Surrendering on the 5th Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its not like we die on the last every single set, we did do a few kicks. But when the kick isnt on (ie they are in your face) its not a good idea to force it, so its a good play to turn it over inside their 20 instead of giving them 7 at the 20. While we dont have the scariest last tackle plays going around, we give the ball back to them inside thier 20 nearly every set, and dont give away many 7 tackle sets.

I think in yesterday's game we actually kicked more then what we have all year when attacking the line. I bet after hasler seen what happen when renoylds went for kick he will drill it into team telling them this is why we do t Kick.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I've often wondered... if it goes over the deadball line it's a 7 tackle set, but what if the player ran to the line and drilled a kick sideways across the face of the goalline (so worst case it goes over the sideline in goal), and a better case it forces the defending side to play or risk our players regathering and scoring.

I haven't actually seen any side attempt that this year, but it's a bloody good move if pulled off correctly.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the bullshit rule came in because of us, there was a big uproar about us kicking it dead every set when up against billy slater I think? and the carry on was it was boring and negative brand of football that needed to be stamped out......funny enough it was Des again who found another way to be negative and boring in another way

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You've summed it up pretty well; particularly your points about the penalties we concede when we have them trapped in their own 10 metres. Watching the final 10 minutes of today's game, I was blown away by the infringements from the Titans when they had us on our own line - even the Fox commentators were wondering why the penalties for hold downs were not awarded. The Titans had no problems getting penalties when caught on their line. Makes you wonder.

Penalty count ran 2-1 in favour of the Tits yesterday, nothing out of the ordinary for us. Last year we won only 2 penalty counts.

I completely agree with your point relating to the penalties.

It was obvious to every person in the ground other than the two officiating in the middle, that there was a lot of extra work in some of the tackles on us and although I have not yet watched the replay it will be interesting to see what Voss and co have to say. I made the comment before game day that the referee Klein would make it difficult for us and so far this year when he has been officiating we have not won the penalty count. The second referee Chris James in my opinion was completely out of his depth and at times looked completely lost.
One checking stats, we have won only one penalty count in the last two years when either of these officials( together or separately) have been in charge and that was against the Roosters last year in Round 21 where we received 6 consecutive penalties which appeared deliberately given away while the Roosters were in defence.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
upload_2016-4-24_18-19-40.png

So this is what I mean. Work it up the middle on the 5th, and instead of the hail mary bomb, hooker passes to halves player, who runs ahead of the line and drills a grubber DIRECTLY across his attacking line, rather than straight kicking for line.

So the ball pretty much races across the ground right in front of our players following it through, angled at the sideline not the defending side.

If done correctly and the attack comes up and puts pressure on the opposing side, surely mistakes are going to be made (or a winger/centre gathers it and gets pushed over the sideline). In the odd chance a winger gathers it and breaks the (now) defensive line, fullback is there in cover.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 392

So this is what I mean. Work it up the middle on the 5th, and instead of the hail mary bomb, hooker passes to halves player, who runs ahead of the line and drills a grubber DIRECTLY across his attacking line, rather than straight kicking for line.

So the ball pretty much races across the ground right in front of our players following it through, angled at the sideline not the defending side.

If done correctly and the attack comes up and puts pressure on the opposing side, surely mistakes are going to be made (or a winger/centre gathers it and gets pushed over the sideline). In the odd chance a winger gathers it and breaks the (now) defensive line, fullback is there in cover.
Someone send this to Des

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It is a smart move, but lets be honest our halves are really kicking effectively... Shouldn't they be polishing this in game ?
Might be good not to give away 7 tackles, but what happens in finals and we need points quickly... will we surrender ?
People say premierships aren't won early and thats true, however the foundation needs to take shape and currently we have nothing to be really impressed about.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
View attachment 392

Reynolds would kick it straight into the hands of a flyer who races 80-90 to score lol

Reactions: Izy

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
a bit of variety would be nice, I'm not against getting tackled on the fifth but if it happens every play when we are in the opposition ten it's not very hard to defend against knowing a kick isn't coming.
You will be waiting a long time if you're waiting on variety from Des lol.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just putting it out there, why don't we try angled grubber kicks in the I goal area with chasers coming through like the 95% of all other NRL teams?? That is the obvious play on the 5th in the modern era.. Or an old school bomb with chasers contesting?
If we do anything outside of a cross field kick or a "run it on the last" play I'd fall off my seat at the game.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just putting it out there, why don't we try angled grubber kicks in the I goal area with chasers coming through like the 95% of all other NRL teams?? That is the obvious play on the 5th in the modern era.. Or an old school bomb with chasers contesting?
If we do anything outside of a cross field kick or a "run it on the last" play I'd fall off my seat at the game.
been asking that same question for the past 3 years

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mbye put one on v Warriors but thst was a one off dare I say fluke

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
is it way too obvious that we've got a guy like Rona who is tall, can jump and a wingspan of a terridactal and we rarely take advantage of this?

We should also be using guys like Kasiano Klemmer, Jackson and Trex for Barge over plays close to the line (Raiders do this very well).. I do recall though against Manly, we did run a great play for Kasiano who scored a great try from a rehearsed inside ball close to the stripe but we seem to run these plays every once in a while.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the bullshit rule came in because of us, there was a big uproar about us kicking it dead every set when up against billy slater I think? and the carry on was it was boring and negative brand of football that needed to be stamped out......funny enough it was Des again who found another way to be negative and boring in another way
Thats 3 things they changed because of Des, they sped up the game because they didn't like the wrestle despite the storm doing it worse. Obstruction rule was the other.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Running it on the 5th is a good / safe option that i have no problem with. I have a problem with shit kicks gifting the opposition 7 tackles

Reactions: Izy

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 392

Excellent idea. Only problem I have with this is exactly what Barnzy said. Depending on who you're kicking it too.
The key is, when kicking, make sure you keep it on the ground, soft and in the middle of play so that,
1. Nobody catches it on the full in the in-goal for a set of seven.
2. The ball doesn't roll out on either side of the in-goal and the touchline.
3. If caught within the goal-line we have two chances of either repeat set or attacker on their 1-10 metre line on tackle 1.
4. Defense needs to, what we used to call. HAMMER!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
View attachment 392

Knowing our halves that explanation is too complicated. You will have to demonstrate how its done

Status
Not open for further replies.