Opinion SUPER LEAGUE 2.0

Should there be a rival competition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If Super League was done properly the first time it would have worked and Rugby League would be a much bigger game around the globe.

3 Sydney
3 Brisbane
2 NZ
1 each in every other capital around the country.

This concept would break into other areas and countries around the world.
This concept would break into other areas and countries around the world.
Hasn’t exactly worked for the BBL (or even the much bigger and lucrative IPL). Sport is largely local and tribal. Where it’s global it’s just marketing. Kids in China and Texas don’t care about cricket or rugby league and never likely will regardless of what spin is put on any competition. Those ships sailed long ago.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I "believe" that the current rules allow for each player to receive up to $200,000 in TPA, which would some clubs to have a roster of $6M more than some other club, $200,000 By 30 equals $6M.
Nice work in evening out the tallant NRL
As far as I know there are no caps on the TPA agreements, this is where things swing out off balance.
Strong clubs let's just say attract the biggest portions of that pretending they know nothing about the whole charade,
For example, The Rorters every year call for a fans night ( invitational only ) rich people turning up to deliver financial support to the player, the circus goes on and on as if nothing has ever happened.
We should have held onto the name The Sydney Bulldogs it's a way of attracting wider financial support !!!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The NRL is rotten from the top down. Peter V'Landys and co have taken the game into a different direction and sought after a different audience. I can barely sit through an NRL game these days. I want to see big collisions, not a game of touch footy. If i want to see a high scoring game, I will watch AFL, if I want a softer version of Rugby, I can watch touch footy, but when I want to see what used to be the best combination of big hits, and skill, I cannot expect to see that in a game of NRL anymore.

The stupidest argument was to curb expansion because states like WA and SA have no interest in footy. It makes no sense. Anyone who has been involved in a large corporation understands that you need to take a short term hit to build a consumer base in a new market. Put a team in Perth, front up the cost** for a couple of years, and let the people from the state slowly bed their way into footy and an attachment to the club.

Talent is on the decline because the NRL is the only sporting code in the world that has 90% of its player come from two states. What is crazy is how Victoria is our second most populous state and has produced about 5 players in 120 years. That is not a Melbourne issue, that is an NRL infrastructure issue. There is basically no pathways in Victoria, WA, SA, Tasmania, and NT.

The NRL is also horrible at marketing its own game. Its got a horrible media setup, and no one likes the personalities on their shows. You don't even need to spend more on media, just find good personalities.

**Most people would be surprised at how much money is wasted by the NRL, and yet the narrative is they cant make changes because theyre broke. The money is there, use it properly.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL is rotten from the top down. Peter V'Landys and co have taken the game into a different direction and sought after a different audience. I can barely sit through an NRL game these days. I want to see big collisions, not a game of touch footy. If i want to see a high scoring game, I will watch AFL, if I want a softer version of Rugby, I can watch touch footy, but when I want to see what used to be the best combination of big hits, and skill, I cannot expect to see that in a game of NRL anymore.

The stupidest argument was to curb expansion because states like WA and SA have no interest in footy. It makes no sense. Anyone who has been involved in a large corporation understands that you need to take a short term hit to build a consumer base in a new market. Put a team in Perth, front up the cost** for a couple of years, and let the people from the state slowly bed their way into footy and an attachment to the club.

Talent is on the decline because the NRL is the only sporting code in the world that has 90% of its player come from two states. What is crazy is how Victoria is our second most populous state and has produced about 5 players in 120 years. That is not a Melbourne issue, that is an NRL infrastructure issue. There is basically no pathways in Victoria, WA, SA, Tasmania, and NT.

The NRL is also horrible at marketing its own game. Its got a horrible media setup, and no one likes the personalities on their shows. You don't even need to spend more on media, just find good personalities.

**Most people would be surprised at how much money is wasted by the NRL, and yet the narrative is they cant make changes because theyre broke. The money is there, use it properly.
There are a lot of people who moved from Sydney to Perth that hate AFL and go to Western Force games because it's the closest they get to an NRL game. That migration is still going on due to the mining demand for FIFO tradies, that get paid very well. The Perth Bears is always on the cards.

That said I think Pacifica will be next, playing in Nth Qld (maybe Cairns) with players from PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. They will play most home games in Nth Qld and possibly one game in each of the 4 countries. Albanese has already offered $few million for a PNG NRL team, that could easily be swung over to a combined team with the view of a stand alone PNG team in a few years.

Always a Bulldog

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think there is a cap on TPA’s at all. I have never heard of a $200k cap?

I recall when Cronk went to the Rooster’s half his deal was a TPA

If you’re a super rich fan but not a club sponsor I believe you can pay whatever you want as a TPA. This is one of the main reasons the Salary Cap is an absolute farce. It doesn’t exist for some clubs.
I heard it a few times that the max amount a player was allowed in TPA'S was $200,000, and the amount was not included in the cap . If Cronk went to the rotters for $200,000 + $200,00 = $400,000 and the NRL ignored it then we have been fooled big time by the NRL.
I guess if all the other Club's fans haven't heard it, its a case of what they don't know dosen't hurt them,

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I heard it a few times that the max amount a player was allowed in TPA'S was $200,000, and the amount was not included in the cap . If Cronk went to the rotters for $200,000 + $200,00 = $400,000 and the NRL ignored it then we have been fooled big time by the NRL.
I guess if all the other Club's fans haven't heard it, its a case of what they don't know dosen't hurt them,
Cronk had $100k "scholarship" to Harvard as well, education is outside the Cap.

Always a Bulldog