Yeah we defended stoutly with what little ball we had. But we were fucking deadful.

And also - thank FUCK Reynolds is going. Love his passion. But passion doesn't win you games without skill.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That blatant half a metre forward pass at half time was a killer. We did actually look a lot better with the ball early in the game. Hoppa was actually getting in some 3 on 2 situations and there were a couple of good offloads here and there

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People on here complaining about the refs should wait till the Refs actually cost us a game.

There is no way the refs cost us the game last night. What cost us the game was the same thing that happens every week, our attack. We just cannot score points. We look far more dangerous 50 metres out than we do 10 metres out. Its like we have one shot to score and if that don't work lets give it to Tolman. And when your attack doesn't get you points then the pressure goes onto your defense. Last night our defense suffered because they came at us in waves and eventually the flood gates opened.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Please. Refs made, in my opinion, one wrong call last night.

We were fucking abysmal last night. Absolutely atrocious. Look at the Broncos game last week, and they will show you how champions play.

They were down at halftime to a team, who on paper, they should of put to the sword by the 20th minute. But no. Newcastle showed up, and surprised many to even be leading at any stage of the game let alone half time. Fairly similar to us. What happened?

Broncos score 2 quick tries (woah this founds familiar!) and had them on their back.

What do champions sides do? They relent. They fight back. They put in an effort. Last night, there was absolutely none of that, thanks party to the incoherent coaching skills of Des Hastogo. He is obsessed with his favourite players, thinking they are 80 minute champions. And how did they fare last night? How did Tolman and Jackson do? I can tell you the only thing I remember either of them for.. being split at marker by McCullough. Our two best defenders, ripped to shreds.

It was deadset over from there. Heads went down. Yeah we defended stoutly with what little ball we had. But we were fucking deadful.

And also - thank FUCK Reynolds is going. Love his passion. But passion doesn't win you games without skill.
OK then if we're so shit then explain why the broncos only scored 1 try after a 36 tackle set?
The broncos first try was opportunistic and lucky, the rest of the game they were piggybacked

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People on here complaining about the refs should wait till the Refs actually cost us a game.

There is no way the refs cost us the game last night. What cost us the game was the same thing that happens every week, our attack. We just cannot score points. We look far more dangerous 50 metres out than we do 10 metres out. Its like we have one shot to score and if that don't work lets give it to Tolman. And when your attack doesn't get you points then the pressure goes onto your defense. Last night our defense suffered because they came at us in waves and eventually the flood gates opened.
We had better attacking set plays than the broncos, their tries were opportunistic and gifted by that shitcunt ref

Reactions: DT

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
OK then if we're so shit then explain why the broncos only scored 1 try after a 36 tackle set?
The broncos first try was opportunistic and lucky, the rest of the game they were piggybacked
So you were happy with the performance last night?

The Broncos were toying with us. They were more interested in getting repeat sets than piling on the points. They even went for a penalty goal when 10 in front. All teams know that a penalty goal in each half is enough to beat us at the moment.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

If we were gifted the same situation and only scored one try you'd say we were shit in attack .

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We had better attacking set plays than the broncos, their tries were opportunistic and gifted by that shitcunt ref
What channel did you watch the game on? Disney? You watched a different game to me. We tried something new for the first 15 minutes and then went back to our shit gameplan of running one out with the occasional block play and making schoolboy handling errors. The longer the game went the worse we looked.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you were happy with the performance last night?

The Broncos were toying with us. They were more interested in getting repeat sets than piling on the points. They even went for a penalty goal when 10 in front. All teams know that a penalty goal in each half is enough to beat us at the moment.
Do you have any idea about this sport and the amount of energy thats expended as a defender over an attacker?
Once you've worn the defensive team down you're going to toy with them.
They knew the refs were on their side

Status
Not open for further replies.