Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tate set to return on wing
By Barry **** and Amy Harris
July 19, 2005

FORMER Test centre Brent Tate makes no secret of his dislike for playing out of position but he may be forced to return on the wing for the Broncos in Friday night's NRL blockbuster clash with the Bulldogs.

Tate has been restricted to 10 matches for Brisbane this year and has not played since round 14 on June 11.

However, he has overcome an ankle injury and is set to be included today in the squad for the Telstra Stadium showdown with the premiers.

Coach Wayne Bennett would not be drawn on his selection preference yesterday but it is highly unlikely he would want to split the centre combination of Justin Hodges and Shaun Berrigan to bring back Tate.

Hodges was a standout for the Broncos in their win over Melbourne last Sunday, adding to his impressive form of the past month, and Berrigan scored yet another try in a solid allround performance.

The Broncos-Bulldogs clash received a boost yesterday when props Shane Webcke (Brisbane) and Mark O'Meley (Canterbury) were cleared to play despite being charged by the NRL judiciary commissioner.

Webcke is likely to plead guilty to a grade-one dangerous throw but will avoid suspension because his demerit points will be only 93.

O'Meley was charged with a grade-one careless high tackle, carrying 75 demerit points.

A repentant Webcke yesterday said he would "have to cop" the citing for a lifting tackle on Melbourne's Jake Webster in the 66th minute of Sunday's 28-15 win.

Advertisement:
"I have to admit his legs got above the horizontal in the tackle, although that was never my intention," he said.
"It's up to the coach what I do about the charge but my inclination would be to enter an early plea."

Bennett, a loud opponent of the NRL's crackdown on lifting tackles, confirmed a guilty plea probably would be lodged. Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer said the club was confident Webcke would be cleared to play against the Bulldogs.

"It will be nice to have him for that game - he's an important player," Lockyer said.

"The Dogs have a lot of their guys back and this week will be a good test for us."

Webster last night expressed surprise that Webcke would escape suspension. He said he felt no resentment towards the former Test front-rower but was shocked that Webcke would be free to play on Friday night.

"It is one of those things that can happen in a game. I know Shane Webcke isn't a dirty player," he said.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
If he isn't named in the squad today he wil be named on friday just before the game!

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
LOL, what's the reporter's name? Barry ???? ?

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
... tate on the wing... I can deal with that. I'd prefer Hodges and Berro in the centres, they're going soooo well.... especially Hodges. Can't move him out of there. That way Tate can't be such a ball hog either....

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hodges has changed his tune this year, that's for sure. I thought it was impossible for him to be anything but a clown....he's proven alot of doubters wrong.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*Brent* said:
Hodges has changed his tune this year, that's for sure. I thought it was impossible for him to be anything but a clown....he's proven alot of doubters wrong.
Its cause he wasnt happy at the Roosters and vice versa.

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, as far as Brent tate is concerned......TARGET THE SHOULDER! :D

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
Nah he's wearing a special neck guard thing now, you can't hurt him ;) lol

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Broncos Girl said:
... tate on the wing... I can deal with that. I'd prefer Hodges and Berro in the centres, they're going soooo well.... especially Hodges. Can't move him out of there. That way Tate can't be such a ball hog either....
yer id have to agree with you, y break up a winning combo? Hopefully tate has a good return :grinning:

SBW

Kennel Established
Reaction score
haha that is better for the dogs tate in for bott, i thought they would have 4 sure droped minto instead, his not that good scott minto

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos Girl said:
Nah he's wearing a special neck guard thing now, you can't hurt him ;) lol
Poor guy. It's not doing him any favours in the looks department either. ;) The brace looks awkward and must be hard to run around in...what if he cops a spear takle wearing that thing?

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
... It'd protect him more.... well more so his neck.... his shoulder could still get damaged? Eek i'm not sure, it kinda goes around his neck and is connected to his shoulder, it reminds me or a turtle or something... its just foam tho, so maybe it wouldn't do much? I mean in the terms of a spear tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.