Sydney House Prices - Seriously Though WTF

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with the last point but now the difference from what our parents experienced to what young people do now is so different. So paying $70,000 was massive in the 60’s but doable if you had a decent job and saved now paying $2.3 million is only for some people.
I still think it’s all relative. Wanting something for 2.3 million straight up is my whole point though. I can understand kids may want to live where they grow up or somewhere really desirable but without help you need to start at the bottom to get where you want and I don’t think a lot of people are prepared to do that

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still think it’s all relative. Wanting something for 2.3 million straight up is my whole point though. I can understand kids may want to live where they grow up or somewhere really desirable but without help you need to start at the bottom to get where you want and I don’t think a lot of people are prepared to do that
The problem is that even 2-3 bedroom houses that need work on small blocks in the Central Coast, South Coast or Blue Mountains cost between 600k-800k now. And many of those aren't even in the nicer areas in those regions.

We've been looking at buying in the Central Coast as my missus' whole family live there and places her brothers bought for 300-400k five years ago are now worth more than double. And their houses aren't even nice or huge or anywhere near the beach..

So even when you're willing to move out of Sydney and make a sacrifice, it's still massively overpriced and inflated.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
100%. A house in Sydney is only attainable by double income no kid households. With both incomes being above average. You need over 300k combined annual income if you want anything.
No it’s not. I know plenty of people who have done it on their own as well as couples on low wages and without any fantastic incomes

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The problem is that even 2-3 bedroom houses that need work on small blocks in the Central Coast, South Coast or Blue Mountains cost between 600k-800k now. And many of those aren't even in the nicer areas in those regions.

We've been looking at buying in the Central Coast as my missus' whole family live there and places her brothers bought for 300-400k five years ago are now worth more than double. And their houses aren't even nice or huge or anywhere near the beach..

So even when you're willing to move out of Sydney and make a sacrifice, it's still massively overpriced and inflated.
I agree with that and the cycle is at a peak. Our average salaries are high though too. People also being able to work from home has inflated regional demand and associated prices as well.

I’d also send a PM to @doggieaaron if you haven’t already

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with that and the cycle is at a peak. Our average salaries are high though too. People also being able to work from home has inflated regional demand and associated prices as well.

I’d also send a PM to @doggieaaron if you haven’t already
Yeah so many people moving from Sydney to there or people buying holiday homes/properties to air bnb there have inflated prices..

Wages haven't increased nearly enough relative to the cost of living though. It's more disproportionate than ever. My grandparents bought 5 properties and my Grandmother worked as a cleaner at a hospital while my Grandfather worked at BHP for not great money. They just saved like crazy and you could afford to buy a home with a few years of savings. Now that's nearly impossible and would take 20 years of savings on wages like theirs or a huge mortgage that could cripple you unless you earn 150-200k plus...

Send a PM for what reason? Has he got a time-share I can invest in or something? Haha.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Beware guys I fixed my home loan Tuesday at 1.99% with ANZ (1 year but with an offset my mortgage is pretty small so that's all I need) today I went back online and that same product is now 2.29% all there fixed rates have gone up which means banks are expecting Variable rates to go up sooner rather than later!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah so many people moving from Sydney to there or people buying holiday homes/properties to air bnb there have inflated prices..

Wages haven't increased nearly enough relative to the cost of living though. It's more disproportionate than ever. My grandparents bought 5 properties and my Grandmother worked as a cleaner at a hospital while my Grandfather worked at BHP for not great money. They just saved like crazy and you could afford to buy a home with a few years of savings. Now that's nearly impossible and would take 20 years of savings on wages like theirs or a huge mortgage that could cripple you unless you earn 150-200k plus...

Send a PM for what reason? Has he got a time-share I can invest in or something? Haha.
Because he's this dude

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not just Sydney, whole country’s gone thru the roof
My house I bought 4 years ago regional nsw is now worth nearly double…….
I feel sorry for people trying to get there foot in the housing market now

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No it’s not. I know plenty of people who have done it on their own as well as couples on low wages and without any fantastic incomes
I’m talking about houses (not apartments, townhouses, duplexes). And in the last 6 months try and go buy a duplex in the shire, 1.8m+ all of them. And all you get is 5 pokey “bedrooms” on 250sqm.

if you want to borrow 1.8m you need roughly over 300k combined salary.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Its alright you can come have a beer in tha woy with me

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.realestate.com.au/property//47-okeefe-cres-eastwood-nsw-2122

in 8 months, the house price rose from $1,670,000 to $2,900,000... FOR A FIBRO HOUSE

the property market has gone insane
Values in the land for that one. Duplexes going up at 3M each.

some of my family friends bought a 3br duplex in Caringbah for over 2.5m… Caringbah…. Where’s the value there? Still 10 minute drive from the beach, shops, schools… public transport there isn’t great either… bruh….

will be interesting to see what happens in a 5-10 year period from now when interest rates are rising

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

No mate, he’s an agent in the area you’re looking at and a good bloke. We still live in a country where unskilled labourers and wharfies earn more than doctors. 20 years of savings? Where mate?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m talking about houses (not apartments, townhouses, duplexes). And in the last 6 months try and go buy a duplex in the shire, 1.8m+ all of them. And all you get is 5 pokey “bedrooms” on 250sqm.

if you want to borrow 1.8m you need roughly over 300k combined salary.
1.8, 2.4, 5 bedrooms etc? My point is just being reinforced

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Beware guys I fixed my home loan Tuesday at 1.99% with ANZ (1 year but with an offset my mortgage is pretty small so that's all I need) today I went back online and that same product is now 2.29% all there fixed rates have gone up which means banks are expecting Variable rates to go up sooner rather than later!
Yep and they’ll all get set for a rise. The reserve banks predictions will be a year or so off. I can only give my advice but at the end of the day I’ll keep buying at the right times and helping friends and family who want to listen

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No mate, he’s an agent in the area you’re looking at and a good bloke. We still live in a country where unskilled labourers and wharfies earn more than doctors. 20 years of savings? Where mate?
Oh fair enough.. I meant 20 years of savings to buy one place outright these days.. They bought their five places outright in that same amount of time.. I don't think they had one mortgage during that time.. And the properties they did buy (mainly out West) barely went up in value unlike today.. In the 60's they sold a terrace on Oxford St to build a house in Condell Park.. If they'd bought houses in better areas, the whole family would have been laughing.. Instead they bought five Old Kent Roads instead of three Leicester Squares.. Haha..

As I said before.. Property value is all about timing and investing in certain areas at the right time. Unfortunately they didn't.. Nowadays you could invest in pretty much any area and it will go up a shitload unlike back then.. Even dipshits now with no idea can make a mint and think that they're Harry Triguboff or some real estate mogul because of the insane increase in prices.

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sydney property market is just one big fat ponzi scheme that's only serving to widen the gap between the haves and have nots. And the goal is to get your foot onto the "property ladder" so you're not missing out on getting rich like everyone else. And its slowly spilling over into other markets.

I'm not going to suggest owning a home is a human right of some sort, but you should be able to buy as home without signing your life away for 30 years or relying on the bank of mum and dad.

But, does society even see it as a problem, and if so, what should be done about it? is the next question...
I think the first thing they definitely have to do is abolish Stamp Duty. It prices so many first home buyers out of the market. It is such a volatile tax anyway that depends on how the market is performing. It should be changed to an annual payment.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh fair enough.. I meant 20 years of savings to buy one place outright these days.. They bought their five places outright in that same amount of time.. I don't think they had one mortgage during that time.. And the properties they did buy (mainly out West) barely went up in value unlike today.. In the 60's they sold a terrace on Oxford St to build a house in Condell Park.. If they'd bought houses in better areas, the whole family would have been laughing.. Instead they bought five Old Kent Roads instead of three Leicester Squares.. Haha..

As I said before.. Property value is all about timing and investing in certain areas at the right time. Unfortunately they didn't.. Nowadays you could invest in pretty much any area and it will go up a shitload unlike back then.. Even dipshits now with no idea can make a mint and think that they're Harry Triguboff or some real estate mogul because of the insane increase in prices.
It's the phenomenon known as pulling the ladder up. Where once upon a time owning a home was affordable for everyone if they made sacrifices, we entered an era where those who bought multiple properties when it only took a few years of savings and hard work now recognise the benefit of it and will probably die with reasonable wealth. But to do that they've been quite happy to create a situation where their grandkids are probably going to have to work for 20 to 30 years to afford a small basic home. It began under Howard. Back when he was in the PM job house prices were getting pushed up and it's pretty much been steadily inflating prices since because that's pretty much all the liberal party knows to keep the economy rising. One of their schemes was to give people from overseas free citizenship of they bought houses here (at least that was the case a few years back, not sure about now) and that pushed the average prices above a million. But a lot of people think it'll keep rising forever. If the ass drops out of the market as I expect it will, plenty of people are going to be paying 20 to 30 year loans on property that won't ever be worth what they paid for it. And I think there's a level of delusion and desperation for the prices to keep rising.

@Natboy the issue with saying that 300k combined income earners is around average is just plain wrong. Might be a decent portion earning those incomes. But they're high on an income pyramid where we include a CEO earning billion dollar bonuses to calculate that average. Still seems to be more homes I know of where a couple both work for under 80k a year combined and the job market has meant that it's hard to find even that kind of income with casualisation of jobs.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's the phenomenon known as pulling the ladder up. Where once upon a time owning a home was affordable for everyone if they made sacrifices, we entered an era where those who bought multiple properties when it only took a few years of savings and hard work now recognise the benefit of it and will probably die with reasonable wealth. But to do that they've been quite happy to create a situation where their grandkids are probably going to have to work for 20 to 30 years to afford a small basic home. It began under Howard. Back when he was in the PM job house prices were getting pushed up and it's pretty much been steadily inflating prices since because that's pretty much all the liberal party knows to keep the economy rising. One of their schemes was to give people from overseas free citizenship of they bought houses here (at least that was the case a few years back, not sure about now) and that pushed the average prices above a million. But a lot of people think it'll keep rising forever. If the ass drops out of the market as I expect it will, plenty of people are going to be paying 20 to 30 year loans on property that won't ever be worth what they paid for it. And I think there's a level of delusion and desperation for the prices to keep rising.

@Natboy the issue with saying that 300k combined income earners is around average is just plain wrong. Might be a decent portion earning those incomes. But they're high on an income pyramid where we include a CEO earning billion dollar bonuses to calculate that average. Still seems to be more homes I know of where a couple both work for under 80k a year combined and the job market has meant that it's hard to find even that kind of income with casualisation of jobs.
Agreed and I didn’t say that’s an average wage. I was just saying I know numerous people on much less money who have got into the property market by buying dumps in less desirable areas. Some have self renovated, some haven’t. Most have upgraded to nicer places or areas but it’s taken time.

I know how hard it is to get into the market but it’s definitely achievable on any income if you’re prepared to buy somewhere less desirable and work your way up but that’s not going to happen if young people are impatient and want it all now.

I don’t agree with punishing those who have worked hard to have investment properties but I would stop any foreign buyers. I’d also scrap stamp duty and make the first home buyers grant double if you live in the house for two years