Steve Mortimer returning to beloved Bulldogs for NRL opener against Melbourne Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
CANTERBURY legend Steve Mortimer will return to Belmore on Friday night, declaring the Bulldogs will always have his full support.

A former board director, Mortimer stood down in acrimonious fashion last October, having publicly declared he would resign from his position if coach Des Hasler’s 2017 contract was renewed.

And while talks between Hasler and the Bulldogs hierarchy remain ongoing, Mortimer has accepted an invitation from the Canterbury board to watch his beloved team’s opening-round 6pm clash with Melbourne on Friday at Belmore Sports Ground.

“Absolutely I will be there,’’ Mortimer told The Sunday Telegraph.

“I’ll go willingly as I’ve been invited.

“I played for the blue and whites for 13 years and there’s no other reason I wouldn’t.’’

Mortimer said he stood by his final words to Hasler, following his resignation.

“As I said when I put my resignation in, Des was the last person I saw and I shook his hand and said all the best for 2017,’’ Mortimer said.

“I went and sat down with Raelene (Castle) two days ago and we had a great chat.

“They are the team I will always support.’’

Unlike the bookmakers, who have posted the Bulldogs at $23 — their longest odds in eight years — to make the finals, Mortimer was unwavering in his belief they would fill a top-eight position for a sixth consecutive season.

“The Bulldogs will be up there, I’ve got no problem with saying that all,’’ Mortimer said.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/steve-mortimer-returning-to-beloved-bulldogs-for-nrl-opener-against-melbourne-storm/news-story/8ef2cba1455a0db0deeac1b6ca6275d5

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A true bulldog through and through,he was one of my favs growing up as a teenager.
It's a shame that some of current players don't share the same passion as
What Mr Magic had for our great club,nor the talent !
I live only a couple of streets away from Steve,he still wears the old doggies Jersey occasionally when taking his dog for daily walks.
Salute you Steve Mortimer,Champion bulldog

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd say he has been asked him to publicly support the club (even though his support would never waver) to curb the ill sentiment fans have towards the club, due to their decision to support hasler over him.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that he was shattered when punted from the club.
But still believe that his support for the dogs is unwavering
Steve will be involved at the club again one day.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve seems like the only decent bloke we have left around the club.
Unfortunately our current board has a boys club mentality
They are just looking after themselves financially
Steve just didn't fit into there scheming ways,very unjust
And a huge loss of a real clubman.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shows how much he cares for the club, good on him for attending.

Makes me angry that we have hangers on like Dib and Castle whilst we treat Turvey like garbage when he all he did was say what alot of fans and commentators were thinking.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shows how much he cares for the club, good on him for attending.

Makes me angry that we have hangers on like Dib and Castle whilst we treat Turvey like garbage when he all he did was say what alot of fans and commentators were thinking.
Turvey was here long before Castle, Dibb and Hasler and will be here long after. He actually cares about the club unlike some others that are milking it for their own self interests.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd say he has been asked him to publicly support the club (even though his support would never waver) to curb the ill sentiment fans have towards the club, due to their decision to support hasler over him.
Mortimer is a bulldogs fan as well as a bulldog legend!!!! THATS WHY HE WILL SUPPORT THE TEAM AND GO TO THE GAME!!!! There is no sinister backplot. No one is pulling strings to make the clubs image improve by making him do something he doesnt want to do.
Why are you always so negative mate??

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could all learn a thing or too from the great man me included

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mortimer is a bulldogs fan as well as a bulldog legend!!!! THATS WHY HE WILL SUPPORT THE TEAM AND GO TO THE GAME!!!! There is no sinister backplot. No one is pulling strings to make the clubs image improve by making him do something he doesnt want to do.
Why are you always so negative mate??
I don't think I'm negative. I just read between the lines and don't allow passion to cloud my judgement.
It's not a coincidence that he had a meeting with raelene 2 days ago and now feels like he needs to publicly come out and tell people he'll be at the game.
Why would he do that ? He's at most games.
The club asked him to do it.

Reactions: DT

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't know why people read too far into comments in these stories. Players gets asked a question and people think the response is an insight into how the team will play. Mortimer is a top bloke but everything he said is what you would expect him to say. It's like when Reynolds says he wants to be more of a leader. It's just stuff you have to say. The truth is in actions and results.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a case of eating some humble pie and trying to repair burnt bridges.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turvey said:

“I’ll go willingly as I’ve been invited.

“I played for the blue and whites for 13 years and there’s no other reason I wouldn’t.’’

Mortimer said he stood by his final words to Hasler, following his resignation.

“As I said when I put my resignation in, Des was the last person I saw and I shook his hand and said all the best for 2017,’’ Mortimer said.

“I went and sat down with Raelene (Castle) two days ago and we had a great chat.

“They are the team I will always support.’’

I'm not reading anything into this that's not there, nor am I double guessing what anyone has said. But personally I think that this is the beginning of a plan to restore the Bulldogs pride and culture. That will obviously be a major operation that will need a Bulldog who can proudly say "I've been there and done it; and I'm ready to do it again".

To achieve this task the Bulldogs need to do more than change the cleaning staff and handyman; it needs to start with a thorough clean out from the top.

Is Ray Dib looking nervously over his shoulder?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think I'm negative. I just read between the lines and don't allow passion to cloud my judgement.
It's not a coincidence that he had a meeting with raelene 2 days ago and now feels like he needs to publicly come out and tell people he'll be at the game.
Why would he do that ? He's at most games.
The club asked him to do it.
Fair enough. And of course you are rntitled to your opinion. For sure i wear bulldogs goggles, but im not ignorant to the team and clubs flaws.
The club may well have asked him to do it, but they didnt have a gun to his head either. He simply chose to be the bigger man as he continually does. After the way the club has treated him he has more reason then anyone to have bad blood with the club. But he takes the high road because he is a good man.
If he can do it after all of this, then i believe any supporter of our great club should be able to put their grievences aside and just support the club instead of criticising everything they read about the club.
But this is my opinion, and im not singling you out for criticism, im just expressing how i feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.